Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen

The June video developer diary on the Firefall Website offers the news that acclaimed sci-fi writer Orson Scott Card is contributing to this online team-based shooter, with Gamasutra highlighting his reasoning: "I got involved with the game Firefall because the guys from Red 5 invited me to," though he adds with a little more enthusiasm: "Since I think the game is a great one -- the story that they're developing is exciting -- I was delighted to be a part of it." Word is Card will collaborate with Red 5 on the game's story, and will also team with his daughter Emily Janice Card and artists at Udon Entertainment on a Firefall manga novel, which will be released as a free download later this year. On a related note, Gamasutra also reports Red 5 Studios is seeking to terminate its agreement with publisher Webzen over a breach in its marketing obligations. In an open letter, Red 5 CEO Mark Kern states:

As you may have heard, Red 5 Studios has filed for arbitration to confirm our right to terminate our agreement with Webzen and recover $5 million in North American marketing that we feel is due Red 5 under the agreement.

The crux of the matter is that the Webzen we see today is not the Webzen that Red 5 partnered with at the beginning of this project. The original executives are all gone, and new management has replaced them. Unfortunately, we do not feel the new management of Webzen has honored their obligations towards Firefall, particularly in Asia. The current management of Webzen is a stark contrast to the original CEO and executives who were once so excited to work with us on the game.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 4, 2011, 19:37 Stormsinger

InBlack wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 09:06:
Common its not like he's another Hubbard is he? Poligamy FTW!

No, he's not like Hubbard. Card is an extremely talented writer...pretty much the exact opposite of Hubbard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 4, 2011, 09:06 InBlack

Common its not like he's another Hubbard is he? Poligamy FTW!  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 12:19 mag

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 12:07:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 11:03:
Ugh. I was interested in this, but I'd feel disgusted knowing any of my money went to Card. He's entitled to his opinions, but I vehemently disagree with them.

I've not read any of his stuff, but his work on that Chair game for xbox live (Shadow Complex) wasn't anything spectacular.

Ender's Game is a classic work of science fiction. Some of his other stuff is less good, and some of it is pretty good. I'm sure Lowe was referring to his political (anti-gay, anti-environment Democrat) and religious (Mormon) views.

10. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 12:07 nin

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 11:03:
Ugh. I was interested in this, but I'd feel disgusted knowing any of my money went to Card. He's entitled to his opinions, but I vehemently disagree with them.

I've not read any of his stuff, but his work on that Chair game for xbox live (Shadow Complex) wasn't anything spectacular.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. ACHTUNG! Jul 3, 2011, 11:16 space captain

pay attention and you might learn something  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 11:03 Kevin Lowe

7. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 04:43 Kajetan

Asmo wrote on Jul 3, 2011, 01:50:
Umm, how does securing a great sci fi novelist to help out with the story (no mention of payment yet that I could see) effect the focus, or lack thereof, on gameplay?
Simple. Money spend on this writer is not available for other parts of the production. Which is crucial, if your budget isn't THAT high.

Look at Advent Rising: Has a mildly interesting story from Orson Scott Card, but the gameplay and the overall technical quality was, well, less impressive. Advent Rising is a little stinker.

6. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 01:50 Asmo

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 21:39:
Ya spend you money on crap like this = no focus on gameplay = crap game

Umm, how does securing a great sci fi novelist to help out with the story (no mention of payment yet that I could see) effect the focus, or lack thereof, on gameplay?

I wonder if you could supply exact figures of staff pulled off working on things like modelling, code, graphics etc to be put in to the 'critiquing Mr. OSC's contributions' dept? You know, since you seem to know everything about everything... Rolleyes

5. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 01:35 PHJF

It's going to turn out at the end of the game game that you weren't actually killing bots but REAL PEOPLE. It wasn't just a game!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 3, 2011, 00:48 Jerykk

Firefall looks a lot more interesting than all the CS/CoD-ripoff F2P shooters.  

3. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 2, 2011, 22:34 killer_roach

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 21:39:

A crap game with a good story is still a crap game.

Hopefully Mr. Card managed to reserve book rights for the story... I may find reading his story much more interesting than playing another throw-away online shooter.

2. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 2, 2011, 22:10 space captain

thanks for the tip  
Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 2, 2011, 21:39 [VG]Reagle

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo