Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon

Hi-Rez Studios announces that they will be bringing Tribes: Ascend to QuakeCon to allow the public the first chance to go hands-on with the continuation of this shooter franchise. QuakeCon kicks off on August 4 in Dallas, TX. Word is:

Although the game is still in Closed Alpha, conference attendees will get the first public hands-on with Tribes: Ascend at Booth 333 of QuakeCon, held in Dallas, Texas from August 4th-7th 2011. Attendees can also register to win a limited number of keys to the Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta.

“QuakeCon has been called the Woodstock of gaming and we're thrilled to introduce Tribes: Ascend at this show”, says Todd Harris, Hi-Rez Studios COO. "QuakeCon has always delivered exceptional, competitive multiplayer gaming... for free; and that’s our mission with Tribes: Ascend.”

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 20, 2011, 00:32 Beaner

I hope they change their mind about some of this stuff. Its not Tribes at all. No custom classes and loadout limits. Meh...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 14, 2011, 14:06 OldScho0l

Jerykk wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 00:17:
Don't care about the engine. I care about the horrible design choices the devs have made. Predefined loadouts, two-weapon limits, regenerating health, self-repairing bases, sniper rifle that uses ammo instead of energy, huge guns that take up a third of the screen, grinding for unlockables, etc.

It seems like they're trying to cater to CoD and Halo fans more than Tribes fans.

All these points make me cringe. If all this is true, then it's not a Tribes game at all. All those things were key components to the Tribes games. Hell, even the T:V team didn't make those mistakes.

9. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 14, 2011, 05:54 Kedyn

I'll have to swing by and check it out.  

8. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 14, 2011, 00:17 Jerykk

Don't care about the engine. I care about the horrible design choices the devs have made. Predefined loadouts, two-weapon limits, regenerating health, self-repairing bases, sniper rifle that uses ammo instead of energy, huge guns that take up a third of the screen, grinding for unlockables, etc.

It seems like they're trying to cater to CoD and Halo fans more than Tribes fans.

7. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 23:42 Jackplug

Im yet to be convinced that this game is gonna be any good, still no videos of the maps or gameplay of a game that is due out soon, for me that doesn't sound good.

I got a strong feeling that they are gonna go "surprise!!!", then the community will just laugh and then rip it to pieces. I've got a feeling this game is gonna be just one of them grinding ones, if so then its lost.

6. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 18:49 OldScho0l

Byte wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 18:18:
OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 18:04:
Why? I dislike the limitations of the Unreal engines. Tribes Vengeance used an Unreal engine and the limitations were obvious. Not sure why this is strange. Invisible walls and small maps are not good for a tribes game.

T:V was messed up by Irrational, don't blame the engine for a developer's design decisions. They broke modding which should be enough said.

It is all up to Hi-Rez on how they handle it, since current iterations of the engine can handle 10km x 10km play areas.

But.. I don't know, I'd prefer they wait and show up at PAX or some other lan/conference that is more "universal"

I've had several people give me this example of what the engine is capable of in the past, but I am yet to see a single game that proves this. They can give all the engine stats that they want, but until I see it in action, I'm calling bullshit.
I do agree that it was more than just the engine that ruined T:V. Also, even though I am giving an opinion that may be unjustified without playing the actual game, I am still going to get the game to give it a try. Who knows, maybe it will be good. I'm just going to expect the worse and hope for the best. That's how I roll.

5. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 18:18 Byte

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 18:04:
Why? I dislike the limitations of the Unreal engines. Tribes Vengeance used an Unreal engine and the limitations were obvious. Not sure why this is strange. Invisible walls and small maps are not good for a tribes game.

T:V was messed up by Irrational, don't blame the engine for a developer's design decisions. They broke modding which should be enough said.

It is all up to Hi-Rez on how they handle it, since current iterations of the engine can handle 10km x 10km play areas.

But.. I don't know, I'd prefer they wait and show up at PAX or some other lan/conference that is more "universal"

4. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 18:04 OldScho0l

Alamar wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 17:53:
OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 17:26:
I lost almost all hope in this when another user here mentioned that it's using an unreal engine. That alone is a nail in it's coffin imho.

You say some very odd things...

-Alamar

I only like the Unreal Engines for single player games. Unreal engine games tend to be deceptive as far as the size of the play areas. They appear to be large open areas until you try to traverse them and find that you are locked inside of an invisible barrier with invisible walls. This annoys me.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2011, 18:14.

3. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 17:53 Alamar

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 17:26:
I lost almost all hope in this when another user here mentioned that it's using an unreal engine. That alone is a nail in it's coffin imho.

You say some very odd things...

-Alamar

2. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 17:26 OldScho0l

1. Re: Tribes: Ascend at QuakeCon Jul 13, 2011, 16:52 elefunk

Awesome, hopefully this also means it'll be at PAX where I'll actually be attending.  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo