Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The other day I mentioned the large quantity of birdseed we go through in our backyard feeder. This stuff comes in large sacks that are not easy to wrangle or use to fill the feeder, etc., so along the way I started storing it in these large plastic jugs that originally held pretzel rods, and stashing the jugs under a storage bench on the deck. Recently when cleaning up, I noticed that this storage bench is not actually fully enclosed, as the back of it is open to the underside of the deck. I found it amusing that the squirrels were still frustrating themselves on our still squirrel-proof feeder while a very accessible smorgasbord was just a couple of feet away, but I also knew that they would figure things out eventually. Well eventually came today, as I found chew-marks all over the lids of the jugs, so I had to move them back indoors. Sadly for the squirrels, they did not actually make it into the seed before their efforts were discovered... I imagined they would have themselves at least one amazing feast at my expense once they discovered this treasure trove, but they missed out.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: zOMT.
Pengu Defenders.
Links: Tetris block sticky notes for your inner design-geek.
Stories: 'First Blood' bridge's final take. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Science: In Robotics, Human-Style Perception and Motion Are Elusive. Thanks j.c.f.
Worm Drug Ivermectin Is Shown to Kill Mosquitoes. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: Lazy man with a portal gun.
Atomic Facepalm.
'Predator catcher' Hansen gets taste of own medicine.
The Funnies: How to Decide Whether to Tell the Painful Truth.
Simon's Cat.
Follow-up: The Myth of the Allergy-Free Dog. Thanks Neutronbeam.

View
13. Re: Squirrels Jul 13, 2011, 09:58 kanniballl

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 22:35:
Not sure why you guys seem to hate them so much. I think they are cute - much like our drop bears! (Possums)

True, they are cute. As far as rodents go they are among the most accepted.

Most of the complaints on this site are that they'll eat / horde all of the bird seed like gluttons... thus depriving the birds of any. At which point, what's the purpose of leaving out the bird seed if the birds don't have any and won't come. They'll also take over a bird-house as a home, which I imagine results in killed birds or at least broken eggs.

Personally I really don't care about them, my dog likes to chase them but he's too slow and fat to have a chance. I wouldn't go out of my may to harm them.

Chipmunks though, they've set up shop in my garage once or twice and chewed through a bunch of stuff. THEY are annoying, but I never had a problem with squirrels.

--

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 12, 10:22 Re: Out of the Blue nin
  2. Jul 12, 11:00  Re: Out of the Blue Alamar
  3. Jul 12, 11:25   Re: Out of the Blue rist3903
  4. Jul 12, 11:37    Re: Out of the Blue Pigeon
  5. Jul 12, 11:47    Re: Out of the Blue nin
  6. Jul 12, 12:02     Re: Out of the Blue Beamer
  7. Jul 12, 13:17      Re: Out of the Blue Bhruic
  10. Jul 12, 21:58  Re: Out of the Blue badasscat
  12. Jul 12, 22:35  Squirrels Darth Guybrush