Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Minecraft Beta

The Word of Notch has news that a new version 1.7.3 beta is now live in Minecraft, the open-world sandbox game. Notch also made another recent update with more on the promised upcoming "adventure update" for the game, saying he will reveal the release date for the new version as soon as he can, and adding: "Oh, and the modding support is happening, honest."

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 12, 2011, 14:58 Verno

There are a few things that terraria does poorly though:

* no easy way to disable monsters
* crafting is not nearly as obvious as minecraft
* crafting seems to take far more time in terraria

Everyones welcome to their opinion but yours doesn't really jive with Terraria gameplay.

- its a game about combat and exploration with a crafting system. It's not a Minecraft clone where the primary goal is to craft and build things. The things are a vehicle to fighting and finding new places.

- Crafting is entirely exposed, there is even an NPC who will give you every craftable recipe in the game in an easy to use interface. It is far more obvious than Minecraft which has its weird "do it like this shape" thing going on.

- Gathering supplies to build and craft takes a lot longer in Minecraft, finding stuff like diamond isn't easy without mapping programs. Conversely most of the ores in Terraria are found through happenstance exploration and are typically found in reasonable spots within the biomes. You don't even technically need to use the crafting system very much, the game features a lot of drops and treasure chests full of goodies to do battle, dig and whatever else.

Minecraft and Terraria is really an apples to oranges comparison anyway, they have totally different goals. If you want Terraria to be a crafting game you're better off playing Minecraft and if you play Minecraft for combat and exploring you're better off playing Terraria.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 12, 2011, 13:00 saluk

The two games aren't really similar. I play both, minecraft feels more freeing and explorative, a true sandbox. Terraria feels more like a randomly generated castlevania with mining and crafting elements.

Pistons are awesome. I do hope the adventure update gives a bit more direction and built in things to do for those who want it.

6. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 12, 2011, 10:58 cocoreno

Remember, playing multiplayer (such as hosting a server even if no one is on it) VASTLY increases monsters. Play single player to get normal rates of monster spawns.

Thanks!

I've been doing this and found the game to be frustrating (i.e., by the time I kill one mob with my wimpy sword, there are 1-2 right behind).

Having played (and hosted) a Minecraft server since 1.4, I can't underestimate the importance of being able to turn monsters off. We run the MC server without monsters-- pretty much a pure creation/build server and find it very enjoyable.

I do enjoy the tighter focus and progression of Terraria over Minecraft, it's something I hope Notch will be adding to Minecraft with the "Adventure Update". That said, the sheer scale and scope of what you can do in Minecraft trumps Terraria in my view. I just wish Minecraft would let you set the height of the Z-plane

5. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 20:42 Dev

DrEvil wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:28:
I wish it was available for the Mac too -- Minecraft wins in that regard (far more portable).
At this point, mac users should be aware if they want to game, they really should get something to run windows too Whats the current solution? Parallels or some such?

Mac does most things fine (albeit at a much more expensive cost) but gaming, not so much.

Me personally, I bought a $200 netbook, dual booting mac OSX and win xp, for hackintosh.
Remember, playing multiplayer (such as hosting a server even if no one is on it) VASTLY increases monsters. Play single player to get normal rates of monster spawns.

There may even be a mod to eliminate them entirely if desired, I don't know.

Edit:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913954
http://www.terrariaforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=78
That server mod is supposed to let you adjust monsters to zero.

4. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:40 Fibrocyte

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:24:
I'm enjoying Terraria far more than Minecraft.

But other than that, yeah, there's a lot of things I like about it more.

I wish it was available for the Mac too -- Minecraft wins in that regard (far more portable).

- I never had a desire to disable monsters. It's part of the fun (random goblin raids, random boss spawns, its neat). But you're right in that if you need to do it then you can't or it isn't straightforward.
- Crafting is far more simple in Terraria than in Minecraft. You don't discover recipes from some weird ordering of objects in a 9x9 box. If you have the right stuff then you can make the item.
- Acquiring the good to craft stuff takes more time, yes. But it's the intent of the game. You explore area X, acquire the necessary stuff in that area, make weapons/armor/tools. Then move on to area Y which is harder and will let you make better stuff.
- No Mac for me.

3. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:28 DrEvil

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 18:24:

But other than that, yeah, there's a lot of things I like about it more.

2. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:24 Fibrocyte

1. Re: New Minecraft Beta Jul 11, 2011, 18:17 Dev

- Corrected a block duplication bug when using pistons
- Corrected a redstone torch duplication bug when using pistons
- Corrected a client crash when placing a sign in front of the piston, powering the piston and then removing the block beneath the sign
- Ice blocks are now pushed without causing water streams breaking everything
- Booster rails are no longer being powered magically without a power source
- Pistons connected to the end of a piston-transistor via redstone are now properly closed when the power goes out
- Doors no longer create purple particles
- Hacking clients can no longer edit texts of placed signs in multiplayer
- Changed so that paintings pushed by pistons will pop off

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo