Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 7, 2011, 20:13 jimnms

The main reason for asking you to put away electronic devices during takeoff and landing is for safety, not interference with navigation systems. If there is an emergency during takeoff or landing and the plane crashes, you don't need a bunch of laptops and iPads flying around the cabin like missiles.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 7, 2011, 01:36 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:56:
and that's for several good reasons.

Of which all have been debunked.

I always secretly keep mine on and use it in hiding. If it is SO CRITICAL they would confiscate them...or terrorists would carry hundreds of them on the plane to down it.

It is all BS.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2011, 13:56 Cutter

I'm pretty sure I read in another article on this that this was some kind of commercial grade iPad built specifically to work with avionics. Not sure about that though. And besides, even if it's not, it's not like you can't use your devices on a plane either. It's only during the critical points of take-off and landing that you can't and that's for several good reasons.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2011, 12:21 jimnms

What I find stupid is that a few years ago Jeppesen came out with an electronic tablet device for navigation charts and manuals. After R&D and jumping through hoops to get FAA certification it ended up costing a couple of thousand bucks. Now the iPad comes along and gets a free pass without any testing and certification. There must be some Apple fanboys at the FAA.

I have seen the Amazon kindle used by general aviation pilots. I think it would be better suited to the job because of the non glaring e-ink display and longer battery life.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2011, 11:05 kanniballl

So...

Pilots can use an iPad in the cockpit about 3' from the instruments during flight or to lookup stuff for landing...

But I can't use my iPad in the passenger section?

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo