Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 16:52 Sir Graves

Welp, they got Blockbuster out of the way so now it's happy ball fun time! Knew this was coming (and as others have said, it'll most likely get worse with more increases and dwindling streaming titles). Nice.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 16:15 saluk

A year ago when Netflix suddenly was everywhere and people were ditching cable for it, I had a feeling that the pendulum was just gearing up for a reverse swing. Well, here it comes. Can't expect the opposition to bow out without a fight.  

20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 16:12 Deathbishop

Bhruic wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 08:51:
You don't have to start paying $16 with Netflix. They are separating the DVD side and the internet side. Each of them being $8. As long as you only really use one or the other, pick that one, and your cost actually decreases.

That would be great if the two plans were equal in terms of content but they are not. The streaming option doesn't have half the choices that the DVD option does, namely newer releases.

19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 15:42 MattyC

I haven't decided if I am going to keep my subscription or not. Either way they are getting closer and closer to pricing me out.  

18. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 15:20 Killswitch

fujiJuice wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 12:39:
His suggestion was to switch to two DVD plan which would allow two streams at once, which I did and it has worked.

So everyone who relied on two streams just received a rude awakening (including myself). Too bad they don't have the option to include additional streams without either spending $20 on the two DVD plan or starting a new account and paying another $8 a month.

17. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 14:20 avianflu

Sorry but these pricing changes are just step one. More price increases are to come. Netflix is being squeezed on both sides (ISP's and owners of digital content) and the only solution is to increase prices.  

16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 14:12 fujiJuice

nin wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 13:41:
His suggestion was to switch to two DVD plan which would allow two streams at once, which I did and it has worked. Now wtf?

Yeah, I heard as apart of the changes, if you had one disc+ streaming, you were then limited to one stream active at a time.

I used to love netflix (2 years this october or nov), but in the last few months it really feels like the honeymoon is over.

Well I can't find out what the new multi-streaming situation is regarding these changes, since their phones are being bombarded.

15. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 13:41 nin

His suggestion was to switch to two DVD plan which would allow two streams at once, which I did and it has worked. Now wtf?

Yeah, I heard as apart of the changes, if you had one disc+ streaming, you were then limited to one stream active at a time.

I used to love netflix (2 years this october or nov), but in the last few months it really feels like the honeymoon is over.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 13:08 Narf2029

I've only ever had streaming-only from Netflix, so I'm hoping this move will bring more DVD-only titles to the streaming service. It's ridiculous how often we try to find a movie to watch and find that it's only available on DVD. Sorry Netflix but if I have to get the DVD I'll go to the public library and get it for free.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 12:39 fujiJuice

So I guess I have to call them to find out what this means for my dual streaming? A few days ago I was no longer able to watch from my computer while my wife watched on the TV, when this was something we have been doing for a long time. I got an error on the computer informing me a movie was already playing, I was confused so I called them. Apparently what we were using before was the backup stream in the case that the primary stream went down, a loophole they just fixed. From the way he answered my question it seemed as though he had been answering it all day. His suggestion was to switch to two DVD plan which would allow two streams at once, which I did and it has worked. Now wtf?  

12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 09:46 Tumbler

I think I'll go to streaming only at the end of august. I don't find I'm getting movies I want to watch much from netflix. This is mostly because of that stupid 28 day lag that the content makers imposed on redbox and netflix. It feels like I get one movie a month so I think I'll just stick with streaming and turn on the dvd rental side once in a while when I have 4 or 5 movies I want to watch. Or maybe I'll just use redbox a bit more.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 09:37 Verno

A lot of the initial contracts Netflix did are coming up for renewal and the media companies know there is a lot of bling in streaming now. I can't really blame Netflix, this just makes sense as they try to move away from the physical side of the operation with it's large expense tags. Now changing the UI on the other hand was just retarded.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 09:24 nin

mag wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 23:36:
I guess I have until Sept 1 before the new rates kick in, but Netflix may well have priced themselves out of my home. They want to kick my current plan from $12 to $18. <engineer>Nope.</engineer>

I'm looking at other alternatives also. My bill will go from $15 (2 discs out + streaming) to $20. Thought about going to 1 disc + streaming, but I'll be paying roughly the same, I'll get less.

I'm hoping they might backtrack and allow current users to be grandfathered in, but seeing as how everyone bitched about their website redesign and how bad it was, and how they claimed everyone loved it (when anyone who read any of the comments knew otherwise), I suspect they'll just sweep this under the rug too.

Crackle seems to have very little content. Amazon doesn't seem to be much better. Hulu is good, but they have ads, which annoy the shit out of me (even with an ad blocker, you get time out). Blockbuster's disc price is already $16 for 2 discs out, and no streaming.

I'm still pretty pissed at Netflix though, both for the second price increase in a year, and the tone of the announcement/email.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 08:51 Bhruic

You don't have to start paying $16 with Netflix. They are separating the DVD side and the internet side. Each of them being $8. As long as you only really use one or the other, pick that one, and your cost actually decreases.  

8. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 07:07 Dades

The only thing that kept my house from cutting cable was sports but we found a few websites that do that too. Saving $1500 a year and getting to watch what we want when we want, they wonder why their business models are in trouble.  

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 01:13 jimnms

I wish Amazon would get more streaming content. I would cancel Netflix's streaming and keep Amazon prime. I signed up for Prime when they began offering streaming with it, but I have only found one thing to watch on it, a TV show I was watching on Netflix. The video quality is much better than Netflix.

I don't think I watch enough Streaming TV/movies on Netflix to justify the new pricing of it.

MeanJim on Steam

6. PuTTY Jul 13, 2011, 01:01 jimnms

Wow, I thought PuTTY had been abandoned. It hasn't had an update in over 4 years. I used it for a long time. I don't need a telnet/ssh client as much anymore, but I still keep it around for when I do.  

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 00:46 Killswitch

I thought Netflix was a pretty good deal at $8. Then they raised their price to $10. Now they're going to charge $16? Wouldn't even bother me if they had a wider selection available for streaming. At any rate, I'm not going to keep the DVD option.

I don't think it's Netflix's greed, but because the price of licensing streaming titles is increasing.

Is Netflix Doomed?

CNN reports that many of the contracts Netflix signed with the studios had a user cap. As Netflix blows by those caps, the contracts implode and Netflix loses access to the content. Paying a lot more money is one way to get the movie and TV shows back, but the new deals Netflix signs will be far more expensive than those the partners drafted three or four years ago.

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 2011, 00:58.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 00:25 Stolk

Will be changing my account to streaming +1 Blu-ray. But I'm oh so close to cancelling. I need to start thinking about the alternatives.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2011, 00:25 Hyatus

Wow. Netflix is stupid. Two price hikes in less than a year? I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as this goes into effect. This is what happens when companies become greedy for more profit. It will bite them in the ass. It's only too bad that they couldn't have done this before they drove most of Blockbuster out of business.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo