Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:25 DG

Hmm, I'm not so convinced this would be "worse for our brains" or whatever. People deal with a ton more information now, it wouldn't surprise me if people were deliberately dumping half of it and still remembering more stuff than someone in 1990.

Due to the volume of information it's more important to know what needs to be remembered. The testing was with trivia, would they have found the same results with important information relating to a task at work?

Also, "how many countries have flags with only one color?" In a pub quiz this might be a somewhat enjoyable activity with a small group of friends working it out from memory, where points might be given just for a good/close answer. On a computer, people tend to assume it wants an exact correct answer therefore it is something to look up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 16, 2011, 09:16 DG

Esoteric wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:23:
Regarding these PC sales, do any of these statistics take personally built PCs into consideration? I know the number would be very low, but it doesn't seem like they could record such sales since people buy different parts from several places.
I take it this is re: the ars article?

Usually this data is gathered for market analysis where they're interested in Dell vs HP with a backdrop of "Dell, HP etc" market, rather than absolute market of all personal computers.

That said, the "other" column may well include an estimate based on e.g. total PSU shipments less a % for repairs. That seems a reasonably reliable and efficient method for the catch-all group, and would catch self-builds along with all the small companies.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2011, 10:58 reisub

Ah, well I knew Libya but didn't know their weren't any others. Since my memory is generally pretty shocking I'd be lost without the goog. Will exam boards accept this reality or is testing going to still be based largely on memory? Maybe it's a trend we need to fight. I mean, if a huge solar flare knocks out the world's electronic storage, we need people who can remember its contents.  

4. Re: Study: why bother to remember when you can just use Google? Jul 15, 2011, 09:30 Alamar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:41:

The memory aspect of it seems to be especially bad with code. 5 years of school and 3 years of work and I still routinely refer to documentation/articles and especially surrounding code for stuff I should know as well as I do the alphabet.

Embarrassingly I'd probably be pretty lost with no internet access and a clean harddrive.

only one, it's Libya

As you age, this only gets worse... Things to look forward to... dot com...

Somewhat related... I had a job interview ~7 years ago, where a portion was to make a class that used STL extensively... Well... I had 'dabbled' with STL in the past, but nowhere enough for this... And the coding test machine had no internet (which is good), but it did have a full MSDN library, which is why I was hired : )

In short, this is nothing new... People were saying the same thing 30 years ago about calculators (and other examples I won't bring up)... 'oh, we got lerned (sic) our 'times tables' in school, we didn't need to rely on technology'... 'Ya? What's 23.6 to the power of 4... How's them times tables stacking up biatch'... <- paraphrased for your amusement : )

-Alamar

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2011, 01:50 Tanto Edge

Analysts. Ugh.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

2. Study: why bother to remember when you can just use Google? Jul 15, 2011, 00:41 Sepharo

Oh man, I am the worst about this.
The authors pose one simple example that had me immediately agreeing with their conclusions. Test yourself: how many countries have flags with only one color? Regardless of your answer, was your first thought about actual flags, or was it to consider where you would find that information? Without realizing it (even though I knew the content of the paper), I found myself mentally planning on opening up my Web browser and heading for a search engine.

Yup... Before I could even make it to "Regardless" I was nearly pressing ctrl-t w i Tab world flags Enter

The memory aspect of it seems to be especially bad with code. 5 years of school and 3 years of work and I still routinely refer to documentation/articles and especially surrounding code for stuff I should know as well as I do the alphabet.

Embarrassingly I'd probably be pretty lost with no internet access and a clean harddrive.

only one, it's Libya

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 15, 2011, 00:23 Esoteric

Regarding these PC sales, do any of these statistics take personally built PCs into consideration? I know the number would be very low, but it doesn't seem like they could record such sales since people buy different parts from several places.  

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo