Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging

The Games For Windows Website has the surprise announcement that Microsoft is merging the Games for Windows Marketplace with Xbox.com. Here's what they are revealing for the moment:

Games for Windows Marketplace is coming to Xbox.com!

Games for Windows Marketplace will fully transition over to Xbox.com. Now you can get all of your gaming needs in one place. Itís convenient, itís concentrated, and itís a whole lot of great games.

Discuss the move here!

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 4, 2011, 09:13 Verno

It's all very puzzling when you consider they are continually eroding at the reasons to use Windows and with Windows comes Office. They didn't even have a competent web based office product released until a few weeks ago. I think Microsoft is forgetting who is really paying the bills at that company, it isn't the Xbox. If Apple ever releases a price competitive laptop then they're in serious trouble, Macs have already started making inroads in the mobile department over Blackberry and any pathetic Windows mobile efforts.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 3, 2011, 23:13 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 16:20:
Rockn-Roll wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 15:53:
Now more than ever game companies should realize that GFWL is going to die at some point and not be supported which means their games will stop working and their customers will be very angry.

Scene: A developer's office, somewhere.

Developer A: Should we really put GfWL into our game? I mean, Steamworks really is kinda better, and people HATE GfWL.

Developer B: Yeah, but, you know... money.

Developer A: But GfWL might soon be dying. If our game depends on GfWL support, then it won't run, at least not without all those evil pirate hacks those fucking customers of ours use! Then they'll all get angry at us!

Developer B: *points at big pile of money.*

Developer A: Oh yeah. Money. Make sure Marketing puts GfWL prominently on the box.

Creston

While that's certainly a plausible scenario, I have to wonder if MS would even bother bribing PC developers to use GfWL at this point. MS clearly doesn't give a crap about PC gaming and would prefer that everyone be playing on Xbox instead. As such, if they were going to bribe someone, wouldn't it make more sense to bribe them into making an Xbox-exclusive game?

46. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 3, 2011, 07:08 Fantaz

Long Live GameSpy!  

45. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 09:49 CythrawL

As for the comments about Steam...if any of you were around at the time...then you would remember the services which rose and fell in an attempt to provide multiplayer connectivity. Some of the major services were Kali, Gamespy, mPlayer, Total Entertainment Network (TEN), HEAT, and World Opponent Network (WON). <Snip> But, of those services there is only one of them that I am now sure will always be there for us...Steam...made by gamers for gamers.

Gamespy was also originally made by gamers for gamers. Again your 30 years is failing you. Gamespy started out as QSpy for Quake and then became Quakespy and was bundled with Quakeworld. Then it was bought out after Hexen 2 when it was renamed Gamespy.. Since then its been shit..

44. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 09:34 WaltC

I think just 2 of the 50 modern games I own support my native Windows 5040x1050x32 resolution on the Matrox Digital TH2Go with three widescreen monitors. All the rest are like 3840x1024 or some such and most of them had to be patched for that resolution or was just being faked by zooming the output and cutting off the top and bottom of the output which causes the very unpleasant tunnel vision.

It's fairly obvious that your "nearly 30 years" of experience hasn't served to keep you in touch with the state of 3d gaming in the marketplace (and I don't mean "3d" with the funny glasses--I'm referring to the use of polygons and textures on an x, y and simulated z axis.)

Years ago, and I do mean "years," Matrox was the only game in town for a very nice 2d display. But when 3d came along, especially 3dfx's brand of 3d, Matrox began a decline it has yet to recover from. Let's be honest--Matrox is for all intents and purposes *gone* from the 3d graphics stage today. If you want the best in triple-screen (or even 6-screen) 3d-gaming support then you've no choice but to go EyeFinity from AMD (formerly ATi.) Not only does it blow Matrox TH2Go away in every respect, it also functions at resolutions even higher than 5040x1050. Lots of current games support EyeFinity, and will run at such resolutions at a decent frame-rate while delivering all of the 3d functionality that Matrox completely fails to support. Here's a FAQ to get you started:

EyeFinity

As for the comments about Steam...if any of you were around at the time...then you would remember the services which rose and fell in an attempt to provide multiplayer connectivity.

Steam's major claim to fame has always been in the fact that it serves as an online publisher and store--meaning you can buy practically any game you choose direct from Steam and download it immediately--so long as you are attached to a broadband pipe, that is. Otherwise, today's multi-gigabyte games will take you days to download...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

43. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 01:56 nin

Bumpy wrote on Jul 2, 2011, 01:19:
It has come to my attention that MS has no clue what the PC game market wants or needs.

Not sure how further out of touch they can get.

They don't lead, they follow. They look at what others are doing, try to emulate it, and expect the Microsoft name to sell it. It's all incredibly half-assed, and when it doesn't work out, they cut and run (zune, kin, plays for sure, many others).

It's a wonder they somehow got a hit with the 360.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

42. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 01:19 Bumpy

It has come to my attention that MS has no clue what the PC game market wants or needs.

Not sure how further out of touch they can get.

41. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 2, 2011, 00:35 Tanto Edge

No surprise... they were alluding to this earlier this month.. or was it last..  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

40. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 22:34 Dev

ohhh. THIS must be they were talking about when they've said almost once a month recently they were rededicating themselves to PC gaming.  

39. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 22:18 Wookiestick

This is like the parents of a normal 8 year old kid forcing him to play with an unpopular kid to make the awkward kid feel better.  

Love thy wookie.

38. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 19:47 Mashiki Amiketo

I seem to remember that most companies at the time were focused in one area. IPX/SPX networked play, fully ignoring tcp/ip play. Meaning programs like idoom/ifrag(including kali), TEN, along with mplayer allowed a functioning overlay for the internet, and or other methods of net access in the early internet darkages. When windows sway wasn't in full bloom, and competing versions of dos still existed.

These programs also specialized specifically in non-tcp/ip play which was the dominate protocol because TS/WS hadn't built into the marketshare for the most part in the early days, and later MS's TCP/IP handler sucked monkey balls, and most used a ipx/tcp emulation layer for internet communication because ipx was still superior in latency. Most of this didn't really change until windows98 came out and effectively killed off the old overlay system, the crap of win95, and all that. People will still gaming in various dosmodes right up until '98, give or take a bit because of two things. Memory limits, and the way memory was handled by win95.

Well then again, this was back in the day when people knew what telnet was, and wasn't just for connecting to your router/printer/etc device.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 19:41 Dades

So does any content sold on xbox live now need to work on the pc? (and vice versa?)

You can't just run an Xbox game on the PC natively, so no of course it does not mean that. This is about the Games for Windows Marketplace website utterly failing and Microsoft giving up to dump it under the Xbox brand.

36. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 18:15 HorrorScope

Honestly the only thing as big of fail on computers for me that equals GFWL is those damn images you have to enter in the letters to sign up for a forum or the like. You can't even read 75% of them. Then they added voice, at first that was cool, later they but in some background conversation and you can't even understand what they are saying. I mean for the love of God stuff. So what is worse? Those hard to read characters on sign up or GFWL? I dunno.  

35. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 17:46 Ruffiana

I'm really hoping this might one day translate to having to make the painful decision between playing a game on console versus PC moot. I enjoyed playing Mass Effect on the 360. The experience of sitting in my recliner, on the big-screen HDTV, with the sound piped through our home theatre system suited the game's cinematic approach to story very nicely...but it might be nice to play through it again on the PC for the mouse and keyboard controls.

If this means that I could one day buy a game, and then for a nominal cost have it downloadable to the PC as well...that would be awesome.

But there's just no way they'd cater to customers that way.Much like how I'd love to pay a small conversion fee and change my already purchased, boxed copies of PC games into downloadable Steam games.

34. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 16:20 Creston

Now more than ever game companies should realize that GFWL is going to die at some point and not be supported which means their games will stop working and their customers will be very angry.

Scene: A developer's office, somewhere.

Developer A: Should we really put GfWL into our game? I mean, Steamworks really is kinda better, and people HATE GfWL.

Developer B: Yeah, but, you know... money.

Developer A: But GfWL might soon be dying. If our game depends on GfWL support, then it won't run, at least not without all those evil pirate hacks those fucking customers of ours use! Then they'll all get angry at us!

Developer B: *points at big pile of money.*

Developer A: Oh yeah. Money. Make sure Marketing puts GfWL prominently on the box.

Creston

33. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 15:53 Rockn-Roll

LOL @ "suprise"

It's been like that for some time...at least account wise. A GFWL account is the same thing as an XBox.com account. I remember going through a hassle with BioShock 2 and trying to get support for GFWL and being directed to XBox.com forums and it accepted my GFWL account (and of course presented the store page and tried to make it my browser's home page as if purchasing console games was the main priority in my life).

GFWL should never have been approved by gaming companies who wanted to keep their PC game customers. Microsoft must have provided unprescedented incentives for companies to snub Steam and go with a buggy console port. Now more than ever game companies should realize that GFWL is going to die at some point and not be supported which means their games will stop working and their customers will be very angry.

I think any game which uses GFWL from now on is basically saying that they don't care about their PC gamers. I bet most game companies think it would be so much better if we all just bought console systems and stopped using PCs as a gaming platform...at least that's what it looks like to me. An example of this message is that game companies are now developing for console systems then porting the code to the PC. In otherwords the largest development effort is made to make the game work good on consoles...then hacked to work on the PC.

In my expert opinion, with nearly 30 years of software development, this is backwards from how the game design should be approached. PC systems are not locked into specific hardware or software platforms which means that the application designs need to be engineered to be more general in their application...including the narrow requirements of console systems. Once the general design has been written and working then the code doesn't need to be changed at all to support console systems because the design already allowed for it.

When games are developed first for the narrow requirements of consoles then ported to the PC then some of the PC features are buggy or won't work at all...the most obvious is the graphics output or more specifically the selection of resolutions supported. It is rare to find a game that actually supports native multi-monitor widescreen internally. I think just 2 of the 50 modern games I own support my native Windows 5040x1050x32 resolution on the Matrox Digital TH2Go with three widescreen monitors. All the rest are like 3840x1024 or some such and most of them had to be patched for that resolution or was just being faked by zooming the output and cutting off the top and bottom of the output which causes the very unpleasant tunnel vision.

As for the comments about Steam...if any of you were around at the time...then you would remember the services which rose and fell in an attempt to provide multiplayer connectivity. Some of the major services were Kali, Gamespy, mPlayer, Total Entertainment Network (TEN), HEAT, and World Opponent Network (WON). Almost all game companies at that time had to build their own connectivity for their multiplayer games...these services were linking with the games through commandline parameters, scripts, or just plain hacks. Steam was just another service, but with some very big differences...it was free! And, Steam provided game developers with an Application Programmer Interface (API) so that they could cleanly use the system. Nobody was complaining at all when Steam was first available...just the opposite...we were all burned by the thousands of dollars we poured into those other services just for them to fail later. Nobody really knew if Steam would stay alive (especially since it was free), but at least it was risk free. Some games continued to provide built-in connectivity...for example idsoftare games...while others went with gamespy arcade or GFWL. But, of those services there is only one of them that I am now sure will always be there for us...Steam...made by gamers for gamers.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2011, 16:24.

Let's Rock!

32. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 15:24 Cutter

DangerDog wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 14:57:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:40:
What does this mean for content on Xbox Live vs Games for Windows? They all under on umbrella now? So does any content sold on xbox live now need to work on the pc? (and vice versa?)

Can someone buy a pc game on the xbox now? Or does this mean the website interface is just at a new address and everything content wise is as before?

It just means that while in the past Microsoft tried to be more subtle in telling PC gamers to switch to the Xbox, now they're just going to be ramming it down your throat like a stiff hard cock.

Really? Because I'd be more inclined to say they're taking that engorged member and ramming it up your shaft sans lube. And we went from "We're re-commiting to PC games" to this in what? A mere six months or so? Well, I suppose it's not much longer before the Xbox is all they're good for.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 14:57 DangerDog

Tumbler wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:40:
What does this mean for content on Xbox Live vs Games for Windows? They all under on umbrella now? So does any content sold on xbox live now need to work on the pc? (and vice versa?)

Can someone buy a pc game on the xbox now? Or does this mean the website interface is just at a new address and everything content wise is as before?

It just means that while in the past Microsoft tried to be more subtle in telling PC gamers to switch to the Xbox, now they're just going to be ramming it down your throat like a stiff hard cock.

30. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 14:53 Parallax Abstraction

Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:59:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 13:10:
Prez wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 12:10:
So can I buy Halo 3 for PC now?

Why would you want to though?

Call me crazy ("YOU ARE CRAZY!"), but I actually want to play Halo 3 because I like the series.

Yes, you are indeed totally crazy.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

29. Re: GFW and Xbox.com Marketplaces Merging Jul 1, 2011, 14:47 necrosis

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 14:12:
Discuss the move here!

I love the fact that only 13 people have cared enough to post there.
Or more people have with colorful replies and MS didn't like them so they were deleted.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo