Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a quiet fourth of July, as planned, though the fireworks were way too intense for Hudson the wonder dog, who spent the evening cowering. My rack of baby back ribs turned out to be excellent, so apart from Hudson's terror, a fine time was had by all.

Rack of Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Bomber at War.
Snailiad.
Links: The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Kobayashi Sets World Record With 69 Hot Dogs, Joey Chestnut Wins 2011 Nathan's Contest.
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law.
Doctors debate changes to clocks.
Science: Global warming lull down to China's coal growth.
Antimatter Tevatron mystery gains ground.
Sleeping longer 'helps athletes reach peak performance'.
Terrible Fantasy-Sci-Fi Book Art!.
Media: GTAIV No-Friction Car Mod Returns for the Lulz: Car-Mageddon.
Setting off 5,000 lbs of fireworks.
Smoke Prank.
Auction: Maths powers Google auction strategy.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

4. Re: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law Jul 5, 2011, 12:10 nin

The ones with a helmet know "how" to ride and obey the rules, while the ones without go hands-free in the middle of the road against traffic.

Sadly, I've seen the same thing. I've heard the attitude of "I know how to ride, I don't need a helmet", when in reality the problem half the time isn't the bike rider, but the cars that simply don't look or see them. And yeah, there's also some crazy cyclists who just seem determined to kill themselves out there.

I have a friend who rides, and I lecture the hell out of him. He says he wears a helmet "most of the time", which still causes me worry. No one plans to be in an accident.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law Jul 5, 2011, 11:49 kanniballl

I know someone that was in a very bad motorcycle accident, so it's hard for me to laugh at the irony in that article. Fortunately the person I knew always wears a helmet, but even with the helmet he suffered some severe head trauma.

Personally I think all bikers and even cyclists should wear a helmet. Going without is selfish, and can ruin the lives of their families and even the other people involved with the accident.

Meanwhile, the cyclists I see during my commute without a helmet are usually the ones that need it the most. The ones with a helmet know "how" to ride and obey the rules, while the ones without go hands-free in the middle of the road against traffic.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 11:43 kanniballl

Sunday night was the town's fireworks, it was very over-cast so you really couldn't see them. Just the overall colored-flare lightning up the clouds. We could hear them from the house fine.

Actually, I could hear the fireworks on Monday even better and they were a town over.

What's odd is that while my dog HATES thunder, he's fairly indifferent about fireworks. He doesn't even seem to mind the grand finales.

But if a Thunderstorm is on its way he starts hiding.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 10:41 nin

Not sure if there was a lack of fireworks where I was last night, or if I drank too much. But I didn't hear shit and slept well.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo