Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2011, 14:24 Wowbagger_TIP

You can revert to the old interface if you don't like the new one. FF is just nice like that.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2011, 09:05 avianflu

The very best features of firefox are the non-mozilla addins, ironically.

The latest version mucked things up a bit with hidden menus and the like that do not actually help anything. They were trying to look more like chrome which was a pointless mistake.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 20:28 Sepharo

I'm using Google+ in the same capacity as I would Facebook. Friends, family, coworkers, acquaintances... What are they up to?

Coworker is on vacation using the instant upload from android phones to post pictures of Yellowstone in almost real time.

Make lunch plans on the chat. Uh... post links to videos.

DER I HATE THINGS. RARGH FACEBOOK AND BOO GOOGLE+

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 18:48 Wowbagger_TIP

I haven't touched firefox for over a year now. I used to absolutely adore Firefox. I used it constantly. However, the last version I used was bloated, unbearably slow, and locked my PC up once or twice a day. So I stopped using it. I gotta ask what the hell happened? Firefox used to be fast, and awesome, and easy on the system resources.
I don't know. I'm using FF5 and it works great for me. I have certain plugins that I would hate to do without, and I don't experience any performance problems, except when I have 80+ tabs open, and even then it's usually just some lag in response times.

Now they've apparently dedicated a team to working on memory optimization and performance issues, so I expect upcoming versions to be better in that respect too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 15:42 Verno

I gotta ask what the hell happened? Firefox used to be fast, and awesome, and easy on the system resources.

It's headed back in that direction but basically design by committee and a desire to have more mainstream success.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 15:23 Flatline

jimnms wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 13:25:
I think I'm done with Mozilla, and the stupid version numbering is just the last straw. Since they decided to start hyping up their version numbers, the quality of their products has gone down. They introduced a "feature" back in 3.6.xx that is completely annoying, and there are a lot of people complaining about it on the various help forums. It wasn't fixed in Firefox 4 or 5.

Now they've practically made Thunderbird unusable after jumping from version 3 to 5. The went overboard with the aero glass, so much that if you have a dark background, the menu and buttons are unreadable. Just look at this.

I haven't touched firefox for over a year now. I used to absolutely adore Firefox. I used it constantly. However, the last version I used was bloated, unbearably slow, and locked my PC up once or twice a day. So I stopped using it. I gotta ask what the hell happened? Firefox used to be fast, and awesome, and easy on the system resources.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 14:30 Verno

Bodolza wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 14:24:
You're being very condescending here. You're also wrong. Microsoft has explicitly made a point of saying that they will NOT be adopting Firefox's upgrade scheme. In fact, they're using it as a selling point for IE.

MS Blog

Maybe I am being condescending and if so I apologize. But am I really wrong? People seem to have an irrational obsession with the version number. That's not even necessarily directed at anyone in particular, it's just true in general. The average person doesn't know shit about software, the number is about the only thing they can associate upgrading with other than advertised features.

Microsoft are the worlds oldest offenders of this rule by the way so I'm not sure why them publicly making a statement saying otherwise matters. Would you like to wager that the IE version will start jumping (again) as their marketshare continues to plummet? It's not a bet I'd like to make.

Point being, there are plenty of legitimate things that Mozilla fuck up on a regular basis to criticize them for. We still don't have a 64bit native build. Product roadmaps that are more like children playing with crayons in terms of consistency. Memory usage is still ridiculous despite recent improvements. The theming functionality leaves a lot to be desired and reeks of an attempt to court the Facebook crowd. The version number seems a pretty silly one by comparison IMHO anyway.

Looking at it another way, if they want to just work on one major feature at a time and then increment the version well that's kind of silly but if it gets them releasing at a less than glacial pace then I'm all for it.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2011, 14:44.

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 14:24 Bodolza

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 13:56:
Users give way too much of a shit about a silly number, it's why Google, Microsoft and Apple do the same thing all the time.

People should care about functionality but they often don't understand or appreciate it so they fixate on what they can understand which is a small, simple number.

You're being very condescending here. You're also wrong. Microsoft has explicitly made a point of saying that they will NOT be adopting Firefox's upgrade scheme. In fact, they're using it as a selling point for IE.

MS Blog

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 14:09 Beamer

Screw google+. Christ, the last thing I need is yet another service that wants to conect me so that everyone can track everything I do. I can't believe people actually want these services.

I'm ok with Facebook. Facebook only knows what I want it to know. It is easy to turn off its communication with other sites. It's easy to keep in touch with the hundred or so people I really want to keep in touch with but no longer live near. Facebook really only knows the tiny bit I let it.

Google, though, is getting too bulky for its own good. As I mentioned, I don't want my YouTube account public. I don't want any close ties to my Picassa account. I really want everything anonymous unless I decide otherwise, and while Google Plus claims that's the purpose of the service, I find it to be the exact opposite. I wasn't even allowed to sign up for Google Plus unless I let it import all my Picassa pictures. I didn't want to do that! Granted, these are more public Picassa pictures, hence my using that particular account instead of my other Picassa account, but it's still Google connecting dots I'd rather not have connected.

Google knows EVERYTHING about me, as it's my email account. I really don't want it doing more. We're really starting to move beyond me being some aggregate and into me being a person to them. I dislike that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:56 Verno

hubricide wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 13:45:
If you're going to go the whole 'ironic to care' route, then I think it's ironic that you think it's ironic that I care.

Then I'll play that card too and it'll be turtles all the way down. Boring. The fact remains, you care about the version number but wonder why they care about changing it. The answer is in the question. Users give way too much of a shit about a silly number, it's why Google, Microsoft and Apple do the same thing all the time.

People should care about functionality but they often don't understand or appreciate it so they fixate on what they can understand which is a small, simple number. The browsers are all fairly close in feature parity these days it's actually hard for them to do anything to stand out.

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:45 zincthallinide

If you're going to go the whole 'ironic to care' route, then I think it's ironic that you think it's ironic that I care.  

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:42 Cutter

Screw google+. Christ, the last thing I need is yet another service that wants to conect me so that everyone can track everything I do. I can't believe people actually want these services.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:25 jimnms

I think I'm done with Mozilla, and the stupid version numbering is just the last straw. Since they decided to start hyping up their version numbers, the quality of their products has gone down. They introduced a "feature" back in 3.6.xx that is completely annoying, and there are a lot of people complaining about it on the various help forums. It wasn't fixed in Firefox 4 or 5.

Now they've practically made Thunderbird unusable after jumping from version 3 to 5. The went overboard with the aero glass, so much that if you have a dark background, the menu and buttons are unreadable. Just look at this.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 13:04 Verno

Major/Minor version numbers have existed for decades for a good reason. Plug-in compatibility is determined by version number, so every time they upgrade the version number it breaks plug-ins.

This isn't true though, they did account for this. All plugins basically get whitelisted after upgrading now, it's up to the authors to ensure compatibility. This is something users requested too, they got tired of their addons being disabled with every major/minor revision. I don't see how it's unreasonable for authors to take a look at the whitesheet and determine if their addon functionality will be affected either.

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 12:57 Bodolza

Major/Minor version numbers have existed for decades for a good reason. Plug-in compatibility is determined by version number, so every time they upgrade the version number it breaks plug-ins. Firefox completely failed to account for this when they changed versioning schemes. It confuses the users and developers. Before, it was expected by developers that major version might break your plug-in. Now, it's completely unpredictable which version will cause your plug-in to fail.

That's best case where the developer is actually actively working on the plug-in. In the previous upgrade cycle, you could at least expect the plug-in to work for a year even if it was not actively in development.

They've essentially given corporate users the middle finger, as well, and many users like to use the same browser at work and at home.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 11:43 Verno

Who cares what the version number is? You should care about the functionality, not the number displayed after its name. Maybe they're changing it because people obsess over it as if it matters to anyone but the developers? Some amusing irony here.  

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 11:38 zincthallinide

Firefox 7? Why not just call it Firefox 30, since 30 is so high, it must be super awesome? But wait, I'm thinking too small.. Firefox 9999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Sadly I am unwilling to hold down 9 forever, or I would

This post is completely serious - as long as the new version has a higher number, why not reach for infinity

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 11, 2011, 10:20 Beamer

Everyone I know *has* Google Plus.
Not a single one is using it.

The way it spread, like a virus, makes sense. People kept adding anyone they knew, since it's insanely easy to add, and if you had gmail suddenly you were a user. Hell, I had ex-bosses adding me.
But there's zero to do on it. Nothing at all.

So it's got millions of participants, but I'd wager few are users.
For my part I despise it. Thanks, Google, for making me tie my hidden Picassa account to this. I have complained endlessly that Google makes it very, very difficult to use their services with multiple accounts, and this just adds to that. I have a professional email address (not my work one, but the one I use to keep in touch with former colleagues, classmates, recruiters, etc.) that I like to keep open at all times. But then I can't open YouTube, because I'm logged in with that name. The last thing I want to do is make YouTube comments with firstnamelastnameatgmaildotcom. I want to do it anonymously so future employers aren't looking and going "oh man, he bashed the use of bloom in BrownFutureShooter 8. We don't want to hire this guy for BrownFutureShooter 9!"
Thanks for making that difficult, Google.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo