Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to George W. Bush and the Dalai Lama. I'm thinking this disproves astrology in and of itself.

Astrological Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Rejoin.
Paper Cannon 2.
Links: Family Illness - xkcd. My heart goes out.
Manhattan in Miniature. Thanks Neatorama.
List of Shocking, Infamous Not Guilty Verdicts.
Images: Creepier Versions Of The Mario Bad Guys. Thanks Neatorama.
Stormtrooper Plays Star Wars Galaxies.
Tutoring FAIL and Epic FAIL.
Media: Duke Nukem Forever- Operation Nyan Cat.
Non-Newtonian fluid (corn starch) on a subwoofer.
Drift FAIL. AKA, the importance of lug nuts.
Auction: PopCap Charity Auction Week 4.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Differences Jul 7, 2011, 08:24 kanniballl

Personally, I don't follow the politics as well as others and can't analyse "he did this" or "they did that."

I recall learning back in high school that in general, a lot of the problems AND successes are often due to the mistakes or work by previous administrations. Either in part or in whole, so the condemnation or praise a president gets for something is often not 100% warranted. I learned that it was in general, as opposed to the earlier debate of Democrat long-term vs Republican long-term.

I agree with the posters saying our economic situation has been a while coming and that the current administration isn't really to blame. If a sinking ship is already pretty far gone, changing captains is only going to do so much.

I think Obama is doing an alright job: not incredible but not horrible either.

However I was expecting, or at least hoping for, "more." Not from his election speeches (which really don't mean anything) but just from the fact that I thought W was just so bad that anything else would be a real improvement.

It's like hating your previous boss or professor. When you go to your next job or class you think "ah, fresh start this is going to be great." Just because the last guy was the devil doesn't mean the next guy is going to be the second coming, even though part of you thinks/hopes he will be. The universe isn't that balanced or fair.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 08:56.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Differences Jul 7, 2011, 05:23 xXBatmanXx

Well he did F us. I also say that others didn't do much different. But look at this:
http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/06/winners-and-losers-great-recession

Obamanomics is directly behind this.

I point back to one of my original points. Injecting 10 Trillion dollars into a failing economy does not make it better.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: Differences Jul 7, 2011, 02:15 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 01:45:
wall of sensible text

I agree with nearly everything there but this one:

xXBatmanXx wrote:
The current President really F'd us.

While he certainly had a hand in and contributed to it, I think the whole government from about 2000 on is to blame here for the most part. It's failed to protect us from the international corporations and basically allows them to run the show. Deregulation that fueled speculative bubbles fucked us and then we let the corporations decide how to fix the problem: give them freshly printed money for nothing.

The "please don't tank the whole world economy, here take this obscene amount of money" solution was in place long before Obama.

26. Re: Differences Jul 7, 2011, 01:45 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 23:51:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 21:52:
Cutter it's obvious that the measures made to fix the economy by Republican presidents don't have an effect on the economy until the next presidency.

This happens to be an exception here of course, I'm sure in the next few years when the economy is soaring again it will be due to the hard work of W. Bush but of course Obama will get all the credit.

Ahh yes, that's obviously it. How silly of me. Thanks for pointing that out. I can't believe I've had it so bass ackwards all these years. I guess Rush i right after all, boy, we non-neocons sure are stupid, duh.

You cannot force an economy into recovery by dumping 10 trillion dollars into private corporations. We have no way to pay for what was given away. The money will never be recovered.

For anyone that says the banks recovered because of the money given to them, do some research. They borrowed money at 0% and then borrowed it back to the gubmint for a few points. Then kept the points and gave the money back with a smile.

Is this something new? No, but it hasn't been on this scale before. The current President really F'd us. The unemployment rate is actually closer to 16%+. The reason it only shows 9.2% is because they don't count people who have given up looking for work.

We are in for the long hard one.....hold on tight.

Don't raise the debt, let these big banks fail, etc etc etc. We aren't that far off from Greece, but corporations have record profits some how while spending is at an all time low and credit is at an all time high. It is a disaster waiting to happen. Only a matter of time.

With all that being said....do I think the Republicans could have done any better? No, it is just trendy to say cut spending right now. Look back a few years and the shoe was on the other foot. Both parties are wasteful, they just jump on the bandwagon that gets them into office for their posh jobs.

I have always been Republican, but I am smart enough to know that before my lifetime, the Republicans were more aligned to the current view of the Dems. What is correct? I don't know, probably a mixture of the two extreme's, but I also know I don't like working my ass off and being a good citizen while I see throngs of worhtless pieces of garbage leech off of the system for no reason other than it is super easy to get away with it. Knowing that waste and paying for their welfare comes from those of us who have pride in being a contributing member of society.

Wanna recoup some of this money? Drug test welfare recepients and politicians. Tax politicans like you tax the populace. As you talk about taking away unions and benefits, take away politicians salaries and benefits for life. Fix the tax code. Ban lobbyists.

That would be a good start.

/i digress....had to get it out...

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 01:51.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 23:51 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 21:52:
Cutter it's obvious that the measures made to fix the economy by Republican presidents don't have an effect on the economy until the next presidency.

This happens to be an exception here of course, I'm sure in the next few years when the economy is soaring again it will be due to the hard work of W. Bush but of course Obama will get all the credit.

Ahh yes, that's obviously it. How silly of me. Thanks for pointing that out. I can't believe I've had it so bass ackwards all these years. I guess Rush i right after all, boy, we non-neocons sure are stupid, duh.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 21:52 Sepharo

23. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 21:32 Cutter

maleitch wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:51:
HAHAHAHA...that is good stuff Cutter. Like you were even alive to live through Carter. Keep preaching that myth. You libs produce zero capital outside of academia theories...which is why Obama's dream team of zero private sector experience idiots went crawling back to Berkley to teach again after being humiliated.

This never ending recession was caused by Democrats and continues to be exacerbated by Democrats. They took control of the purse strings in 2006 which your side loves to gloss over. You pussy neocomms keep fcking that chicken...I am sure mama gubment will give you someone else's money in good time.

1. I was around for Carter and remember it pretty well. The Camp David accords are what first got me interested in politics and history. I was also around for Ford, Nixon, and LBJ too. You, however sound like you were barely around for Clinton and that your parents probably haven't given you the permission to post on these boards that you legally require.

2. Democrats have always crushed the republicans on the economy. Anyone who knows anything about American political history knows that. When it comes to trust America breaks it down into economy - democrat, war - republican. Plain and simple.

Here are a good many actual facts to back that up. However, we all know dittoheads and their other ilk like you have no interest in these things because that would mean you'd have to stop spewing your nonsense and start dealing with reality instead. So much easier to blame all your problems on some boogeyman, isn't it?

Why Americans Trust Democrats to Fix the Economy
http://www.perrspectives.com/blog/archives/001913.htm

The superior performance of Democratic presidents covers virtually the entire spectrum of economic indicators. As Elliott Parker of the University of Nevada, Reno detailed in a 2006 paper, since 1949 Democratic administrations have done better than Republican ones when it comes to unemployment (5.2% to 6.0%), job creation (-.0.4% decrease in unemployment, compared to 0.3% increase), GDP growth rate (4.2% to 2.9%), and even corporate profits as a share of GDP. And to be sure, he found the Dow benefits from Democrats in the White House.

There's no shortage of studies to show that stock market returns are higher under Democratic leadership. (As it turns out, Wall Street's performance is also better when Democrats control Congress.) In 2000, Pedro Santa-Clara and Rossen Valkanov of UCLA's Anderson School of Business concluded that "that the average excess return in the stock market is higher under Democratic than Republican presidents - a difference of 9 percent per year for the value-weighted portfolio and 16 percent for the equal-weighted portfolio."

And that's just a taste. In all areas of the economy the democrats just dominate.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 21:25 Sepharo

maleitch wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 21:16:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:58:
Obama's dream team of zero private sector experience

So which is it? Obama appointed all corporate hacks or Obama appointed all lifelong government employees?

I've now heard both.

And why can't it be both.

Oh, so it's a mix of people? Some with private sector experience and others with purely academic experience? How unusual.

21. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 21:16 maleitch

Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 20:58:

So which is it? Obama appointed all corporate hacks or Obama appointed all lifelong government employees?

I've now heard both.

And why can't it be both. Depends on roles and which "good" corporations are going to get the best deals like GE.

Concerning his Council of Economic Advisors:

Goolsbee

Summers quits after failing

But if you really gave a shit you would already know.

20. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 20:58 Sepharo

I've now heard both.

19. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 20:56 nin

I like ice cream.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 20:51 maleitch

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:08:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:14:
CalmDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:49:
Not so different. One has a master's in business administration, the other in philosophy. Both became leaders in their area of the world, both travel a lot. Your opinion of one or the other is what seperates them from each other. Rule your mind.
Won't happen until people stop being partisan hacks, and figure out that they elected Carter II to the white house.

And Carter was still better than any other republican president. Just like Clinton he inherited the mess of 2 republican presidents before him

HAHAHAHA...that is good stuff Cutter. Like you were even alive to live through Carter. Keep preaching that myth. You libs produce zero capital outside of academia theories...which is why Obama's dream team of zero private sector experience idiots went crawling back to Berkley to teach again after being humiliated.

This never ending recession was caused by Democrats and continues to be exacerbated by Democrats. They took control of the purse strings in 2006 which your side loves to gloss over. You pussy neocomms keep fcking that chicken...I am sure mama gubment will give you someone else's money in good time.

17. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 19:40 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:08:
And Carter was still better than any other republican president. Just like Clinton he inherited the mess of 2 republican presidents before him and had to deal with an oil crisis and recession that wasn't his fault, and in spite of it he actually did quite well, not to mention banged out the Camp David Accords to boot. Obama isn't Carter II, he's more like the left hand of Bush. Love or hate Bush at least you know where he stood and where you stood in relation to that. Obama's just long on talk, and short on delivery. What a mjaor dissapointment that guy has been.

Carter was the last real democratic president you'll ever see, and Bush Sr. was the last true republican you'll ever see as president - and in fact the only republican prez in my lifetime that I actually respected. Now it's all 2 sides of the same coin regardless of the public spectacle and histrionics both sides engage in. Welcome to the puppet show!

Wouldn't go that far, but on a lot of domestic policies Carter did a lot right. His foreign policy was a joke, but Carter needs to be given credit where credit is due (from both Democrats and Republicans) for his deregulation of the phone and airline industries.

16. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 19:00 Creston

ppssstt. A recession isn't really anyone's fault. Markets just go up and down, it happens. Sometimes it coincides with a republican president, sometimes with a democratic president.

And though all candidates all vow to "fix the economy," they know full well that nobody can really fix it, and that it'll just fix itself again.

Seriously, this has been economic theory 101 since Keynes. I know the politicians want you to believe differently, that THEY are the ones who can make a difference in a free market economy, but they really can't.

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 18:59 xXBatmanXx

Bard wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 13:31:
another bloody birthday out of the hangman's noose where he belongs.

!(*!@*(#& war criminal. [/quote

*yawn*

If that is your feeling - throw Obama in there too you numbskull....and probably every President/leader since the Revolution.

14. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 18:08 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 17:14:
Not so different. One has a master's in business administration, the other in philosophy. Both became leaders in their area of the world, both travel a lot. Your opinion of one or the other is what seperates them from each other. Rule your mind.
Won't happen until people stop being partisan hacks, and figure out that they elected Carter II to the white house.

And Carter was still better than any other republican president. Just like Clinton he inherited the mess of 2 republican presidents before him and had to deal with an oil crisis and recession that wasn't his fault, and in spite of it he actually did quite well, not to mention banged out the Camp David Accords to boot. Obama isn't Carter II, he's more like the left hand of Bush. Love or hate Bush at least you know where he stood and where you stood in relation to that. Obama's just long on talk, and short on delivery. What a mjaor dissapointment that guy has been.

Carter was the last real democratic president you'll ever see, and Bush Sr. was the last true republican you'll ever see as president - and in fact the only republican prez in my lifetime that I actually respected. Now it's all 2 sides of the same coin regardless of the public spectacle and histrionics both sides engage in. Welcome to the puppet show!

13. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 17:14 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 16:24 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 14:08:
We have a very evil man and very holy man born on the same day. That proves astrology! That or the universe has a sense of humour.

That's a cruel thing to say about the Dalai Lama, and you're clearly overshooting on Bush.

11. Re: Steam Sale Question... Jul 6, 2011, 16:15 nin

Is the Gothic series worth 20 bucks?

I've never tried any of them, but everyone raves about Gothic 2. I think the series has a reputation of "ship now, patch whenever" which has hurt it a bit (thought I remember people saying 3 was really bad about that).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Steam Sale Question... Jul 6, 2011, 15:56 The Half Elf

Is the Gothic series worth 20 bucks?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo