Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit

Square Enix is suing a group of 15 "Italian nationals" for leaking a preview build of Deus Ex: Human Revolution to torrent sites a couple of months ago, reports Kotaku. Word is: "As part of court filings issued last month in Washington, Square Enix accuse the fifteen of logging into the servers where the demo was hosted using the access information of an Italian games magazine (GMC), where they found the preview build of the game, copied it and uploaded it onto the internet."

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

13. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 12:27 deadearth

They are only suing them for $5000, not very harsh considering the crime. Also kudos to valve for obeying their privacy policy.

edit: actually it says in excess of $5000, so not sure exactly how much it would end up being. Regardless I don't blame a company of suing the person that leaked an early build regardless of whether it helped or not. Its the type of behaviour you would want to discourage.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 12:19 Acleacius

Zyrxil wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:58:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:55:
I've avoided 90% of the previews........Sad when we have to hope for mediocre from the game industry.
That post didn't make a lot of sense...none at all, really. You avoided all information so you're worried about a game's quality based on a lawsuit?
Sure you would be correct, if I was born yesterday and didn't have any idea of the history of this franchise.

"This is an example" <---- That make it clearer for you?

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 12:03 Beelzebud

RTFA... This was not a public (or semi-public, whatever that means..) server. The person had to have credentials that were supplied to one magazine in Italy. The fault isn't going to be with Square Enix. A game "journalist" is about to cost his company a lot of money, and lose their career.  

10. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:58 Zyrxil

Acleacius wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:55:
I've avoided 90% of the previews and didn't get the leak, but this is exactly why I'm still concerned about the game's quality. We're stuck with it either way, it's too late to fix if it's broken.

Sad when we have to hope for mediocre from the game industry.
That post didn't make a lot of sense...none at all, really. You avoided all information so you're worried about a game's quality based on a lawsuit?

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:55 Acleacius

I've avoided 90% of the previews and didn't get the leak, but this is exactly why I'm still concerned about the game's quality. We're stuck with it either way, it's too late to fix if it's broken.

Sad when we have to hope for mediocre from the game industry.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:36 Darks

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:27:
Suing them? They should be fucking THANKING them.

That leaked build has done more to build positive word of mouth about this game than all the 9 billion previews combined.

Idiots.

Creston

They dont see it that way, these companies are so greed driven that they have lost all sanity when it comes to their IP. If they were smart they would release the demo and call it a good day. But Square Enix has never been very smart.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

7. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:27 Creston

Suing them? They should be fucking THANKING them.

That leaked build has done more to build positive word of mouth about this game than all the 9 billion previews combined.

Idiots.

Creston

6. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 briktal

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 10:39:
Yeah good luck with that. If the server is public, or even semi-public, requiring no, or limited login credentials to gain access. The only one at fault will be Square Enix.

It was Steam.

Link

5. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 Fion

Yea Square Enix, you guys do realize this leak has only been good for you. How many more preorders or day one purchasers will have made that decision by playing this leaked demo?

You bet that number is a whole hell of a lot.

4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:18 Drayth

That leak convinced me to pre-order the game for sure. Id say it probably did more good than harm on the whole.

If a game company thinks they have a hit game on their hands, part of the marketing's budget should be given to the developer to have them build a unique level to use as a free demo, if you as me.

Half-Life: Uplink is still one of the best demos ever, imo (though it came out after the game's release).

3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 11:13 eRe4s3r

Solution - don't host your preview build on the internet.  

2. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 10:56 Slashman

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 10:39:
Yeah good luck with that. If the server is public, or even semi-public, requiring no, or limited login credentials to gain access. The only one at fault will be Square Enix.

I don't get you. They said that the individuals used credentials gained from an Italian gaming magazine right? Then I'd say the ones at fault would be both the magazine and the individuals in question.

Game companies usually give pre-release builds/demos to the press right?

Maybe I'm not getting it...

1. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Leak Lawsuit Jul 6, 2011, 10:39 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo