Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness

The Sledgehammer Games Blog responds to their question of the week, saying that in designing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 they are making efforts at accommodating gamers like myself with Color Vision Deficiency (thanks Computer and Video Games). The post shows they appreciate the problems this causes in games that do not take this into account:

Research suggests that as much as 6% of the general population suffers from Color Blindness, or more accurately Color Vision Deficiency. Men (9-12%) are 20x more likely to be afflicted than women (0.25-1%). Those numbers vary depending on which source you quote, but we estimate that nearly a million gamers are playing Call of Duty every day with this issue. I am happy to report that we are working on a Color Blind Assist option for Modern Warfare 3.

So start honing your MP skills, Nick. You won’t be able blame your red-green deficiency for all that friendly-fire come November 8th.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 9, 2011, 10:52 UttiniDaKilrJawa

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 21:24:
I was thinking about this today.

I find it a bit ironic that they are willing to spend time and effort for less than 10% of their player base (that is way more than it is) but they don't try and fix or address things that affect a much larger %.......

They are morons.

It's not really about fixing anything for anyone.
It's just Activision's way of trying to say...'see we're not completely evil'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 21:24 xXBatmanXx

I was thinking about this today.

I find it a bit ironic that they are willing to spend time and effort for less than 10% of their player base (that is way more than it is) but they don't try and fix or address things that affect a much larger %.......

They are morons.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 21:19 Suddenly_Dead

Cutter wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 18:57:
PC
Color Vision Deficiency = Color Blindness

It's not because it's "PC", it's because it's imprecise. "Color blindness" sounds like it implies a total lack of color vision. That's extremely rare. It's also very possible to be only somewhat color blind. Being "somewhat blind" sounds weird.

15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 19:50 [VG]Reagle

Beady wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:11:
And what about field of view?

A FoV of 50 like this series seems to have a fetish for is unplayable for some of us

--> seta cg_fov_default "80"

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

14. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 19:11 Beady

And what about field of view?

A FoV of 50 like this series seems to have a fetish for is unplayable for some of us

13. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 18:57 Cutter

PC
Color Vision Deficiency = Color Blindness
Erectile Dysfunction = Impotent
Differently Abled = Cripple

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 18:52 xXBatmanXx

To bad they haven't looked at it for all of their previous games. They make the models so damn close to each other with a super slight difference. And the color names or indicators are almost identical to those of us with red/green color blindness. So frustrating. There are games I flat out can't play because they choose to use yellow and green for the two teams.

Probably one reason why I play so much DoD and DoD Source. It is obvious who the bad guy is.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 18:38 born2expire

Glad they can put the effort in for this this early but compeletely dodge the dedicated server question.

Almost seems like they care more about visually impaired games more then PC gamers

10. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 17:17 Sty

Left4Dead was the first time I had seen a colorblind option in a game. I was extremely grateful for it. Glad more folks are paying attention to it.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

9. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 16:48 finga

I've got a family member that appreciates features for the color blind, and while I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, I like having subtitles on - especially when I'm gaming late at night, the wife's asleep, and I have to have the explosions quiet enough to not wake her. Sometimes, the audio mix doesn't allow me to clearly hear every word. I can easily put headphones on, sure, but sometimes I'd rather not - and subtitles allow that.  

8. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 16:10 MxxCon

Valve conversely pays significant attention to hearing impaired gamers.
A while ago they posted a 3-part video where they invited bunch of deaf/hearing-impaired gamers and interviewed them about their gaming experience and what game developers can do better.
[url=http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/07/valve-researching-sign-language-for-use-in-half-life-2-episode/]

7. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 13:21 Alamar

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:48:
I wish every game included subtitles for when characters speak. Every once in awhile I still come across one that doesn't support it, and it's handy when everything is exploding and you missed that one critical piece of dialogue.

Expand that to include subtitles I can go back to afterwords and read and I'm all for it : )

-Alamar

6. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 12:46 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:48:
I wish every game included subtitles for when characters speak. Every once in awhile I still come across one that doesn't support it, and it's handy when everything is exploding and you missed that one critical piece of dialogue.
Thankfully I haven't run into that issue lately, but regardless I completely agree. I can hear just fine, but that doesn't mean my attention is on what's being said when the game is in motion.

5. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 12:46 CommunistHamster

Some games do subtitles well (GTA4) and some do them horribly (Crysis).  

4. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 11:48 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 11:37 Ravenus

Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:01:
Now it'd be nice if they could do something about 99% of all FPS being played in drab brown textures.
Y'know, I thought THIS was what they did to neutralize color-blindness as a disadvantage. Everyone sees the same one color:D

2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 11:31 DaZ

Brink says "hi" =)  

1. Re: Modern Warfare 3 & Color Blindness Jul 8, 2011, 11:01 Creston

It's cool that they're thinking about this.

Now it'd be nice if they could do something about 99% of all FPS being played in drab brown textures.

Creston

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo