Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live

Battle.net announces Blizzard's Real ID party feature is now live in Word of Warcraft, allowing players to party up with their Real ID friends of the same faction, regardless of the realm they play on. The Real ID Website and FAQ have further details. Here's a bit:

When delving into the depths of Azeroth's darkest dungeons, it always helps to have some friends at your side... now you're able to issue a call to arms no matter what realm they play on. We're pleased to announce the new Real ID Party feature is now available for testing! This new feature will allow World of Warcraft players to invite their real-life Real ID friends of the same faction to a party regardless of the realm they play on, and then queue up for a 5-player regular or Heroic dungeon.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 18, 2011, 08:41 Verno

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 14:12:
But they are the essential part of it and the main reason why people dont want it!
What could anyone do with a fucking internal Blizzard number? They have our data already anyway.

That's a great point, they could simply used a Blizzard account type service instead if they were worried about account hijacking with battle.net email addresses. There was no good reason to use real names, Blizzard games aren't so ubiquitous that we would get Bob confused with Bob.Smith from accounting at work or something. Maybe they thought this would make it easier to tie into Facebook or something, who knows.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 16:04 Dades

Sure a guy could decide he doesn't like me and maybe figure out where I live and subscribe me to "Man-Boy Love Monthly", but isn't just doing things like going outside into the real world equally a risk? Not trying to inject myself into the middle of a flame war, just wondering aloud what is so bad about people knowing your real name

Maybe you're comfortable with that kind of transparency but not everyone is. It's the video game equivalent of wanting a listed phone number or not. People want access to the features without having compromise their privacy, I don't think that's too much to ask.

Seriously Dades, the best you've got is to regurgitate my own words back to me, trying and insult me? Very very sad. As usual you lack original thought.

If you don't have a real rebuttal then maybe you should do what you say for a change.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2011, 16:09.

63. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 14:20 Krovven

Dades wrote on Jul 17, 2011, 10:51:
Ray is far from a troll. I responded to him. Did I need your permission?

Sorry you aren't one of the five people who knows what they are talking about here. I guess it hasn't occurred to you that maybe Rays case and many others differ from your own experiences here judging by how you seem to be the only person on your side of things.

Clearly you speak for the total population of WoW, therefore your opinion means more, oh wait, right it doesn't. Move along Dades.

I thought you left already? Oh wait I guess your word is about as worthwhile as your opinion. Move along, again.

Seriously Dades, the best you've got is to regurgitate my own words back to me, trying and insult me? Very very sad. As usual you lack original thought.

62. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 11:24 Prez

Not trying to inject myself into the middle of a flame war, just wondering aloud what is so bad about people knowing your real name. Lots of people know my real name (including everyone on Blues who cares to check), and nothing bad has ever come of it. I understand anonymity and all that, but even being a private person, I don't really see the harm.

Sure a guy could decide he doesn't like me and maybe figure out where I live and subscribe me to "Man-Boy Love Monthly", but isn't just doing things like going outside into the real world equally a risk? I work with people who can't stand me and know my full name AND address; doesn't mean I'm going to barricade myself in a bunker for the rest of my life. You just deal.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

61. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 10:51 Dades

Sorry you aren't one of the five people who knows what they are talking about here. I guess it hasn't occurred to you that maybe Rays case and many others differ from your own experiences here judging by how you seem to be the only person on your side of things.

Clearly you speak for the total population of WoW, therefore your opinion means more, oh wait, right it doesn't. Move along Dades.

I thought you left already? Oh wait I guess your word is about as worthwhile as your opinion. Move along, again.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2011, 11:02.

60. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 04:02 Krovven

Dades wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 22:56:
So much for you leaving because of all those trolls.

Obviously you represent the total population of WOW so case closed and Rays point means nothing.

Wasn't aware I had to represent the entire population of WoW to talk to someone that I know, is on my Steam friends list and at one time played WoW with.

59. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 00:07 Teddy

yuastnav wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 04:57:
Teddy wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 00:29:
[...]

So you want to talk about Dungeons & Dragons without even mentioning Jack Vance? Good sir, you just lost all credibility.

I get the impression this is supposed to be humor (if not, it's a pretty poor argument), though I have to admit that I fail to see how not being familiar with a single author has any bearing on what I actually said, regardless of how fond the creators of D&D may have been of him.

58. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 22:56 Dades

So much for you leaving because of all those trolls. Obviously you represent the total population of WOW so case closed and Rays point means nothing.

But they are the essential part of it and the main reason why people dont want it!

No one cares about their close friends having it obviously but its the edge cases where you might want someone on your global list but not to have access to your full name that really suck. People want the functionality divorced from the names for a reason.

57. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 15:19 Krovven

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 18:12:
Because, if you're playing with friends, you routinely play on different servers, right?

Yep. When WoW first came out, I had various pockets of friends joining various servers for different reasons. I ended up being on a server with you Ray. When I started playing again in WoTLK I had family and friends on a different server, so I ended up transferring there. But then there was another 2 friends that were both in a top guild on there respective servers. Then I found out some RL friends were playing again, but also on different servers.

So yes, I have friends playing on many different servers.

56. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 14:15 Muscular Beaver

Luke wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 13:07:
Just an example for the complete idiots here...

well i guess it good for the world that we have some1 like you then , mr muscular Beaver

Dont put words in my mouth. Its very simple, and if people cant understand that simple stuff and actually try to argue about it, nobody should be surprised that people get pissed at such audacity and arrogance.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

55. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 14:12 Muscular Beaver

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 12:42:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 09:47:
Theres some invention thats called numbers. And you can hide them too! I even heard that login names are unique too! OMG!

In no way did you outline an alternative for Real ID, you just gave options for new identifiers, it would still be essentially the same system, I conceded full names were not necessary.

What could anyone do with a fucking internal Blizzard number? They have our data already anyway.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2011, 14:39.

- Mojo Jojo

54. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 13:07 Luke

well i guess it good for the world that we have some1 like you then , mr muscular Beaver

53. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 12:42 fujiJuice

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 09:47:
Theres some invention thats called numbers. And you can hide them too! I even heard that login names are unique too! OMG!

In no way did you outline an alternative for Real ID, you just gave options for new identifiers, it would still be essentially the same system, I conceded full names were not necessary.

52. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 09:47 Muscular Beaver

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 00:47:
WoW borrows all if it's new UI ideas from the most popular user addon's something which I think is benefit to most players, probably where the other MMO's got them as well.

As far as everyone saying Real ID wasn't necessary for all these new features, I would like to hear what you would have done. You need some sort of unique identifier for players across all servers, their battle.net account is an ideal choice, instead of making something entirely new. I don't think a lot of you are considering the backend operations needed for everything to work properly, granted displaying someones real name isn't necessary, but the rest is. I think the name is just bad, and has a stigma attached to it, it really is just a blizzard system wide unique identifier.

- Mojo Jojo

51. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 Zadig

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 13:27:
Zadig wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 12:48:
Abandoning the multiple server model in future MMOs is my preferred fix, but this is a nice way to address that flaw in the older games.

I don't think you will ever see this. I prefer multiple world servers over having every different location being an instance server, it ruins the world scope of an MMO in my opinion. In fact I don't feel such a configuration falls under the definition of MMO, which is why I disagree with Guild Wars being called one. Now I realize EVE doesn't do this, but 400,000 people on one server is different than 10 million. Even if it was technologically feasible in the future, it wouldn't be practical, nothing could be accomplished do to the sheer number of people around.

EVE is capable of scaling to accommodate any number of players simply by expanding the gameworld as the population increases. There's no leveling and content is largely player driven so adding new systems (zones) for people to mine, mission, and murder each other is a simple matter. There are hardware issues caused by players per system, but not total players. I don't think of Guild Wars as an MMO either, but I prefer instancing and a unified community over the alternative.

My suggestion is aimed at the doomed WoWclones that will never see 100k subscribers much less 10 million. They start with dozens of servers and then shut most of them down a few months later. They can skip that embarrassment by just sticking everyone on one server to begin with and expand if needed. Their ultimate populations would be higher too, since players would have a better chance of finding people they enjoy playing with before they quit to try one of the 378,912 other MMOs.

50. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 04:57 yuastnav

Teddy wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 00:29:
[...]

So you want to talk about Dungeons & Dragons without even mentioning Jack Vance? Good sir, you just lost all credibility.

49. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 00:59 Dades

As far as everyone saying Real ID wasn't necessary for all these new features, I would like to hear what you would have done

I can tell you what most people wouldn't have done, they wouldn't have tried to insist users go by their first and last names.

48. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 00:47 fujiJuice

WoW borrows all if it's new UI ideas from the most popular user addon's something which I think is benefit to most players, probably where the other MMO's got them as well.

As far as everyone saying Real ID wasn't necessary for all these new features, I would like to hear what you would have done. You need some sort of unique identifier for players across all servers, their battle.net account is an ideal choice, instead of making something entirely new. I don't think a lot of you are considering the backend operations needed for everything to work properly, granted displaying someones real name isn't necessary, but the rest is. I think the name is just bad, and has a stigma attached to it, it really is just a blizzard system wide unique identifier.

47. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 00:29 Teddy

Doombringer wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 23:54:
Teddy wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 22:08:
http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/deathknight.shtml

Care to try that again? The Death Knight class came from the Death Knight hero class in Warcraft 3, which vastly predates anything Age of Conan did.

Dislike a game if you want, dislike a company if you want, but you really should draw the line at libel. It doesn't take more than a handful of seconds to actually look something up, try it once and a while and you won't look so stupid.

I agree with you, but I had to laugh when you pointed to Warcraft 3 as being the source of an original idea. I'm a huge fan of Blizzard, but damn, they cribbed a LOT from Games Workshop.

If we're going to go that far back, then I can just as easily point out how many things Games Workshop 'cribbed' from Dungeons and Dragons. In truth, the first occurance of a "Death Knight" in any game, to my knowledge was from Dungeons and Dragons back in the late 70's.

And of course if we're going to talk about D&D, may as well talk about Tolkien, and from there we can go back to CS Lewis, and from there to R.E.Howard, from there to Dodgson, the Brothers Grimm, etc, etc back to myth and legend.

The nature of art is that it builds on what came before. Hell, the nature of the world is such. My point wasn't specifically to say that Blizzard is the glorious creator of all things, but to dismiss the idea that they "Stole" the idea for Death Knights from a game that doesn't have the history (much less the relevance) to even make an absurd claim like that.

46. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 00:19 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 17:00:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 16:46:
Krowen, you're an idiot. Seriously.

Not as idiotic as you, who can't even defend your comments with any sort of substance.

Anyways, I'm done, the trolls are out in full force here. Thankfully there is a handful of people that have posted that know what the fuck they are talking about.

Jesus dude, pull blizzard's cock out of your ass and put it back in your mouth and stfu already, fuck Real ID.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo