Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"It's unquestionable that within a very short time, we're going to have portable cell phones that are more powerful than the current-gen consoles," says id Software Technical Director John Carmack. "People have exaggerated the relative powers - the iPad2 is not more powerful than the 360. It's still a factor of a couple weaker. But the fact that itís gotten that close that fast - that means that almost certainly, 2 years from now, there will be mobile devices more powerful than what we're doing all these fabulous games on right now."

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 09:59 Dev

Enahs wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 09:11:
Not to mention the fact that even if they do become as powerful, it is going to use up battery like crazy and not last too long.
That doesn't happen already?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 09:16 Beamer

Right, two years from now an ipad may be as powerful as an xbox360, but the UI will still be optimized for lying on your couch, reading a webpage. The UI is just not conducive to playing most video games.

How can you say that?
How do you know they won't have docks to hook up to TVs, or even better, be able to do so wirelessly? How do you know they won't be able to use wireless controllers?

You're thinking very small if you don't think that, in the near future, portable computing will replace virtually all consumer non-portable computing. When your cellphone is more powerful than your desktop you'll no longer have a desktop, just a monitor, mouse and keyboard that communicate with your cell.
Consoles will go the exact same way.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 09:11 Enahs

Not to mention the fact that even if they do become as powerful, it is going to use up battery like crazy and not last too long.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

4. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 08:01 skyguy

Riker wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 07:54:
I still have no interest in playing the kind of games I like on a portable device with a small screen and imprecise controls.

Right, two years from now an ipad may be as powerful as an xbox360, but the UI will still be optimized for lying on your couch, reading a webpage. The UI is just not conducive to playing most video games.

Carmack lost his mojo long, long ago.

3. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 07:54 Riker

I still have no interest in playing the kind of games I like on a portable device with a small screen and imprecise controls.  

2. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 8, 2011, 06:26 Domgrief

The iPad2 is also a factor of a couple larger than what most people would consider a "portable cell phone".  

1. Re: Quote of the Day Jul 7, 2011, 23:11 [VG]Reagle

Correction: "....more powerful than what we're doing all THEIR doning fabulous games on"  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo