Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit

Square Enix is suing a group of 15 "Italian nationals" for leaking a preview build of Deus Ex: Human Revolution to torrent sites a couple of months ago, reports Kotaku. Word is: "As part of court filings issued last month in Washington, Square Enix accuse the fifteen of logging into the servers where the demo was hosted using the access information of an Italian games magazine (GMC), where they found the preview build of the game, copied it and uploaded it onto the internet."

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

73. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 22:21 Drayth

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:17:
J wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:10:
Popcorn

P.S. I think NoBS has a couple of letters too many in his handle

Blue's News: A day without rage is a day without sunshine.

Don't you recognize who NoBS is, NIN? The multiple replies.. the use of the word "moot", PURE HATRED FOR VALVE.. especially steam??

Edit--My stance on the suing is indifferent. I do believe the leak was a positive thing overall for the game. If they want to prosecute though, they have every right to. I have no problem with that, especially considering they're not suing for $5,000,000 in damages or some stupid shit like that.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 22:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

72. Publisher doing this. Jul 6, 2011, 22:21 headkase

This may have been written already, I'll go back and check out all the comments in a bit, but the immediate thing about this story that stuck out at me - and I think even if it has already been mentioned deserves it again is: this is the publisher doing this. Publishers have more of a reason to have a bug up their butt than a developer: Eidos. I have this game pre-ordered, you know: paid, and this story does not change a single feeling I have that it is almost certainly going to be an awesome game. I haven't downloaded or looked for this leaked copy: I'll happily wait and experience it all new with less bugs than the leak, but, if I was something like dying then I wouldn't feel bad about going and getting the leak.

Basically, you can understand a publisher going after people who infringe their products because it is their business. But also, at the same time, the leak is no where near a complete product so if they do get the people who did leak it under a rock: I hope they don't squish them too much.

71. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 22:20 Tanto Edge

What i've gleaned from this whole thread is this:
There are those who feel a crime was committed, there are those who feel it was free advertising, and there are those who don't give a fuck.
I'm buying the game and I hope they smarten up before the official release and release some cool schwag instead of those stupid in game weapons. Seriously, it's a stealth game, what the fuck am I gonna do with a double barreled sawed off?!?
I'll just download the 'exclusive' level later.
Exclusive level indeed.. an open ended game like this and you think you can buy my preorder with one stray story map?!? I mean, if they'd advertised it as, 'Pre-order and learn about Tracer Tong in an exclusive storyline' maybe I'd be suckered, but as it stands, no dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

70. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 22:09 Krovven

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:08:
No one can opt out of Steam's spyware survey as far as I know. Steam survey is an integral feature of Steam that can not be turned off.

So very very wrong. Whenever they reset the survey stats and roll out a new survey, users are prompted with a pop-up asking if they would like to take part in the new survey the next time they restart Steam.
Edit: Dev has provided more details about this below.

You can opt out of Steam Guard. You can opt out of the hardware/software survey. You can opt out of Steam Cloud.

Onto NoBS's comments...you have to be freaking stupid if you think Valve shouldn't maintain log files of the activity on the Steam network. There is no valid argument here, it would just be simply stupid not to.

69. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 20:50 J

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:17:
Popcorn

I hear ya. Oh, by the way, I get onto the boat but it doesn't do anything... I think this game sucks

68. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 20:47 mlw

Tumbler wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:30:
I was not excited about Deus Ex Human Revolution. But, then I played the leaked version or demo or whatever it is for 8 hours. I am now going to buy it. I like it.

You're in luck! This game is or sale right now!

Deus Ex HR

It's even on sale for 10% off! So buy it.

Thanks. I just beat that price. Preordered from gamesplanet.com for 18% off.

67. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 20:17 nin

Popcorn

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

66. No subject Jul 6, 2011, 20:14 AnointedSword

Awesome! Companies might do this on purpose in some cases, but this is against the law in several areas. If you cannot get a judgment on these guys,make it a criminal charge of stealing property.  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

65. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 20:10 J

Popcorn

64. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 20:00 Sepharo

Has anyone said that this isn't illegal?

The usual folks are in here responding to, "The leak was actually probably good for them" with "STEALING = STEALING QED"

Very nice work, A+

63. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 19:45 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:45:
Steam's been open about hardware IDs since May. Even if you were unaware before it's impossible to be unaware now - every time you use a device with a new hardware ID it makes you authorize it via a code emailed to you.

Except when their system is under stress like during a sale now. Its been 3 or so days, still never got the email when I tried to login to my laptop.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:08:
NoBS wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 16:56:
I thought if you opted out of Steam's hardware/software spyware survey, your information was not tracked and stored.

I'm pretty sure what Beamer described has to do with SteamGuard which is indeed optional and allows you to bind your Steam account to certain physical machines, thus making it harder for haXX0rs to hack into Steam accounts.
No one can opt out of Steam's spyware survey as far as I know. Steam survey is an integral feature of Steam that can not be turned off.

He is indeed talking about steamguard. Which is enabled by DEFAULT now. You MUST opt out of it if you don't want to use it. Goto "SETTINGS" then you will see a section that says "Security Status: Protected by steamguard". You can disable it if you like. All it does, is if a new computer tries to login to your account, it sends an access code to your email account and you use that code to enable the new computer. Its to prevent hacking. I personally like the idea.... if they would ever actually send the emails when the servers are under load.

As for Steam Hardware survey, last I checked it asked you when it was doing a survey if you wanted to do it. Maybe this has changed, but thats what I recall.

Edit:
Yeah here, it says optional
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
It probably remembers your previous answer about if it could do the survey or not, so you haven't seen the popup in a while. I've seen it a few times not too long ago since I've done some computer upgrades/reinstalls etc.

Edit 2: A google search reveals a steam forum mod saying not everyone gets the survey, its always something that prompts to see if you want to do it, and it often hits if you have new hardware.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 20:01.

62. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 19:38 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:55:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:52:
So the general consensus is that it's everyone's fault except the piece of shit thieves who stole and leaked an incomplete product and that this clearly means the game will sell better, even though there's not a shred of evidence to that effect? It's beginning to sound a lot like TechDirt.

You also don't have a shred of evidence to the effect that it will cause the game to sell WORSE. So I'm not really sure what your point is.

Creston

Argument from ignorance. Making the assertion puts the burden of proof on people making that claim offer some evidence of its truth.

61. be careful what you wish for Jul 6, 2011, 19:19 space captain

if thats what you really want...

heads up!

Go forth, and kill!

60. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:56 Ruffiana

Regardless of how good the leaked version is or isn't, regardless of where it was stored to make it convenient for press to get access to it, regardless of whether or not this illegitimate copy of the game leads to word of mouth sales...the bottom line is someone stole credentials, downloaded a piece of software they didn't have any right to download and then, redistributed it over the internet. All before the game has been released.

That's just flat out illegal. I've never heard of a more black and white case of copyright infringement outside of some kind of Mission Impossible plot where they physically break into the developer's offices using elaborate disguises and make off with a hard drive.

Not every asshat behavior needs to be rationalized away as serving the greater good. Some douchebags are actually criminals and deserve to have the fucking book thrown at them.

59. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:55 Creston

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:52:
So the general consensus is that it's everyone's fault except the piece of shit thieves who stole and leaked an incomplete product and that this clearly means the game will sell better, even though there's not a shred of evidence to that effect? It's beginning to sound a lot like TechDirt.

You also don't have a shred of evidence to the effect that it will cause the game to sell WORSE. So I'm not really sure what your point is.

Creston

58. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:30 Tumbler

I was not excited about Deus Ex Human Revolution. But, then I played the leaked version or demo or whatever it is for 8 hours. I am now going to buy it. I like it.

You're in luck! This game is or sale right now!

Deus Ex HR

It's even on sale for 10% off! So buy it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

57. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:18 mlw

56. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:13 Drayth

Wow, this thread's bringing out all the ol' timers (with new names).  

55. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:03 space captain

yeh you better keep that tinfoil hat on tight, they already have your MAC address, bloatedme  
Go forth, and kill!

54. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 18:01 LittleMe

nm  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo