Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer

The RAGE Website offers "The Dawn," a new behind-the-scenes trailer setting the story for RAGE, id Software's upcoming first-person shooter. The clip features gameplay footage and cinematics, accompanied by commentary from Tim Willits and Matt Hooper, as id's creative director and design director (with an assist from senior producer Jason Kim) outline how the game's post-apocalyptic setting came about and a little on the various factions and locations the player will encounter.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 9, 2011, 02:49 MoreLuckThanSkill

Blue wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:39:
Creston wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:08:
url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/]This movie[/url] coined the name "Unobtainium" before Avatar did.

That phrase has been used by real scientists for more than 50 years.

Yes, but almost always as a bit of a joke, a perfect substance that does not actually exist in this universe. Cameron, as far as I can tell in Avatar, meant it as a serious term for an actual element/material, that Giovanni Ribisi's character actually holds a piece of early in the movie. Netflix'd!

Back on topic: Rage looks good, despite borrowing heavily from other games/sources!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 18:14 Creston

url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/]This movie[/url] coined the name "Unobtainium" before Avatar did.

But more as a metaphysical concept. It's the metal that would do everything you want, but that you can never get.

In the Core, it was an actual (BS) metal substance that was used to build the ship.

Creston

15. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 13:42 Darks

I knew that Avatar stole that one when I heard it. I love that movie. Knew right away they stole it when I heard them say it. Maybe Cameronís a fan of the movie too which is why he used it.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

14. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 13:39 Darks

Surf wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 11:06:
Darks,

Way to push the gaming industry by "settling" with anything that ID farts out. Let me guess, you liked the latest Transformers movie, have a fat wife and 2 kids and work at Walmart?

Yup, real ambition there, way to settle and stagnate. Some of us want to see a game company at least try something new and a few have. Stalker being the most recent one in memory.

Surf, you really shouldnít talk about your wife like that, sheís liable to kick are whinny ass all over the place. And, actually if you saw my wife you would never drop to your knees drooling with envy. And thatís no exaggeration.

Again, as I said, if youíre such a genius and have all these original ideas and concept please present them or make your own game. Until deal with it or give up gaming altogether.

13. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 11:39  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 11:08 Creston

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 01:00:
and naming conventions out of Avatar. Unobtainium?

This movie coined the name "Unobtainium" before Avatar did.

Edit: Trailer looks pretty damn awesome.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2011, 11:21.

11. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 11:06 Surf

Darks,

Way to push the gaming industry by "settling" with anything that ID farts out. Let me guess, you liked the latest Transformers movie, have a fat wife and 2 kids and work at Walmart?

Yup, real ambition there, way to settle and stagnate. Some of us want to see a game company at least try something new and a few have. Stalker being the most recent one in memory.

10. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 09:55 Darks

Ray Ban wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 09:13:
These days any game that's something else than a generic military shooter is very welcome.

And with regards to originality: how many games have there been that didn't borrow elements of either game mechanics or story from other titles? Imagination cannot exist without inspiration ...

What a bunch of whinny cry babies most of you all are. Seriously, WTF is you guys problems? Oh, thereís nothing new, nothing original. Cry me a river why donít you. Seriously, if you guys think you can do better, please do by all means. Yes it looks like other games, but what fricking game doesnít these days? There really isnít anything new that can be made in games anymore. There is nothing left to be original about. All we are ever going to see is games looking like each other. Itís the story that counts and the feel of the game.

I personally donít see what all the fuss is about. If you guys are so boarded of games looking the same way, then I think itís time you stop playing games for a while if youíre not satisfied. And Rage does not look exactly like borderlands or play like it does.

I played Rage at E3 and never once did I get the feeling of Borderlands or Fallout. There were no big cities to traverse through like Rage has. As RayBan said, there been so many games that came out over the past 20 years, who hasnít borrowed something from someone?

9. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 09:13 Ray Ban

These days any game that's something else than a generic military shooter is very welcome.

And with regards to originality: how many games have there been that didn't borrow elements of either game mechanics or story from other titles? Imagination cannot exist without inspiration ...

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

8. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 01:00 MoreLuckThanSkill

So... remake of the Fallout story, with some Borderlands driving, and naming conventions out of Avatar. Unobtainium? Meet The Authority and The Resistance. I assume the townspeople are named The Townspeople. Also apparently nanotech thrown in to explain healing abilities.

That said, this game still looks like the basic mechanics will be fun, the engine is gorgeous, and if all else fails, there will be some ridiculous mods/Total Conversions for this at some point.

Definitely a bargain buy, hopefully there is a demo, pre-release, to determine day 1 buy or not.

7. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 8, 2011, 00:15 starmonkey

Surf wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 23:37:
Isn't anyone getting sick of these fucking games or is it just me?

I'm right there with you mate

I really enjoyed Stalker with that massive realism mod.

I would further advocate more storyline elements where your actions change the game-world (Oblivion has this).

Edit: Just watched that video. ID Software re-makes Fallout. My goodness!

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2011, 00:21.

6. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 23:41 Jerykk

I think it looks pretty cool. I wouldn't say I'm hyped but I'll most likely try the game when it comes out. That's more than I can say for most games these days.  

5. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 23:37 Surf

I see absolutely NOTHING new with this game at fucking all.

Its Fallout +Borderlands, period. Sure it seems ok for a game, the graphics as expected are nice. But a "deep and meaningful" story? Jesus fucking christ who are you kidding?

I so would have made this more Stalkerish and more RPG such as Mad Max and Road Warrior with full towns and less random crap enemies that you kill 50,000 times over.

Isn't anyone getting sick of these fucking games or is it just me?

4. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 23:22 Acleacius

A bunch of id people telling me how important story is and they give a shit n stuff......guess pigs are flying.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 23:21 Jerykk

The story seems pretty similar to Fallout's. Ark = vault. Authority = Enclave.  

2. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 23:05 SirKnight

Other than the regenerating health (boo! hiss!) this game looks pretty awesome.

I recently pre-ordered it on Amazon. I decided I didn't want to download 3 DVDs worth through steam.

1. Re: RAGE 'The Dawn' Trailer Jul 7, 2011, 21:39 shuttleswo

This seems to have more 'firefly' feel to me with each clip they reveal. next up i expect them to change 'the authority' to 'the alliance'.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo