Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: etc. Jul 14, 2011, 10:07 Ant

Bah. I am over 30 years old, and still love gaming even though I don't have time for them even as a single guy!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: etc. Jul 13, 2011, 07:27 InBlack

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 18:40:
As soon as I saw the headline, I knew there'd be pages and pages of butthurt.

Not as much as those two sluts get everyday just for being themselves.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 20:39 Prez

Not going to lie, I can't figure out where you guys with families find time to game.

It varies from person to person, but it usually involves at least some degree of sleep deprivation and neglect.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 18:40 Scottish Martial Arts

As soon as I saw the headline, I knew there'd be pages and pages of butthurt.  

21. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 16:56 OldScho0l

Maybe if these people played some video games they would be smart enough to know that they are wrong.

Some people go to the gym every day to exercise their bodies. I go to my computer most days to exercise my brain. It keeps me sharp for my technical job. My brain is 10x faster than all the people around me (at work) when it comes to solving complicated technical issues and I attribute this to the exercise I get from constant puzzle solving in video games. I leave my collegues in the dust and when it comes bonus time, guess who gets all the awards and bonuses? Video games have also taught me that there is always a solution. I've learned to either keep pushing forward or change tactics, but never give up unitl the objective is completed. I would be willing to bet that the rest of you guys can relate to this since we are all so similar and share the same interests even though we don't like to admit it on here.

I come to Blues because only here do I find people on my level. Sure, we act like we hate eachother at times, but it's the mental challenge that keeps us coming back for more.

Another benefit is how good my hand/eye coordination is compared to non-gamers. Usually when I drop something, I am able to grab it out of the air before it ever reaches the floor. It's automatic and happens instantly. I attribute this to gaming as well.

I'm also much more alert of my surroundings when driving. A good example is that I can see the frogs in the rd after it rains and am able to avoid them while my passengers can't even see the small ones. This may be due to the fact that I was a sk8er for all my teenage years and we had to avoid pebbles. The strength of a single pebble is amazing when it comes to sk8boarding. Either way, I feel that gaming has kept this skill sharp.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 17:17.

20. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 16:54 The Half Elf

SirKnight wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 13:31:
Uh oh....I turn 30 (damn it) next February so I guess I only have a few months left until I'm a weirdo basement dweller.

How sad.

But you will not be alone SirKnight, as we here at Bluesnews.com, who are over 30, shall welcome you to our community no questions asked. And we will give you the number of the guy who sold us our basements.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:45 Alamar

NoBS wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:23:
Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:17:
Yup, Valve is just dying to sell this to your neighbor, your mother in law, the IRS agent working your account and your fairy godmother.
What Valve may or may not want to do with this information is irrelevant. The fact is that once the information is gathered and stored, it can be disseminated or put to all sorts of uses whether intended or not. Just ask Sony or Epsilon about that.

Personally, I have never heard of a company purchasing another company, and getting access to all their user information...

And don't ToS's, that normal users can't even wade through, typically include lines like 'may change at any time'... Though I guess now (adays), the ToS update would trigger the re-reading (for the 0.001% of the population that does).

Nonetheless, it doesn't matter what Valve is doing with the information they gather... It can eventually be used nefariously, assuming it contains any 'real' info : ) And the option to Opt out is always there, though sometimes in the form of 'use this service or opt out (don't use it)'...

-Alamar

18. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:41 Beamer

What Valve may or may not want to do with this information is irrelevant. The fact is that once the information is gathered and stored, it can be disseminated or put to all sorts of uses whether intended or not. Just ask Sony or Epsilon about that.

So, again, I'm assuming you never, ever use a credit card, as that information is probably as easy to get as Valve's and far more damning than knowing it took you 10 hours to beat Sin Episodes Volume 1.

No, but seriously, what hacker cares that you currently own Gratuitous Space Battles and never played it. What do you think they'll do with the information?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:23 NoBS

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 16:17:
Yup, Valve is just dying to sell this to your neighbor, your mother in law, the IRS agent working your account and your fairy godmother.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 16:29.

16. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:17 Beamer

That is exactly why I don't want my video game playing habits tracked and stored by services such as Steam. Having someone find out that I have spent tens of thousands of hours playing video games in which the player wantonly kills, robs, and dismembers is not something which would be well received especially in a divorce or child custody case or at a job interview. Yet that information from Steam and its ilk is just a subpoena or a hacker attack away.

-------------

15. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:14 nin

That is exactly why I don't want my video game playing habits tracked and stored by services such as Steam.

Oh Assley, I can't believe you waited until the second paragraph.

BTW, where are you working these days? Still at Monolith?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: The Relationship Experts of the Today Show Don't Think Men in Their 30s Should Play Video Games. Jul 12, 2011, 16:12 NoBS

The negative opinions about older men and video games expressed on that television program are unfortunately quite common especially among older adults and women. That demographic includes many people in positions of power such as court judges and business executives. Of course sensational news stories such as this one certainly add fuel to the notion that men in their thirties, fourties, and older who play video games are twisted or nefarious deviants who are just waiting to go on a killing spree or molest a child.

That is exactly why I don't want my video game playing habits tracked and stored by services such as Steam. Having someone find out that I have spent tens of thousands of hours playing video games in which the player wantonly kills, robs, and dismembers is not something which would be well received by many especially in a divorce or child custody case or at a job interview. Yet that information from Steam and its ilk is just a subpoena or a hacker attack away. In some cases that information can even be viewed by anyone. See http://steamcommunity.com/id/Faptastic_/games for an example.

I know from plenty of firsthand experience that the types of video games you play or even just fact that you play video games at all given your age (especially if you don't have children) are seen as a reflection of your personality, character, and stability. Obviously I don't agree with such a perception, but it's an unfortunate reality amongst a significant percentage of the population, and it certainly can negatively impact your life if you are an older adult who plays such video games. That's why anonymous gameplay is not too much to ask, and being able to completely opt-out of any tracking should be available from every game service including Steam.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 17:27.

13. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 15:43 JoeNapalm

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 14:00:
Not going to lie, I can't figure out where you guys with families find time to game.

I have such little. I spent about 20 minutes with Frozen Synapse and 20 minutes with X-COM last night.
I'd actually say in a given week I have maybe 15 hours of free time, spread out between gaming, reading and tv watching more or less evenly.
Although I guess I spend another 8 or so screwing around online.

Sleep is highly overrated.

(Just kidding.)

((*YAAAAWN!*))

I don't have kids, but if/when I do, sleep will become VERY IMPORTANT. For them. *Grin*

But seriously, I figure that my father had time to watch NFL, MLB, college basketball, and actually played baseball. And hunted, hiked, snowshoed, cross-country ski'd, canoed, and had a sailboat. And a golf-course perfect lawn and garden.

Admittedly, I work more hours (don't tell him I said that, because he had to walk uphill both ways to work, barefoot in the snow) but I should STILL be able to find time for my games, writing, the gym, dojo, and range. And still sleep!

Oh...wait...my mom did all of the housework.

Scratch that. Sleep is overrated.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

PS - My point exactly, Alamar.

12. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 14:48 Verno

You budget your time, it's not easy but it's doable if you're organized. I find time to game the same way I find time to cook, jog, lift weights and the million other little things that comprise a daily routine. It's also much easier with a partner to share responsibilities. They will have their own hobbies that they don't want to share with the whole family too. Everyone needs "me" time, there is a time for work and a time for play as the saying goes.

Another good way is to stop playing multiple games at once. I cycle three games at any given time but generally speaking I will only play one of them a week until I've reached the point where I'm done with it.

Was visiting relatives and I mentioned that I play video games, she looks at me a says "video games? what are you a child" then proceeded to sit her ass on the couch and watch 3 hours of tivo'd the young and the restless.

Yeah, people who watch hours of mindless Nascar who then go on to criticize any other hobby amuse me too.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

11. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 14:45 Yosemite Sam

Funny, reminds me of a comment a cousin of mine made. Was visiting relatives and I mentioned that I play video games, she looks at me a says "video games? what are you a child" then proceeded to sit her ass on the couch and watch 3 hours of tivo'd the young and the restless.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 14:00 Beamer

I have such little. I spent about 20 minutes with Frozen Synapse and 20 minutes with X-COM last night.
I'd actually say in a given week I have maybe 15 hours of free time, spread out between gaming, reading and tv watching more or less evenly.
Although I guess I spend another 8 or so screwing around online.

-------------

9. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 13:42 RenownWolf

Yeah let's stop these damn evil game players when they are old!

When will some crazy new media come out so that games get mostly left alone like movies and music.... Maybe it's time to go full circle!

STOP READING BOOKS! We can't let our youth, our middle aged or even old people read these disgusting pieces of information. They only need a stick and a can in the alley to play, no more of this intelligence nonsense from books. Bah! Back in the stone ages there were no books and we were better off.

Down with Books!

http://www.renownwolf.com

8. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 13:31 SirKnight

Uh oh....I turn 30 (damn it) next February so I guess I only have a few months left until I'm a weirdo basement dweller.

How sad.

7. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 13:14 Alamar

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 12:12:
Yeah - shocking.

The TODAY show is on, what...7am to 11am?

I seriously doubt "Men in their Thirties" are the target demographic.

No, but 'Women in their Thirties' likely are, and that's who nags at said men : )

-Alamar

6. Re: etc. Jul 12, 2011, 13:10 Bill Borre

Okay. How about men in their '40s?  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo