Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen

The June video developer diary on the Firefall Website offers the news that acclaimed sci-fi writer Orson Scott Card is contributing to this online team-based shooter, with Gamasutra highlighting his reasoning: "I got involved with the game Firefall because the guys from Red 5 invited me to," though he adds with a little more enthusiasm: "Since I think the game is a great one -- the story that they're developing is exciting -- I was delighted to be a part of it." Word is Card will collaborate with Red 5 on the game's story, and will also team with his daughter Emily Janice Card and artists at Udon Entertainment on a Firefall manga novel, which will be released as a free download later this year. On a related note, Gamasutra also reports Red 5 Studios is seeking to terminate its agreement with publisher Webzen over a breach in its marketing obligations. In an open letter, Red 5 CEO Mark Kern states:

As you may have heard, Red 5 Studios has filed for arbitration to confirm our right to terminate our agreement with Webzen and recover $5 million in North American marketing that we feel is due Red 5 under the agreement.

The crux of the matter is that the Webzen we see today is not the Webzen that Red 5 partnered with at the beginning of this project. The original executives are all gone, and new management has replaced them. Unfortunately, we do not feel the new management of Webzen has honored their obligations towards Firefall, particularly in Asia. The current management of Webzen is a stark contrast to the original CEO and executives who were once so excited to work with us on the game.

View
7. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 04:43 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 01:50:
Umm, how does securing a great sci fi novelist to help out with the story (no mention of payment yet that I could see) effect the focus, or lack thereof, on gameplay?
Simple. Money spend on this writer is not available for other parts of the production. Which is crucial, if your budget isn't THAT high.

Look at Advent Rising: Has a mildly interesting story from Orson Scott Card, but the gameplay and the overall technical quality was, well, less impressive. Advent Rising is a little stinker.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jul 2, 21:39 Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen [VG]Reagle
  3. Jul 2, 22:34  Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen killer_roach
  4. Jul 3, 00:48   Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jerykk
  5. Jul 3, 01:35    Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen PHJF
  6. Jul 3, 01:50  Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Asmo
>> 7. Jul 3, 04:43   Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Kajetan
  2. Jul 2, 22:10 Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen space captain
  8. Jul 3, 11:03 Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Kevin Lowe
  10. Jul 3, 12:07  Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen nin
  11. Jul 3, 12:19   Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen mag
  12. Jul 4, 09:06    Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen InBlack
  13. Jul 4, 19:37     Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Stormsinger
  9. Jul 3, 11:16 ACHTUNG! space captain

footer

Blue's News logo