Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's list of the ten bestselling games on Steam for the week:

1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition
  2. Portal 2
  3. Valve Complete Pack
  4. Borderlands: Game of the Year
  5. The Elder Scrolls IV: OblivionŽ Game of the Year Edition Deluxe
  6. Terraria
  7. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Pack
  8. Might & Magic Heroes VI
  9. THQ Hit Collection
  10. Fable III

View
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

88. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2011, 00:31 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 18:32:
It says they've added two levels since it launched.

Hmmm, 5 levels ain't that bad for 3 bucks. Okay.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

87. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 20:12 Dev

Sanctum is fun, thumbs up from me, I paid more than that for it.  

86. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 18:32 nin

It says they've added two levels since it launched.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

85. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 18:02 Creston

I dunno, my work blocks Twitter.

Creston

84. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 17:00 nin

According to reviews, it only has 3 different levels.

It's only 4 bucks, but still... 3 levels?

And what did the twitter comment say?

83. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 16:51 Creston

According to reviews, it only has 3 different levels.

It's only 4 bucks, but still... 3 levels?

Creston

82. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 16:26 nin

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 16:23:
Oh, that'd be another negative, yeah.

Has anyone here played Sanctum? It looks pretty fun, and it's $3.75. I think I'll pick that up tonight.

Creston

Actually, one of the zeboyd guys was mentioning that one today:

http://twitter.com/#!/werezompire/status/89024934067707905

I may snag it myself.

81. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 16:23 Creston

Oh, that'd be another negative, yeah.

Has anyone here played Sanctum? It looks pretty fun, and it's $3.75. I think I'll pick that up tonight.

Creston

80. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 16:04 nin

I'd jump all over today's Dead Rising 2 for 20 bucks,

Does that use GFMFW? Can't remember...

79. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 16:02 Creston

I'd jump all over today's Dead Rising 2 for 20 bucks, but I've now gotten burned twice by buying a game for 10 bucks only to see it go on sale for 3 bucks two days later (shitty ass sales tactics that, btw.) So I think I'm going to pass.

Creston

78. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 06:03 Dev

Krovven wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 00:48:
Sounds like you might benefit from disabling Steam Guard. Personally I like the security, but if I had to deal with that, I'd disable it. We didn't have it for 5 years...it's not like it's a must have.
You are probably replying to the other guy, but it made me think of something. I wonder if I can disable steam guard, run steam on the laptop, then enable it again and use both computers. Probably would end up defaulting to one computer authorized like before rather than both of them working. And I'm not going to try it during this sale, knowing steam, it would end up wanting me to authenticate my main gaming machine and not be able to send out the access code email for the rest of the week.

77. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2011, 00:48 Krovven

Sounds like you might benefit from disabling Steam Guard. Personally I like the security, but if I had to deal with that, I'd disable it. We didn't have it for 5 years...it's not like it's a must have.

76. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2011, 16:27 Beamer

Error 503 Service Unavailable
Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:
XID: 1194269462
Varnish cache server

Had this earlier. A quick refresh fixed it, fortunately.
I've also had to enter the code about a billion times in the past 3 months, but I've also purchased from several different computers in several different countries (sometimes the same computer in several countries) so that may be a cause. The code took about half an hour to come through once, making me fear I'd miss the 50% off on Frozen Synapse.

It was infuriating to not be able to buy, yet at the same time it may somewhat possibly sort of under the right circumstances prevent someone from logging into my account and buying a few hundred games with it (Steam and Amazon seem to be the only two places I store my CC info.) Of course, the odds of that seem lower than the odds of someone breaking into my Steam account also being able to break into my email...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

75. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2011, 15:57 Dev

I have a steam friend who is having the same purchase problems today as I had earlier..

I think its related to buying gifts and the store server load, since the process lags out when picking continue on the message screen.

74. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 6, 2011, 00:05 Creston

I think adding servers locally benefits them in bandwith costs, to be honest, as the data has to travel across fewer nodes. I don't really know that adding content servers helps the store from being sluggish.

I'll try some other cities if it happens again, see if that fixes the DL issues. Thanks for the tip.

Creston

73. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2011, 19:24 Krovven

Try some other cities even if they arent very close to you.

ie: I live in (a suburb of) Vancouver and had always used Seattle until a year or so ago. I've used servers in Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver and found them to be slow. San Jose was a good one for a long time, even though geographically it's farther away than the other west coast locations.

Most recently Sacremento has been very good for me, during sales/releases and in normal every day use.

When it comes to download speeds, all I can do is suggest getting a big download started, switching the locations (restart Steam after each change) and experiment with it.

In any case, it's definitely an issue. But, like I said, I can see why Valve chooses to ignore it.

I don't see them as ignoring the issue, they add servers fairly regularly. ie: Vancouver is a fairly recent addition, as the only Canadian option used to be Toronto.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 19:39.

72. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2011, 18:50 Dades

What exactly am I going to do?

Stop pissing into the wind maybe. If it was as big a problem as you let on then they will fix it because people get mad and spend money somewhere else, fix it on their own at their own convenience or not fix it at all. You can say whatever you want but Steam has consistently improved over the years so chances are the minor issues will get fixed over time because infrastructure problems take time to fix. That's what they are by the way, minor issues. The service is up and responsive, people are playing their games, buying games and all that crap.

71. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2011, 18:31 Creston

Krovven wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 17:37:
Creston wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:47:
I can barely attain max download speed (which in my case is a staggering 94k/s) and often it will just stop for ten, fifteen minutes at a time.

What region setting? Have you tried changing your region settings? What locations have you tried?

I tried Dallas and... not sure what the other one was. The next closest to me. Might have been Denver? I'm at work, don't have Steam on my work PC.

Dallas always works just fine for me, but whenever there are sales, it slows to a crawl. Maybe Dallas just had a lot of people interested in the same stuff I am?

In any case, it's definitely an issue. But, like I said, I can see why Valve chooses to ignore it.

Creston

70. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2011, 17:46 Dev

Dades wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 17:28:
You have no idea what the problem is. It could be a problem with the web server, it could be Apache wonking under the pressure, it could be a bottleneck in the I/O backend and about a thousand other things. Fixing infrastructure problems takes time, it isn't something you do overnight on production hardware during one of your major yearly events. Given how Steam has scaled up over the years I don't see them not trying to fix it but now isn't the time, of course it will have to be later. Look at Blizzards backend for WoW and they still have problems. You can't plan for everything and some things have to be solved after the fact.

Posting a ticket with Steam Support does tell them something, it tells them you aren't happy about it. When enough people start complaining things get changed a lot faster than when they never hear from anyone. If you're so chatty with Valve employees you should already be aware of this.
And you know what? ALL of those problems can be solved with money, either by hiring employees to fix it, or paying overtime to employees in place, or buying more servers. None of which changes my point. My point doesn't really rely on knowing the exact underlying cause. And as an enduser and customer, it doesn't matter the cause, what matters is its causing issues for me. In fact you just confirmed my point, I agree its not something that one should do on production during an event. Its something that should be done BEFORE.

You mention things get done if enough people complain, that hasn't really proven to be the case in the years past. Like I said, issues like this happen with steam EVERY big sale or release. There's plenty of forum posts and support tickets about this stuff already. They know.

Like creston talks about, its obvious valve has decided some pains around these events and the amount of customers it pisses off is worth not paying to avoid them.

Dades wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 17:09:
You keep using Steam despite having supposedly many issues with it. Why should they change anything? You act like this stuff is a big deal but you don't do anything about it.
What exactly am I going to do? Boycott them? What difference would that make? And I already have about 500 games with them, how exactly am I going to play those? I don't think valve is going to transfer them to another service for me.

Just because I have issues, doesn't mean the only things I can do are a) stfu or b) boycott.

69. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 5, 2011, 17:37 Krovven

Creston wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:47:
I can barely attain max download speed (which in my case is a staggering 94k/s) and often it will just stop for ten, fifteen minutes at a time.

What region setting? Have you tried changing your region settings? What locations have you tried?

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo