Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Trion on Free RIFT Transfers

With RIFT version 1.3 adding the promised free character transfers, Ten Ton Hammer has a conversation with RIFT Design Producer Hal Hanlin about how this is going, and he explains why Trion is not charging for the service. "Itís easy for us to do this, I donít know about those other companies who seem to make a production about it, but for us itís a simple process," he tells them. "Our main focus is for players to have fun playing the game, and if that means moving to play with their friends, or simply moving to a more lively shard Ė then weíre all for that."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 21:41 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 11:47:
Oh no, they had to perform a join! Either way it's not $10 per customer worth of SQL statements.

Fuck joins. I'm nesting queries up in this.

Update Characters Set ServerId = 15 Where CharacterId in (Select CharacterId from Characters where ServerId = 2 and CharacterId in (Select CharacterId from Accounts where AccountId = 1337))

/me has been garrotted by DBA

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 18:09 Zadig

PropheT wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 17:42:
It just plain would not work with most of these games, especially Rift where zone events wouldn't really work if there weren't zones in the first place.

Expanding the game world would also require having something for them to do in the expanded areas. It's not just a matter of space that warrants the limit of players per area.

And besides, I like leveling.

A game does not need multiple servers to have zones. My idea is for all zones & players to be on one server like EVE and Guild Wars.

Yes, the new areas would obviously have content.

Liking leveling means enjoying it when your numbers get bigger. This can be achieved with faction grinding, achievements, titles or anything that doesn't create a dysfunctional gameworld. There's no need for developers to keep creating vast MMO worlds where most of the zones will be ghost towns not long after launch.

27. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 11:47 Verno

Oh no, they had to perform a join! Either way it's not $10 per customer worth of SQL statements.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

26. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 11:46 Verno

whoops double post.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 12:30.

25. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 09:38 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 11:25:
Of course not, it's a fucking database flag. It always kind of galled me that Blizzard charged for something that is entirely automated through scripts. They always used the support staff excuse but those people already existed for other departments.

It depends on how it was designed. I'm not saying it should cost anything. Considering most games have made it an automated process, charging $8 or something to auto-run a script is insane.

But chances are it's more than a flag or changing a foreign key to point to server 12 instead of server 3.

• Maybe they have different schemas or even database-servers for each game-server. To let each DB server have its own table space to keep maintenance/performance up there

• Maybe they decided to use the toon-name as a primary or otherwise unique key

• etc

•  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 23:42 LittleMe

Acleacius wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 18:44:
    Another big problem with overpopulation is people put items up on the Auction board for less than they get from a vendor, so it's impossible to make a profit.

Fine of you to have complaints about the game but I can see that this particular issue is probably intentional. People could scum stores and then resell the rarer/nicer items at auction. That could ruin the designers' intention to keep control on the items people are buying and using in-game - to keep the game more balanced.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

23. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 19:30 OldScho0l

I don't know why people seem to think that transfers will damage an economy in these virtual worlds. For one thing, you only have a limited amount of bag space when you transfer your toon and this will hardly put a dent in any servers economy. Once you sell those items, it's over. Also, there could very well be another guy filling your spot on the server that you just left. If anything, it will improve economies buy lowering prices. The economies in these virtual worlds fluctuate constantly and transfers aren't going to change that. Someone please give me one solid example of how this would damage an economy. It doesn't make sense.  

22. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 18:44 Acleacius

Fun game but the big problem is the way Rift is handling it. They still have the server acceptable population limit set too high.

As an example, when this started Alsbeth was a medium server (iirc) and now it's full with a que. So after the first week, there was a pretty big exodus, though it's still too full.

Now in Meridian last night (started about 5:00pm), it took 10 seconds for the NPCs spawn, when you reach their spot. Not mention the draw distance seem to automatically be reduced, you can be standing at the Class Trainers and can't see people at the portal a few meters away.

Secondly the big problem is there was a bug were you couldn't move your low level characters, so now my two Guardians are stuck on another server and Alsbeth is removed from the Transfer list. I did move them to a very good balanced population server (afraid to list the name), since they turned our server into a Trail server.

Sadly though the Guild moved too soon to Alsbeth. People do seem to be leaving Alsbeth, since it had cues up to 40 minutes the first week but not this week (hoping they moved, not just the holiday).

Another big problem with overpopulation is people put items up on the Auction board for less than they get from a vendor, so it's impossible to make a profit.

Hopefully this is just a temporary problem or the guild moves to a better server.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

21. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 18:31 Granz

Dude everyone knows WoW was the first MMO. Don't be silly!

At least when your 18 years old it was the first MMO! Damn you Blizzard ruining everything! Before you we didn't have MMO's we paid for! Oh wait! Yes we did! 15 dollars a month too! Rift will be the next F2P. It was a good game but I already leveled in WoW it's the same thing. The MMO market is boring. I am tired of killing 10 cows for new loot.

eunichron wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 14:40:
    Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 14:28:
    Yea Blizzard has had a 'make money any way we can' attitude since WoW hit. It hasn't really ever had any major competition so they could get away with charging a monthly fee and also having microtransactions. On top of that charging twice what the other guys do for things like character name changes or switching servers. I mean now they are seriously considering charging extra for 'premium content'? It's audacious in the least.

But now the days of WoW's absolute dominance are coming to a close, with games like GW2 and SW:ToR on the horizon. They won't be able to rape their customer base much longer and still hold a leading position in the market.

You do know that monthly fees for MMOs were around long before WoW was even an idea on paper, right? $10-$15 was about the standard before WoW was released.

As for microtransactions and charging for services; the "microtransactions" are purely for aesthetic items; mounts, non-combat pets, vanity items that have no impact on the game, most of which have a similar item that already exists in the game that can be obtained freely. The rates they charge for services is kind of ridiculous, but I wouldn't expect things like name/race/server transfers to be free no matter who the company was.

20. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 18:14 DrEvil

zerobytes wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 12:25:
    Free transfers remove the only deterrent to extremely obnoxious behavior.

No, they do not.

Obnoxious behaviour should be dealt with regardless of its source.

I think you'd have a better argument saying that free transfers could have a negative impact on the economy or population balance of the game, in which case simply putting limits on the number of transfers and enforcing terms of services should be sufficient.

19. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 17:42 PropheT

Zadig wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:44:
    Designing a MMO to use dozens of realms needs to stop. Instead they can abandon the archaic leveling concept and expand the game world horizontally as the population increases. It would also save developers from having the very embarrassing mass server merges a few months after launch.

It just plain would not work with most of these games, especially Rift where zone events wouldn't really work if there weren't zones in the first place.

Expanding the game world would also require having something for them to do in the expanded areas. It's not just a matter of space that warrants the limit of players per area.

And besides, I like leveling.

18. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 16:44 Zadig

Designing a MMO to use dozens of realms needs to stop. Instead they can abandon the archaic leveling concept and expand the game world horizontally as the population increases. It would also save developers from having the very embarrassing mass server merges a few months after launch.  

17. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 15:52 LittleMe

No mmo's ever charged for Ninja class transfers. They move undetected.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

16. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 15:40 HorrorScope

Agreed, nothing a canned SQL statement/stored procedure can't do quickly and painlessly. Face it, somewhere in those other companies lies a castoff from the Banking system.  

15. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 14:40 eunichron

Fion wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 14:28:
    Yea Blizzard has had a 'make money any way we can' attitude since WoW hit. It hasn't really ever had any major competition so they could get away with charging a monthly fee and also having microtransactions. On top of that charging twice what the other guys do for things like character name changes or switching servers. I mean now they are seriously considering charging extra for 'premium content'? It's audacious in the least.

But now the days of WoW's absolute dominance are coming to a close, with games like GW2 and SW:ToR on the horizon. They won't be able to rape their customer base much longer and still hold a leading position in the market.

You do know that monthly fees for MMOs were around long before WoW was even an idea on paper, right? $10-$15 was about the standard before WoW was released.

As for microtransactions and charging for services; the "microtransactions" are purely for aesthetic items; mounts, non-combat pets, vanity items that have no impact on the game, most of which have a similar item that already exists in the game that can be obtained freely. The rates they charge for services is kind of ridiculous, but I wouldn't expect things like name/race/server transfers to be free no matter who the company was.

14. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 14:36 PropheT

zerobytes wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 12:33:
    Yes, monetary loss is the negative consequence to a lot of things in life--including being a dick in games.

The point was that making money off of disruptive players isn't an appropriate way to deal with those players from a customer service standpoint. If it's even a secondary reason for charging for the transfers then you're punishing legitimate players in order to contain players that they should be dealing with and suspending/banning in the first place.

13. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 14:32 Verno

I mean now they are seriously considering charging extra for 'premium content'? It's audacious in the least.

Haha what? You can't be serious.

12. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 14:28 Fion

11. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 13:41 javajeff

I played WOW with my son when it first came out, and had two accounts for 3 years. I left when they started charging for character moves since I thought it was the same thing as paying for customer support. I think this should be free since the entire premise of the game is to have fun, and the server structure is their infrastructure. No one knows how fun it will be until they play. I took time off from MMOs and, I now play Rift.  

10. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 5, 2011, 12:46 Verno

Free transfers remove the only deterrent to extremely obnoxious behavior

You can't really escape that due to the nature of the Internet without creating inter-connected identity persistence. So it's kind of besides the point. It's also very presumptive to automatically associate transfers with negative behavior. People are dicks in every MMO with or without the ability to transfer.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo