Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, yesterday was our first grilling mishap of the season, though I am not to blame, so my record remains so far unblemished. The chicken thigh fillets I was going to cook turned out to be startlingly rancid. These were actually vacuum sealed in plastic, which seems like it would help prevent such a mishap, but when I cut open the package it immediately filled the kitchen with the most horrifying odor. I didn't actually think you could generate that much stench from a one pound package of chicken meat, but it was a pretty close call that we were able to dispose of this without anyone actually upchucking.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Top Defense.
Stories: Man Cited For 'Flipping The Bird' At Another Driver. Ruh roh. Thanks Devicer.
Science: These Aerodynamic Umbrellas Won't Fly Away. Thanks [H]ard-OCP.
Media: Transformers 3 = The Island?
"Man vs. Katamari".
iPhone Dropped In Toilet - while taking video. Thanks Videosift.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2011, 16:16 eRe4s3r

Is likely you got sold spoiled re-classed meat. Its a huge (illegal!) market to simply switch the labels to make spoiled way-past-due-date meat fine "fresh" meat again..

Would be interesting to know where you bought it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2011, 12:34 Hump

something about deboning thigh meat makes it turn quickly. I've noticed this the couple of times I've purchased boneless thighs. Best bet is to just debone them yourself. Its kind of tricky due to the fact there are several muscle groups on the bone but keep your blade sharp (and small) and its a snap.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 23:19 Lorcin

ldonyo wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 22:59:
Too bad this wasn't caught before they were packaged. Had a human been present, the stench would most definitely been noticed at that time!

Not strictly true - if you've never worked in a factory let me clarify their are some naturally pungent characters at work in the place anyway. Mistaken rancid chicken for your co-worker is probably a common problem.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 22:59 ldonyo

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 12:59:
The chicken thigh fillets I was going to cook turned out to be startlingly rancid.

Ugh! Least you caught it before you ate them...

Too bad this wasn't caught before they were packaged. Had a human been present, the stench would most definitely been noticed at that time!

9. make it so Jul 3, 2011, 20:18 space captain

there are certain kinds of licenses you just dont get from the DMV  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 19:15 Hoop

I'm most dreadfully embarrassed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIg2nK67LQ

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Man Cited For 'Flipping The Bird' At Another Driver Jul 3, 2011, 18:42 Lorcin

Don't worry blue - I totally failed to get my BBQ alight properly the other day. I'm even considering switching to gas. I wouldn't mind but I'd spent 6 hours making burgers, prepping ribs, marinading chicken etc etc.

You know damn well if I'd just bought a frozen meat pack from the supermarket it would have cooked to perfection.

6. Re: Man Cited For 'Flipping The Bird' At Another Driver Jul 3, 2011, 17:58 jimnms

Most say this is not an issue of first amendment rights, but more about safety.
I would go with that if he was driving and did it, but he was sitting still at a red light FFS. I hope he wins.

Steam Profile

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 17:03 IAM->TheDoctor

Doesn't count as a grilling mishap. Was still in the house so it's a "food prep" mishap. Goes right along with missing steaks and smiling dogs.

Or in the case I last remember:
"Missing 5 pounds of lasagna and one smiling yellow Lab"

Poor thing was in agony.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2011, 17:09.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 16:18 Ant

..!..  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

3. derp derp derp Jul 3, 2011, 13:42 space captain

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  
Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Man Cited For 'Flipping The Bird' At Another Driver Jul 3, 2011, 13:39 Genesys

The ordinance cited for the ticket reads, no person shall "...extend any part of his body outside of the vehicle expect the hand and arm for signaling purposes only."

"I signaled, so I think I'm in compliance," said Pogue.

rofl

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2011, 12:59 nin

The chicken thigh fillets I was going to cook turned out to be startlingly rancid.

Ugh! Least you caught it before you ate them...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo