Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Battlefield 3 Details

The Battleblog #2 on the Battlefield Blog has further details on Battlefield 3, the upcoming military shooter sequel. Along the way they explain a couple of new features:

This brings us to two new features in Battlefield 3: Bipods and Suppressive Fire. Bipods have a very practical use, especially for LMGs, as they provide a substantial increase in stability while laying down a base of fire. Bipods can be deployed anywhere by zooming in with your LMG when prone, or when standing/kneeling in front of suitable supports, such as a window sill. The stability created by deploying a Bipod gives players a massive boost in accuracy and recoil reduction. Youíll be able to unload an entire clip of 200 bullets from your LMG with great accuracy without even letting go of the trigger, all thanks to the Bipod.

Suppressive Fire is a new in-game mechanic that changes how you can play the game. When you lay down fire in close vicinity to an enemy, the incoming barrage will show up as a graphical blur effect on his screen to stress him and let him know itís not safe to pop out from behind cover. Just as importantly, this mechanic also affects his characterís in-game firing accuracy, making him less of a threat by using real world tactics. Better yet? You get team play experience points for doing so!

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 22:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I think I'm gonna play a sniper...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 21:49 bhcompy

Matshock wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 18:26:
Like mentioned earlier, MGs and suppressive fire is what rules modern infantry battle. Snipers and rifle marksmen work in around the cover created by suppression and then go to work on the flanks.

When has Battlefield ever been about realism?

39. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 18:26 Matshock

skurk wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 13:49:
bhcompy wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 10:02:
Are they going to change the non-bipod accuracy of the LMGs? Are they going to add barrel overheating like real LMGs so you can't fire that entire 100-200 round belt in one go? Are they going to remove the scope option? They're already overpowered as is.

Seriously, LMGs are just hilariously overpowered in BC2. The biggest reason isn't the absurdly high accuracy (scope on a machine gun haha WTF) or super high damage (magnum ammo) it's the fact that if you single shot instead of laying on the trigger you can keep going in a frantic running-around firefight while any non LMG dudes are out of ammo.

I've gone on 5+ kill streaks for this very reason. All assault has is stupid grenade launcher spam so it's no wonder everyone goes for the class with the fully automatic sniper rifles that can also heal and rez and get a billion points for doing so.

Let me introduce you to the Trijicon ACOG:

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=ACOG&mid=6x48

Note the picture at the top left is one mounted on a LMG.

Like mentioned earlier, MGs and suppressive fire is what rules modern infantry battle. Snipers and rifle marksmen work in around the cover created by suppression and then go to work on the flanks.

The two things I do agree with are the need for a "heat limit" for LMGs (hey how about a quick-change barrel DICE?) and that the idea of a medic toting one is pretty dumb.

38. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 13:49 skurk

bhcompy wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 10:02:
Are they going to change the non-bipod accuracy of the LMGs? Are they going to add barrel overheating like real LMGs so you can't fire that entire 100-200 round belt in one go? Are they going to remove the scope option? They're already overpowered as is.

Seriously, LMGs are just hilariously overpowered in BC2. The biggest reason isn't the absurdly high accuracy (scope on a machine gun haha WTF) or super high damage (magnum ammo) it's the fact that if you single shot instead of laying on the trigger you can keep going in a frantic running-around firefight while any non LMG dudes are out of ammo.

I've gone on 5+ kill streaks for this very reason. All assault has is stupid grenade launcher spam so it's no wonder everyone goes for the class with the fully automatic sniper rifles that can also heal and rez and get a billion points for doing so.

37. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 12:22 Elessar

Sepharo wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 22:42:
Oh I guess it was already in BF2 Project Reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLSrITIaCFU
Anti Sniper mechanics! Love it. This should curtail a proned sniper from cleaning house when nested somewhere hard to reach. Toss a few shots up his way and then run cover to cover. I'm really like the idea of this so far.

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

36. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:28 Beamer

I can't imagine suppressive fire ever working. In real life one bullet ends everything, so you don't want to take risks, so suppressive fire is effective. In video games you're far less aware of your surroundings, multiple bullets are needed to stop you and dying typically just means a 15 second wait so you're willing to take enormous risks.
Real combat is all about suppressive fire. Video games are all about action.

Yeah, I get they're artificially making it work, by adding a blur effect, but I'm not convinced this will be fun. Much like I'm not convinced the main reason for cover fire - difficult accuracy - will ever translate.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:26 Dmitri_M

any additions they make that can disrupt snipers in generic online shooters is good  

34. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:06 bhcompy

MattyC wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 09:34:
everyone wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 08:12:
Snipers were never a problem - or even used much - in BF2. Why would you assume they will be in BF3?

Did you ever play Bad Company 2?

Aircraft are sniper equalizers. They are fast and they'll make it much easier to spot them. If we get the 2 pilot variety with a guided bomb, it makes it even better to grief the snipers.

33. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 10:02 bhcompy

32. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 09:46 everyone

BC = small-scale infantry-focused console game.
BF = large-scale combined arms PC game.
Two entirely different series. And if DICE are to be believed (hah), and despite a complete lack of evidence to back it up, BF3 if going to be firmly in the BF camp.

31. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 09:34 MattyC

Snipers were never a problem - or even used much - in BF2. Why would you assume they will be in BF3?

Did you ever play Bad Company 2?

30. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 09:31 Shineyguy

Because they're incredibly popular in Bad Company 2.  

29. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 09:30 xXBatmanXx

Because the trend in multiplayer gaming is leaning more towards individual sniper griefer play and less team work...it is a lot different than it was even a few years ago with BF2....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 08:12 everyone

27. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 06:50 Agrikaan

You assume one single sniper. There will be 12/16, or 24/32. You stop to get the bipod down, you're dead before setup is complete. If not, you start to fire against the one, the other 11 or 23 see where your bullets come from. Bang.

I would like to see what new gadgets and tactics they plan for the Recon class. Especially how these will help a team win a Rush/Conquest round when those 12/16 or 24/32 snipers are spread out in bushes along the hills to the sides and corners of the map, or camp back in spawn.

26. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 06:19 everyone

More PR, less BC2. Sounds good to me.  

25. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 04:14 Paketep

So, not only are they removing needed features, now their NEW features are stolen from Red Orchestra 2?.

Great, DICE, just great. You fuckers.

24. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 01:10 entr0py

Awesome. Support was by far my favorite class in BF2142, what with LMG bipods, auto turrets and deployable shields. But in BFBC2 I didn't like getting stuck with medic duty. And with no way to stabilize the gun either by going prone or using a bipod, it felt too much like an assault rifle with lots of recoil and big magazine.  

23. No subject Jul 8, 2011, 00:48 AnointedSword

Woot! We got bipods and prone!:) Bring it on! Love it! Suppressive Fire also sounds good!:)

Besides I thought of the bipod making a difference in Delta Force: Land Warrior. So, was I first?

If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

22. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 8, 2011, 00:43 Matshock

Sepharo wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 00:03:
Surf wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 23:27:
"HOWEVER", says EA, "The Bipod and Suppressive fire are always, and will remain always, completely useless due to teams of Snipers. With Sniper pin point accuracy at 50 miles out or more while running AND with their lack of tracer rounds, AS WELL as their rapid fire semi auto rifles, AND their camouflage, IN ADDITION TO their ability to call in mortars every 5 seconds, the above mentioned Bipod and Suppresive fire remain a moot point.

Thank you everyone.

Watch the project reality clip. LMG and suppresive fire could be used to disrupt camping snipers. The medic is never going to hit that sniper from that range with an LMG so instead it buzzes them.

Meh- medic/assault teams don't seem to have much difficulty overwhelming snipers in BC2. Adding suppression may even make them a weak class.

I'm more worried about lines forming in front of the tarmac for the fixed wing AC. That was my A#1 peeve about BF2. Maybe they should make them easier to crash so more people get back in the mud. Heck, I still wonít touch the pilotís seat of a helo in BC2.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo