Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Okay, this alarm clock idea is pretty damned clever (thanks reddit via GameSetWatch). Here's the description of how this works: "If you hit the user-defined snooze limit, the alarm sounds and will not turn off until you have cleared 4 lines in Tetris. That’s right, you have to prove to the clock that you are awake and coherent before it will shut off. Technically you can silence the alarm for a 30 second period so you can focus on Tetris, but that’s all the break you get."

Snoozy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Iron Overlord.
The Light Years.
Stories: Davison offices in Pittsburgh are just like a real-life Willy Wonka factory. Thanks jimnms.
Science: NASA’s Stillsuit- Atlantis Crew to Test Pee-Recycling Bag.
Paying in Cash Keeps Us Healthy.
Women football players half as likely to fake an injury as men.
Media: Jack Sparrow (feat. Michael Bolton). NSFW. Thanks nin.
Bubba Gracie pranks jiu jitsu class.
Wonderfuzzy - Chimichanga Fix. Thanks Emgarf.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 15:04 Sepharo

Efflixi wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 14:50:
I don't know how quickly this'll get buried once Blue updates with Sunday's news but on the new sales on Steam today, i can't click on GTA IV or Assassins Creed. Just tells me "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time." wtf?

I've had this a few times before, though not in a long long while. You probably have already, but try restarting Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 14:50 Efflixi

I don't know how quickly this'll get buried once Blue updates with Sunday's news but on the new sales on Steam today, i can't click on GTA IV or Assassins Creed. Just tells me "Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time." wtf?  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 14:03 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 13:07:
No matter what time I set it for I usually wake up 10 minutes earlier. ...

I pretty much have to do 24/7 support calls for one of our servers. My calls were usually at 3AM.

After a particularly bad couple of weeks of calls, for about the next couple of months my body "woke up" by itself around 3AM without an alarm or phonecall. Of course that stunk because I had to go back to sleep so I could wake up at 6:30.

That never happened to me before, and this is coming from a guy that needs 3-4 snooze alarms in the morning.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 13:07 Beamer

ROFL! I suppose you arise from your Jedi sleep with the Force, correct Space Captain?

Truthfully, my alarm clock probably goes off about six times per year. No matter what time I set it for I usually wake up 10 minutes earlier. It woke me up once earlier this week, but I blame that on jetlag. Other than that it probably hasn't gone off since April.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 12:32 nin

It started with 50% off, then went to 75% and then back to 50%. I had seen a few other titles change prices like that throughout this sale (in the same day), but thought my mind was playing tricks on me. If I hadn't bought Terraria at the 75% off, I would have thought I was imaging that too. I wonder if purchases automatically affect the prices and how much the top 10 seller list figures into the formula. People see something on the list at 33% off and think that's a good deal when the reason why it's on the list is because it was previously 75% off.

I actually saw a thread over there, where people were saying they weren't going to buy it because it went from $2.50 to $5. We're talking about a whopping two dollars and fifty cents for an indie dev, who's doing constant updates. That attitude is just embarrassing to see.

Me thinks some are getting a little too spoiled to these steam sales.

Oh, and last day kicks off in 30 minutes, so anything anyone has their eye on, this will be your last day for cheapo discounts. I've got my eye on more than a couple of things that never made the front page deal, but are still 33% or more off, compared to a regular day...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 12:24 Killswitch

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 19:13:
Wasn't Terraria $2.49 at the start of the steam sale today? It's $4.99 now.

It started with 50% off, then went to 75% and then back to 50%. I had seen a few other titles change prices like that throughout this sale (in the same day), but thought my mind was playing tricks on me. If I hadn't bought Terraria at the 75% off, I would have thought I was imaging that too. I wonder if purchases automatically affect the prices and how much the top 10 seller list figures into the formula. People see something on the list at 33% off and think that's a good deal when the reason why it's on the list is because it was previously 75% off.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 12:15 Killswitch

Does anyone know if they fixed the Neverwinter Nights 2 control issues where you can't invert the Y-axis in third person view, and when the mouse touches the edges of the screen it moves your view inverted X? I think I'm remembering that correctly. There's an option to invert Y, but it only affected first person mode when I had tried it ages ago.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:57 Jensen

I could see why they wouldn't want to sell Terraria for $2.50.

It has been consistently selling over 10,000 copies a day and doesn't need a sale to help it. (not exactly sure about the numbers, but based on the first month of sales, the sales charts, and Minecraft's consistently high sales, it seems to be a reasonable guess)

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 12:02.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:40 DrEvil

Anonymous wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 11:10:
"Terreria for $2.50
Neverwinter Night 2 Platinum for $6.50
X3 Gold for $6.50

So for the price of a half decent lunch i could have potentially several hundred hours of quality gaming ahead of me! "

Uh... $15.50 is a half decent lunch?

Do you live in Disneyland? (lol)

No, try San Francisco. *rimshot*

(I don't actually, but I swear it's that expensive sometimes...)

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:10 Lit_Reflex001

"Terreria for $2.50
X3 Gold for $6.50

So for the price of a half decent lunch i could have potentially several hundred hours of quality gaming ahead of me! "

Uh... $15.50 is a half decent lunch?

Do you live in Disneyland? (lol)

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 11:08 Lit_Reflex001

"alarm clocks are crutches for a weak mind"

ROFL! I suppose you arise from your Jedi sleep with the Force, correct Space Captain?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 01:32 Ant

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 13:28:
I would destroy that alarm clock before I ever got one line in Tetris finished...
I can play Tetris in my sleep so this would be useless.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 12:24.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 23:29 Creston

Efflixi wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 22:07:
I bought 3 games from Steam today... even though i told myself earlier this week that i was too poor to buy anything until next paycheck after treating myself to a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (awesome gadget btw).

Terreria for $2.50
X3 Gold for $6.50

So for the price of a half decent lunch i could have potentially several hundred hours of quality gaming ahead of me!

I think several hundred hours is cutting it pretty short, too. That's like a thousand hours of gaming goodness there.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 23:27 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:41:
Hell, I got borderlands for like $20 a long time ago on steam and it was a total rip off.
I bought Borderlands GOTY for $7.50 during the last sale. I bought a copy for a friend too, and it's been more than worth the price. We've played over 120 hours on it so far. I don't think it would be an enjoyable single player game, but playing it with a friend or two or three is a blast. Make sure you take a tour of the Worlds Largest Bullet, it's worth every penny.

Steam Profile

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 23:25 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 9, 2011, 18:41:
I'm extremely tempted, but I fear that at $25, I'm still going to be ripped off.

Hell, I got borderlands for like $20 a long time ago on steam and it was a total rip off.

I'll just wait. See you at xmas, gearbox.

Borderlands is such an odd game. People either absolutely fucking hate it, or they absolutely fucking love it. You can't stand it, and I think I've got probably 300+ hours in it, with two characters at level 61, and one at level 69.

But I will agree that 25 bucks for DNF still isn't cheap enough. I'll gladly pick it up when it's 5 dollars.

Creston

11. No subject Jul 9, 2011, 22:30 AnointedSword

Thanks, I just got a patent on it and Timex is calling me on Monday!:) See, this what makes rich people rich. They do not waste their time complaining, they focus on how to make their lives better.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 22:07 Efflixi

I bought 3 games from Steam today... even though i told myself earlier this week that i was too poor to buy anything until next paycheck after treating myself to a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (awesome gadget btw).

Terreria for $2.50
X3 Gold for $6.50

So for the price of a half decent lunch i could have potentially several hundred hours of quality gaming ahead of me!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 19:50 Dmitri_M

I use an android app on my cell phone as an alarm. It forces you to answer some basic maths to snooze. Every morning I curse it as I fumble trying to answer 1 + 5 / 2. Once answered in my dazed relief that the alarm is no longer ringing I promptly forget to disable the maths question feature. And then the next morning...fff all over again.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 19:41 PHJF

Terraria was $2.50 earlier today. Odd.

I easily got my $10 out of it (and then some) and bought it at $7.50 for a friend.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2011, 19:13 nin

Wasn't Terraria $2.49 at the start of the steam sale today? It's $4.99 now.

Still a deal either way. I already had it, I was just surprised it looks like they might have changed the price.

edit: yep - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1986492

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo