Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight Sells a Million

Runic Games announces their action/RPG Torchlight has sold over one million units across Windows, OS X, and Xbox 360. "We're very excited to share Torchlightís success with our fans and supporters. Itís been a great ride so far and we canít wait to give everyone more of what they want in Torchlight II," said Runic President Travis Baldree. "It isnít every day you sell a million games. Weíre grateful to be here."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 8, 2011, 07:25 Ant

Kajetan wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 03:37:
Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 03:23:
They should put out torchlight 2 quickly, so it won't be competing with diablo 3.
They can take their time, since D3 is not coming this year.
Is D3 not coming out this year confirmed officially?

I'd rather have both games take their times to be good to released. However, don't take forever and fail like Duke Nukem Forever (DNF).

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 18:58 Sepharo

Alamar wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 14:03:
Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:55:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:24:
Guess that should be a hint that Steam isn't the magical sales powerhouse that people seem to think it is (for no fucking reason at all). "Oh, game X is in the top 10 on Steam charts! It must be selling very well!"

You mean considering it was on sale for $3 the other day on Steam, and then they announce today it hit a million?
A million is still pretty good for an indie title.
That it is... But when I saw the headline, the first thing, that (sadly) popped into my head was... Didn't Minecraft just announce 10 mil signups?

-Alamar

Well Minecraft presently has sold 2,732,935 and in my opinion it has definitely had more than 3 times the exposure and hype of Torchlight. So through that (probably ridiculous) rationalization I think a million sounds about right.

22. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 14:03 Alamar

Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 12:55:
Guess that should be a hint that Steam isn't the magical sales powerhouse that people seem to think it is (for no fucking reason at all). "Oh, game X is in the top 10 on Steam charts! It must be selling very well!"

You mean considering it was on sale for $3 the other day on Steam, and then they announce today it hit a million?

That it is... But when I saw the headline, the first thing, that (sadly) popped into my head was... Didn't Minecraft just announce 10 mil signups?

-Alamar

21. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 12:55 Dev

20. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 12:24 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 12:21 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 11:57 nin

Ruffiana wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 11:43:
Only 1 million and just now? Kind of surprising really. I thought this game was a run-away hit.

I was a little surprised, too. While I'm not sure how much of that was console sales, it apparently was a hit on the 360 .

I figured, with several steam sales under it's belt, they would have sold a million on the PC alone.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 11:43 Ruffiana

Only 1 million and just now? Kind of surprising really. I thought this game was a run-away hit.  

16. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 11:15 Dades

Darks wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 10:29:
Of course TL2 is going to be better, its got 6 player Coop and local LAN to play Coop too. how can that not be better?

Lack of multiplayer wasn't the first games biggest problem. It needed more mob variety, more environmental designs, better models for weapons and armor, less generic story(any story at all really would be better) and meaningful loot instead of the random algorithm that made most of it dull and boring. It was a good first effort from a small studio but not really a Diablo competitor. I hope TL2 focuses on any of those gameplay elements first instead of just trying to do multiplayer.

15. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 11:07 Zadig

It was fun to play once but lacked the endless replay value of the Diablo games. Hopefully multiplayer will change that - Diablo on a LAN is still some of best fun I've had with gaming.

Torchlight 2 absolutely, positively, must be released in a playable state before Diablo 3.

14. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 10:59 Golwar

Darks wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 10:29:
Golwar wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 07:31:
I guess I'm the one exception then, who regrets his day-1 purchase of TL. I don't know if it was just the missing multiplayer, but I found no joy with that game.

Currently I'd only consider picking TL2 somewhat later during a sale, if D3 should be delayed even further and if friends can confirm me that TL2 is indeed better.

Of course TL2 is going to be better, its got 6 player Coop and local LAN to play Coop too. how can that not be better?

As I said, it surely lacked the multiplayer part, but I'm not sure if this alone was, or will be, everything that it needed to be a good game.

At least it surely won't be worse than TL1.

13. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 10:29 Darks

I guess I'm the one exception then, who regrets his day-1 purchase of TL. I don't know if it was just the missing multiplayer, but I found no joy with that game.

Currently I'd only consider picking TL2 somewhat later during a sale, if D3 should be delayed even further and if friends can confirm me that TL2 is indeed better.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

12. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 08:27 spindoctor

Krovven wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 00:21:
It was originally due out this past spring. Was delayed to August I believe.

I think it's delayed to September or October. Or I might be thinking of Trine 2. One of those is delayed definitely.

As for Torchlight, 1 million sales is pretty good. It would be nice to have more stats about the game sales... what percentages of sales were on which platform, retail v/s digital sales, average price paid per platform etc.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

11. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 08:24 Rhialto

I can't say I have regrets but after a few hours in, I was not enjoying it enough to invest more time. I would prefer play DII again for another run.

10. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 08:07 kanniballl

I just picked it up for like $3 the other day from a Steam sale, it was like 80% or 85% off and later went to 50% off. I'll try it this weekend.

I recall trying the demo some time ago and thought it was interesting but didn't get around to playing it.

I figure for $3 I can't go wrong. Even if I flat-out hate it, $3 is nothing. It's like renting a movie you wound up not liking.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 08:31.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 07:31 Golwar

8. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 07:28 WaltC

Bad grammar. Should be "Torchlight Sells a Million." Torchlight is singular, not plural.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

7. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 05:51 Dev

Kajetan wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 03:37:
They should put out torchlight 2 quickly, so it won't be competing with diablo 3.
Well but it should be out at least a few months before D3 so it can build sales.

I'm not saying they should rush it out, but they should definitely make it a goal to be out before diablo 3 to maximize sales.

6. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 03:37 Kajetan

5. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 03:23 Dev

Congrats! I'm glad to hear it, I love it when indie devs do well on games, especially ones that are on PC (even if they are on other platforms too). They should put out torchlight 2 quickly, so it won't be competing with diablo 3.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo