Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes

There's a preview of Mass Effect 3 on Wired.com that includes comments about the RPG sequel made by Jesse Houston during E3, who describes some recent mistakes from which they are learning this time around. He speaks of returning some of the customization options from the first Mass Effect that were cut from Mass Effect 2, but making them more intuitive, as well of better balancing the game's shooter and RPG elements. He also says they are looking at some of the shortcomings of Dragon Age II when it comes to storytelling. "We learned a lot about the way story flow should work [from Dragon Age 2]," Houston said. "I dont want to go into too many details, but ultimately, weve listened to the fans in a big way: Were taking it very, very seriously and were committed to making sure we dont repeat mistakes." Thanks nin.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 13:43 Slashman

Lorcin wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 11:46:
I liked ME2 - as a shooter with a bit of a story. Wouldn't really say it was an RPG but I did enjoy it.

Except the stupid planet scanning bit - couldn't be bothered with that. But hey that's what trainers are made for.

That's mostly my take on ME2. I actually think that the direction they took with ME2 fits better with the type of game and story it tells. I didn't think they needed to be quite so heavy handed in removing the customization options for skills, companions and weapons, but it worked much better as a 3rd person shooter with light RPG elements.

Planet scanning wasn't the most fun thing in the world, but I think a lot of people are exaggerating how bad it was. You also didn't need to do half as much of it on your successive playthroughs. It also lead to a lot of the side missions in the game so it served a purpose.

Bioware's major mistake has been in thinking that they can apply the same treatment to any of their game franchises and make it work like it did for ME2. Attempting that with DA2 was abysmally stupid. No one expected it or wanted it.

I think most of the console crowd was simply upset with the control scheme and perceived difficulty of combat in the first game. They took that to mean that Dragon Effect 2 was the way to go and it obviously didn't pay off.

I hope they learn from their mistakes...and I'll be suspending my purchase of ME3 until such time as I'm satisfied that they have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 11:46 Lorcin

I liked ME2 - as a shooter with a bit of a story. Wouldn't really say it was an RPG but I did enjoy it.

Except the stupid planet scanning bit - couldn't be bothered with that. But hey that's what trainers are made for.

14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 11:13 Dades

At least someone at Bioware is listening. Whether that translates into a better game or not remains to be seen.  

13. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 necrosis

finga wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 02:25:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 00:39:
Does this mean they are getting rid of the retarded morality system?
I thought BioWare has done a great job in taking Paragon/Renegade away from that direction. Although, I do think ME2 made a mistake in requiring you to go almost all Paragon or all Renegade in order to keep your crew alive in ME2, though.
Depends on what you did. You only needed to go full in one direction or the other if you "screwed up" earlier interactions with your crew. Specifically the loyalty missions. IF you were full P or R you got a 'get out of jail free' card to force save them.

Firs play through I saved everyone and was far from full Paragon or Renegade.

12. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 05:36 ShakaUVM

Grokk wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 21:26:
ME3 has so many possibilities, though at this point I'm going to wait until I see some reviews before purchasing this time around.

I blindly bought ME2 and DA2 on the assumption that bioware knew what they were doing. Shame on me.
Yeah. They were both terrible sequels.

Both dumbed down perfectly good games. Sure, there should have been a little better inventory management in ME1, but removing all itemization entirely was just ridiculous.

Keeping the entire story of DA2 within the confines of one city, and reusing every map 1 billion times pissed off nearly every player of the game. I still liked it better than ME2, though, which was pretty and well-written, but a terrible RPG.

11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 03:51 Jerykk

The Overlord DLC for ME2 was okay in terms of moral ambiguity. Everything else was clearly black and white, though. The influence system was pretty pointless too. As long as you're extreme paragon or extreme renegade, your allies will be happy.  

10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jul 1, 2011, 03:22 wonkawonka

Regarding paragon/renegade, I'd just prefer some kind of "influence" parameter for the world at large, and for companions in particular (like the DA2 stuff).
Mixing both is confusing.

As for DA2, I've played it 3 times (rogue/warrior/mage) and by the second time I was playing it as a 3rd person shooter which is almost decent if you forget the inane locations, stupid story and ridiculous in-battle spawns.

9. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 02:25 finga

I thought BioWare has done a great job in taking Paragon/Renegade away from that direction. Although, I do think ME2 made a mistake in requiring you to go almost all Paragon or all Renegade in order to keep your crew alive in ME2, though.

8. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 02:08 Slashman

I actually didn't have too many issues with ME2. Dragon Age 2, on the other hand, is a whole other issue.  

7. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 01:25 Sepharo

Yeah right, that's their bread and butter.

6. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jul 1, 2011, 00:39 Jerykk

5. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jun 30, 2011, 22:05 Creston

space captain wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 21:58:
"I dont want to go into too many details, but ultimately, weve listened to the fans in a big way: Were taking it very, very seriously and were committed to making sure we dont repeat mistakes."

translation:

"you will give us your money no matter what, so here's some bullshit lip service to assuage your deepest inner fears... even though we both know they will come to pass anyways."

It's possible, though Casey Hudson is a far cry from the toolbag that produced, and then bragged about, Dragon Age 2. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

The fact they already delayed the game by a good four months was a good sign.

Creston

4. Re: yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jun 30, 2011, 22:02 Zardoz5

space captain wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 21:58:
"I dont want to go into too many details, but ultimately, weve listened to the fans in a big way: Were taking it very, very seriously and were committed to making sure we dont repeat mistakes."

translation:

"you will give us your money no matter what, so here's some bullshit lip service to assuage your deepest inner fears... even though we both know they will come to pass anyways."
Ha ha yeah. I'll believe what they say when I see it. And please god make them get rid of planet scanning, one of the most tedious and time filler things I've ever done in a game. Driving the Mako around was 10X better than that garbage.

3. yeh, you can totally talk your way out of death Jun 30, 2011, 21:58 space captain

translation:

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jun 30, 2011, 21:26 Grokk

ME3 has so many possibilities, though at this point I'm going to wait until I see some reviews before purchasing this time around.

I blindly bought ME2 and DA2 on the assumption that bioware knew what they were doing. Shame on me.

1. Re: Mass Effect 3 Learning From ME2 and DA2 Mistakes Jun 30, 2011, 21:16 Pete

Better be more than 3 rooms and more than 1 dungeon, sorry space dungeon...

please dont suck Worried

Doin' it Big

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo