Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week

PlanetSide2.com has a countdown timer at about two days and counting, and a new PlanetSide 2 Facebook Page saves us any math issues by promising an announcement on July 7 (Thursday) at 7:00 pm PDT. The meta description on the website offers more: "PlanetSide 2 is the only first person shooter that delivers truly epic, massive combat on a scale never before seen in stunning, breathtaking detail. Be a part of explosive action in a futuristic world with forces ranging from tactical squads to thousand player armies all taking place in real-time on enormous open-world continents." Thanks PlanetSide Universe.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 14:51 Trevellian

They've already confirmed no BFR's months ago. Now. As long as the rest of the game plays almost identical to the original with better graphics. Me and my Outfit will be happy.

How addicted to Planetside are we you ask?
This is how addicted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0vW8OANPE

Long live C22 Konried.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 10:21 Zanthar

Even 100 vs 100 is better than the current crop of FPS shit out there. Hell, 50 vs 50 is a strech.

Planetside's biggest flaw was that it was made without content updates in mind. I remember the devs saying it was a bitch to even change small stuff in the game.

I played again recently when SOE gave free access because of the hacking. It still had some small bugs, some going back all the way to its release in 2003, but the game is still fun. You can't say the same thing about many other 8yr old games.

Unless SOE totally fucks up the sequel (which is VERY possible) I'll definatly be playing the shit out of this when it's out.

16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 09:30 space captain

Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 01:03:
space captain wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 23:15:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 22:56:
Wait no, that shouldn't be congratulated.

why is that, exactly? i want to get in on the finger wagging too

Originally it said "Wait no, who the fuck cares."

But I didn't want to imply that I didn't care about PlanetSide 2, because I do.

you could have said "wait no who the fuck cares about the date" and it would have been pretty clear.. and without directly saying so, let me imply that you are completely full of shit

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 09:10 JoeNapalm

The original was flawed but, for a time, brilliant.

Please be awesome.

Thank you.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

14. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 08:48 Fibrocyte

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 03:10:
Thousand player armies... what sort of magic internet provider are we supposed to have for this to work?

At least in the USA, bandwidth in South Korea for example is probably fine for this.

It's their responsibility to build the game and your responsibility to secure the means to play it as intended.

13. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 08:47 John Lovitz

Thousand player armies... what sort of magic internet provider are we supposed to have for this to work?

Any provider really. Its never been about the internet you have, its always the servers lagging on other end for massive battles.

Now graphics lag is a different story. Loading up on screen hundreds of avatars at a time is going to be laggy on low end hardware. Depending on engine I suppose.

P.S: I hate when people call it "internet lag" when its not the internet at all.

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 06:30 Steelcamp

I want to fight over an un-capture-able bridge.  
-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

11. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 03:27 Veterator

Original Planetside was what...100-150 per side, maybe 300-400 tops in a zone before it turned people away? They never got it to play smooth or reliably stable when a zone was full and they bunched up when it was in the open terrain zones with all the vehicles and what not.

They need to put out actual info, videos, and screenshots about this game. All we've seen so far is hype, and historically with SOE and hype you end up with half a broken game and a lot of promises at launch. And a broken but kind of working game when they finally give up and take back all of those promises.

And then crap out an expansion with another handful of promises that they never really get around to.

10. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 03:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

At least in the USA, bandwidth in South Korea for example is probably fine for this.

9. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 01:45 Cutter

The potential is there at any rate. We'll have to see if this actually delivers though and they learned from their mistakes in the original.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 01:23 Nate

I'm going to like BF3 but 1000 player battles is going to be such great fun!  

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 01:03 Sepharo

space captain wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 23:15:

Originally it said "Wait no, who the fuck cares."

But I didn't want to imply that I didn't care about PlanetSide 2, because I do.

6. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 6, 2011, 00:42 Steele Johnson

Hoping this game is as good as it sounds. I'd go so far as to say that it's a candidate for changing the genre (please don't #@!% it up!).  

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 5, 2011, 23:15 space captain

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 5, 2011, 22:56 Sepharo

Well played.

3. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 5, 2011, 22:26 Razumen

Nice, although I don't play it anymore (The first had some pretty bad lag issues with lots of players in the same battle) I hope this succeeds.  

2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 5, 2011, 22:11 space captain

CommunistHamster wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 22:10:
Oh yes.

QFMFT

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Announcement This Week Jul 5, 2011, 22:10 CommunistHamster

Oh yes.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >