Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 22:51 Killswitch

Dev wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 20:54:
BTW, this doesn't apply to OEM versions from specific vendors like dell (vista and above). Those versions look for something in the BIOS to make sure they are going on a dell computer.

The OEM version I obtained from Newegg. The licensing agreement was confusing as it stated the software wasn't to be distributed without a computer. Wasn't sure if Newegg was doing something wrong by selling it to me, but I installed it anyway. Figured there might be a new version of Windows out by the time I upgraded my hardware so I wasn't worried about it being "disposable", especially at half the cost of retail box. The information I could find at the time lead me to believe that as long as you kept the same motherboard, then your activation would remain valid. It's nice to hear otherwise, though. Thanks for the information.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 20:54 Dev

Esoteric wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 13:33:
Win7 has more users than XP on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
That's the difference between average gamers and average computer users More gamers tend to want an OS that supports dx10/11.
zerobytes wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 18:37:
jimnms wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 18:09:
Sure you can. You're not supposed to, but you can. I used the same XP OEM license through three complete system builds. The activation database flushes out old data somewhere around 3-6 months. I never once had to call MS when installing it on my new/upgraded system.

I just thought the new install would get rejected once it tried to do its online activation, but that's good to know and I will definitely try to install it on a new build. I used to always obtain my OS via unscrupulous methods so that was always a non-issue.
Yeah, its funny how legit owners always have to go through more hoops and trouble.

Anyway, even if you have to call, you can tell them you are upgrading and they give you the activation no problem.

BTW, this doesn't apply to OEM versions from specific vendors like dell (vista and above). Those versions look for something in the BIOS to make sure they are going on a dell computer.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 18:37 Killswitch

jimnms wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 18:09:
Sure you can. You're not supposed to, but you can. I used the same XP OEM license through three complete system builds. The activation database flushes out old data somewhere around 3-6 months. I never once had to call MS when installing it on my new/upgraded system.

I just thought the new install would get rejected once it tried to do its online activation, but that's good to know and I will definitely try to install it on a new build. I used to always obtain my OS via unscrupulous methods so that was always a non-issue.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 18:09 jimnms

zerobytes wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 17:21:
Only problem I have with Windows is the price. I paid $100 for an OEM that I won't be able to use when I decide to upgrade my mainboard. It's a necessary toll that has to be paid to MS.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 17:21 Killswitch

Verno wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 13:15:
Consumers have many options for upgrading computers these days, they don't have to stick to Windows if they don't want to. In fact, quite a few use mobile devices and Macs exclusively.

So what you're saying is, you have a choice between Windows or a non IBM PC compatible computer? Consumers don't really have any other choice besides Linux if you're talking about competing OS, and I have to wonder if installing a new OS on your prebuilt voids some warranty. Not much of a choice for the "average user". Only problem I have with Windows is the price. I paid $100 for an OEM that I won't be able to use when I decide to upgrade my mainboard. It's a necessary toll that has to be paid to MS.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 15:07 mag

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 13:44:
Windows 8 is going to be a very hard sell for Microsoft, all the fluff they're adding is crap I would want to turn off immediately.

I suppose they could always pull DirectX updates away from Vista/Win7 users like they did with XP. I wouldn't put it past them.

What they've shown of Win8 looks absolutely hideous.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:51 Verno

Windows 8 is going to be a very hard sell for Microsoft, all the fluff they're adding is crap I would want to turn off immediately.

I suppose they could always pull DirectX updates away from Vista/Win7 users like they did with XP. I wouldn't put it past them.

I don't know, give it a chance. People said the same thing about Aero and it did look like candy coated bullshit in the pre-release builds for quite awhile. I'm not a big fan of the touch centric UI crap but I'll give it some time to see what they come up with closer towards RC.

It's current iteration is shit though, I agree and it can't stay that way. There simply aren't enough "touch" users for anyone to even need it, the exception being maybe the tiny marketshare of Windows Phone users.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:50 Beamer

It seems too soon, but it's going to be the closest thing to revolutionary that they've had since 95, from what I gather.

Some of the features, much like the new Office features, should appeal heavily to enterprise.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:44 DangerDog

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:33 Esoteric

Win7 has more users than XP on Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey  

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:19 Beamer

Agreed with Verno. Don't see what preinstalled has to do with it, what matters is users.
Also don't see how XP is a surprise. Windows 7 came out during a recession. Not only are fewer home users upgrading but very, very few corporations are putting capex into new systems. So an overwhelming majority of enterprise computers are still running XP, and will be for some time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 13:15 Verno

Not really surprising given that XP has a decade head start. Windows 7 has a very strong uptake by comparison. As for whats preinstalled or not, I don't see why it makes a difference really. Consumers have many options for upgrading computers these days, they don't have to stick to Windows if they don't want to. In fact, quite a few use mobile devices and Macs exclusively.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2011, 12:45 Dev

And most of those are probably preinstalled on new computers.

The article mentions that XP still runs on over 50% of computers while windows 7 only has a 27% share.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo