Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The other day I mentioned the large quantity of birdseed we go through in our backyard feeder. This stuff comes in large sacks that are not easy to wrangle or use to fill the feeder, etc., so along the way I started storing it in these large plastic jugs that originally held pretzel rods, and stashing the jugs under a storage bench on the deck. Recently when cleaning up, I noticed that this storage bench is not actually fully enclosed, as the back of it is open to the underside of the deck. I found it amusing that the squirrels were still frustrating themselves on our still squirrel-proof feeder while a very accessible smorgasbord was just a couple of feet away, but I also knew that they would figure things out eventually. Well eventually came today, as I found chew-marks all over the lids of the jugs, so I had to move them back indoors. Sadly for the squirrels, they did not actually make it into the seed before their efforts were discovered... I imagined they would have themselves at least one amazing feast at my expense once they discovered this treasure trove, but they missed out.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: zOMT.
Pengu Defenders.
Links: Tetris block sticky notes for your inner design-geek.
Stories: 'First Blood' bridge's final take. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.
Science: In Robotics, Human-Style Perception and Motion Are Elusive. Thanks j.c.f.
Worm Drug Ivermectin Is Shown to Kill Mosquitoes. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Media: Lazy man with a portal gun.
Atomic Facepalm.
'Predator catcher' Hansen gets taste of own medicine.
The Funnies: How to Decide Whether to Tell the Painful Truth.
Simon's Cat.
Follow-up: The Myth of the Allergy-Free Dog. Thanks Neutronbeam.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Squirrels Jul 13, 2011, 09:58 kanniballl

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 22:35:
Not sure why you guys seem to hate them so much. I think they are cute - much like our drop bears! (Possums)

True, they are cute. As far as rodents go they are among the most accepted.

Most of the complaints on this site are that they'll eat / horde all of the bird seed like gluttons... thus depriving the birds of any. At which point, what's the purpose of leaving out the bird seed if the birds don't have any and won't come. They'll also take over a bird-house as a home, which I imagine results in killed birds or at least broken eggs.

Personally I really don't care about them, my dog likes to chase them but he's too slow and fat to have a chance. I wouldn't go out of my may to harm them.

Chipmunks though, they've set up shop in my garage once or twice and chewed through a bunch of stuff. THEY are annoying, but I never had a problem with squirrels.

--

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Squirrels Jul 12, 2011, 22:35 Darth Guybrush

Not sure why you guys seem to hate them so much. I think they are cute - much like our drop bears! (Possums)  

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

11. Re: DirecTV Jul 12, 2011, 22:09 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 19:07:
Ordering Directv in the next few days.

Are you still using Comcast for internet?

I feel that it is rare these days to hear about Cable -> Satellite, usually the opposite.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 21:58 badasscat

I solved my Squirrel issue years ago,..I keep the stuff in the back seat(clean bucket) of a project car (SHO Taurus)...and they've not chewed the car up ....yet.

They have learned over the years here,....to chew on anything plastic,white and smells of man.They even started chewing on the bucket,in a place in the front of the house...not the backyard.

The real trick,..is that in my shed is the sack(50lb),and it's even open at the top(rolled up),..and they will not go in there for it..because of neighbor's cat...who patrols it.

I have even stuck a bucket,..in a window sill,..with no way but to climb a brick wall,...and they find it.

Smart devils they is.....I call em yard rats...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 20:28 Hoop

Full Tintin trailer.
Looks good.

http://goo.gl/0llKL

Um .. Behind you...

8. DirecTV Jul 12, 2011, 19:07 xXBatmanXx

/Threadjack

Ordering Directv in the next few days. Right now we are doing 2 tvs, but was thinking of doing a third. With the current deals, it looks like I can buy an HD Receiver for 50.00 from DirecTV, but then have the 6.00 lease.

Should I just buy the 3rd receiver from them?
Are there better ones/deals out there to avoid the leases?

Thanks!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 13:17 Bhruic

It's not even that bad. He caught people who were (allegedly) attempting to do something illegal. He didn't do something illegal. Immoral? Maybe. But that's not the same thing. There's no equivalency here.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 12:02 Beamer

That's what I took away from it.

I'm with the other guy, though. He never said he wasn't an adulterer, he said he wasn't a pedophile.

The enormous gap between those two kills any shadenfreude to me. It's like pointing fingers when a guy condemning murder gets caught speeding.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 11:47 nin

There is some Schadenfreude to be had due to the fact that he was implicitly putting himself on the moral high ground as host of To Catch a Predator.

That's what I took away from it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 11:37 Pigeon

rist3903 wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 11:25:
This actually made me want to see what it was... I don't see the irony though... Isn't To catch a predator about youths? This guy is 51, shacking up with a 30 year old... Again, where's the issue?

The issue is most likely the sexting while married, which has been shown to be an accurate intelligence test of late.

There is some Schadenfreude to be had due to the fact that he was implicitly putting himself on the moral high ground as host of To Catch a Predator.

If you're the sort of person that wouldn't want nude pictures of yourself on the internet, don't take them and certainly don't send them to other people. I fail to see what's so difficult to comprehend about that concept.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 11:25 rist3903

This actually made me want to see what it was... I don't see the irony though... Isn't To catch a predator about youths? This guy is 51, shacking up with a 30 year old... Again, where's the issue?

The issue is most likely the sexting while married, which has been shown to be an accurate intelligence test of late.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 11:00 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 10:22:

Kinda semi-NSFW there, with the guy and the banana. Glad no one was around when I opened that.

Note, I don't care if he's married... Or that his date is significantly younger, 30 is long ago able to make adult decisions : )

-Alamar

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 10:22 nin

Kinda semi-NSFW there, with the guy and the banana. Glad no one was around when I opened that.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo