Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a quiet fourth of July, as planned, though the fireworks were way too intense for Hudson the wonder dog, who spent the evening cowering. My rack of baby back ribs turned out to be excellent, so apart from Hudson's terror, a fine time was had by all.

Rack of Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Bomber at War.
Snailiad.
Links: The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Kobayashi Sets World Record With 69 Hot Dogs, Joey Chestnut Wins 2011 Nathan's Contest.
NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law.
Doctors debate changes to clocks.
Science: Global warming lull down to China's coal growth.
Antimatter Tevatron mystery gains ground.
Sleeping longer 'helps athletes reach peak performance'.
Terrible Fantasy-Sci-Fi Book Art!.
Media: GTAIV No-Friction Car Mod Returns for the Lulz: Car-Mageddon.
Setting off 5,000 lbs of fireworks.
Smoke Prank.
Auction: Maths powers Google auction strategy.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2011, 01:59 xXBatmanXx

Alamar wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 08:52:
So upon loading bluewsnews.com today, I am auto forwarded to zwsaonline.com for a bullshit scan...

May want to look into your ads again Blue : )

-Alamar

Got that in the middle of the night/early morning. I had to force reboot my box to get it to go away. Was an ipaddress, shoudl have wrote it down. It didn't come from main page, it came from this page, and was probably a rouge ad.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 09:30 mch

Alamar wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 08:52:

So upon loading bluewsnews.com today...

May want to look into your spelling of bluesnews

PSN: CaseDesignate

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 08:52 Alamar

So upon loading bluewsnews.com today, I am auto forwarded to zwsaonline.com for a bullshit scan...

May want to look into your ads again Blue : )

-Alamar

21. The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History. Jul 6, 2011, 00:26 kanniballl

The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History.

A good list, I do a bunch of those from time to time.

Though in "Human History," it's a bit of a exaggeration. Considering some of those items have only been possible for the last few years or decades I'm sure there are a bunch of things from the old days.

Now THAT would be an interesting list. Something farm-oriented or some various brain farts from the beginning of the industrial age.

I might not be able to relate to those, but it would be interesting. Like "leaving the barn door open" or "forgetting to put the block of ice back in the ice box" I'm sure there has to be some Readers Digest versions of this list from various eras.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 00:21 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 23:13:
Would I be safer with a helmet when taking my neighborhood rides? It would reduce my risk by some small amount. But my spin would be, my risk is already so low the inconvenience and minor discomfort of wearing the helmet is "not worth it." If you, nin, or anyone else wants to consider that risky (or worse) behavior -- that is certainly your right. Cheers.

I consider motor biking and cycling in 2 separate categories. Cyclists... there are varying degrees of risk. Though you're usually going only 20 MpH in a low traffic zone.

While I believe cyclists should wear helmets (especially the idiots) I'm not going to wag my finger. The idiots though, sigh, too many near misses. Hmm let's ride the opposite direction on a 50MpH road... fun.

Motorbikes though, that's a big difference in my boat. Someone messes up (biker or car) and splat. The helmet helps a lot in that case.

Should it be a law? Tough call.
I believe in 100% always wearing a seat belt but don't think that should be a law. This is fairly similar.

I won't wag my finger at them either, it's their call. If I see someone riding like an idiot without one though I might feel they're selfish. If the helmet could've saved them, then they decided being more comfortable was more important than their family or the poor SOB that has to live with partaking in the death of another.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 00:35.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 23:13 Mr. Tact

Kanniballl, as you admit, your accident was a stupid-kid thing. I'm neither stupid or a kid. And while as others mentioned, "no one plans on getting in an accident", I think the risk of my having a serious accident while riding my bicycle in my neighborhood is awfully damn low. Accidents can happen anywhere. People slip, fall, and seriously injure themselves in the their own tub/shower. All of life is risk management. Obviously we can't live our lives surrounded by bubble wrap. Everyone makes judgments concerning various risks every single day, physical, economic, moral, whatever..

Would I be safer with a helmet when taking my neighborhood rides? It would reduce my risk by some small amount. But my spin would be, my risk is already so low the inconvenience and minor discomfort of wearing the helmet is "not worth it." If you, nin, or anyone else wants to consider that risky (or worse) behavior -- that is certainly your right. Cheers.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 23:05 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 20:41:
Has anyone ever correlated the breed to the behavior?

I've had Boxers my whole life and never had a dog afraid of fireworks or thunder.

On the forums, no. But I'm sure there are studies.

For example, I'd imagine that dogs used in war zones are usually from some breeds more than others. Besides training, I imagine "reaction to explosions + gunfire" factors in.

-Fry, Futurama

17. TOO LEGIT Jul 5, 2011, 21:23 space captain

if it doesnt fit, you must acquit!  
Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 20:57 Rattlehead

It's great to know that I live in a country, where I can kill my daughter and not get in trouble. Thanks flordia, now I can really teach my kids a lesson!  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 20:41 Sepharo

Has anyone ever correlated the breed to the behavior?

I've had Boxers my whole life and never had a dog afraid of fireworks or thunder.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 17:07 Creston

kanniballl wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:38:
My ex co-worker had strange dogs. They would actually wanted to go outside in thunder storms. Inside they would freak out, hide, bark, indicate they wanted out, etc. But outside they were happy and relaxed. We had no idea why, maybe the walls vibrating gave a scary/unstable sound? Weird, you'd think flashing lights and (I imagine) louder thunder claps would scare them more.

Dogs tend to freak out if something makes noise and they can't see what it is. So being outside, they could see the lightning and make the connection that that's what causing the noise (even if that's a flawed connection.)

Inside they can't really see the lightning (except for the flash.)

My dogs have been freaking out over the fireworks the past couple of days, but if I take them outside, they'll sit on the driveway and watch, and be perfectly fine. (Unless it's firecrackers. Those still freak them out.) Back inside they start barking in minutes.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 16:38 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:08:
1 of my 3 labs still won't go outside after fireworks the last few nights. He stays in the basement at the bottom of the stairs (not such a bad thing, it is cooler) and freaks out.

My ex co-worker had strange dogs. They would actually wanted to go outside in thunder storms. Inside they would freak out, hide, bark, indicate they wanted out, etc. But outside they were happy and relaxed. We had no idea why, maybe the walls vibrating gave a scary/unstable sound? Weird, you'd think flashing lights and (I imagine) louder thunder claps would scare them more.

One of our older dogs (r.i.p.) used to scramble underneath my grandparents' bed whenever there was thunder OR fireworks. She really did not like that stuff.

Of course it got less funny when she got older and fatter and couldn't get out from under the bed on her own. We'd have to lift the bed for her to scramble out.

Our current dog has a few hiding places when there's thunder, it kind of depends on where actual people are sitting. Like he'll give up his #1 spot for the #2 or #3 if someone is sitting near them. None of them are under a bed though, mostly under desks and tables that are next to walls/corners. He's almost like an ostrich, he'll just hide his entire head if that's all he can do.

But he's fine during fireworks.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 17:01.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 16:08 xXBatmanXx

Blue - do you know of anyone, or have you tried these?
http://www.thundershirt.com/

1 of my 3 labs still won't go outside after fireworks the last few nights. He stays in the basement at the bottom of the stairs (not such a bad thing, it is cooler) and freaks out.

A few people have mentioned these to me over the past few days. I couldn't find the one specifically mentioned, but figured I would send over a link of an example. It appears to be a tight vest that consoles them......I dunno....was going to do some research.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 14:46 Verno

Granted I don't know how a bicycle helmet will fair against a 50MpH car... but it's better than nothing.

It helps a lot with falls which are more common than direct impact accidents for sure. Unfortunately the ubiquity of the SUV class vehicle has made cycling(and many other physical activities) quite dangerous in general. Some communities try to increase road safety for cyclists and pedestrians with dedicated lane portions for them but they aren't common enough and many communities in North America have none at all.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 14:29 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 13:59:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 13:36:
If you are cycling around the neighborhood I have no grief with riders not wearing helmets. However, if you are getting onto even moderately busy streets I feel it's pretty much a "have to" situation.

I think that's my friend's philosophy, but I'm still not wild about it.

-EDIT-

I used to think that way for bicycles too. Until one day way back in middle school I had a bad crash. I was an idiot and was carrying my tennis racket in a small duffle bag and decided to hook the strap around my handlebar. Admittedly that was just a stupid-kid thing to do.

By the train tracks the handle went into my front spokes and I guess I did a flip.

I woke up with amnesia... fortunately someone saw me crash and called the cops/ambulance. I didn't know my name or recognize my grandma when she came to the accident site (she lived with us).

I was awake for a while after that but I can only remember after a few hours later after my Xth cat scan or whatever.

So I went from "only when it's on main roads" to "always." And that was before I saw how fsking crazy some of the drivers were on our street.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 14:43.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 13:59 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 13:36:
If you are cycling around the neighborhood I have no grief with riders not wearing helmets. However, if you are getting onto even moderately busy streets I feel it's pretty much a "have to" situation.

I think that's my friend's philosophy, but I'm still not wild about it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 13:46 Creston

It's the Ben Roethlisburger scenario.

"Oh, I don't need a helmet. I know how to ride and I always ride in groups (??)"

And then a car turns in front of him, and his teeth were embedded in the lady's windshield.

Not wearing a helmet and a protective suit is basically asking to be turned into an organ donor.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 13:36 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 12:37 Verno

Better yet, drive a car in the city. Motorcycles are fine for long interstate drives on open roads where people tend to drive with more gaps in traffic, allowing for more response time to avoid accidents. You should never have one in the city though. It doesn't matter how many precautions you take either, you're in a small vehicle without much protection getting hit by a far larger vehicle - it isn't going to end well.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law Jul 5, 2011, 12:30 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 12:10:
Sadly, I've seen the same thing. I've heard the attitude of "I know how to ride, I don't need a helmet", when in reality the problem half the time isn't the bike rider, but the cars that simply don't look or see them. And yeah, there's also some crazy cyclists who just seem determined to kill themselves out there.

Yeh, the person I know still has various issues even a couple of years later. And that's WITH a helmet.

Meanwhile the accident was caused by some jerk delivery-truck driver that wasn't paying attention and decided to pull a quick U-Turn on a busy 4-lane street without looking or even stopping.

It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are or think you are, whether you're driving a car, motorcycle, or bicycle. You have to assume there's some other vehicle out there with you in their bullseye and you need to plan accordingly. Wear a helmet or seat belt and try to be as observant as possible.

-Fry, Futurama

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo