Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hellgate Beta Opens

The promised open beta testing of Hellgate is now underway, offering players the chance to evaluate the free-to-play MMORPG based on Hellgate: London, the failed action/RPG from defunct developer Flagship Studios. Here's word on testing:

Hellgate will celebrate the Open Beta launch with four special events to reward and entertain the growing Hellgate community - the Guild Reservoir event, the Daily Supplies event, the To Level in Hell event and the Level and Be Rewarded event, each awarding top players with valuable prizes. Additionally, the Open Beta will feature two new game modes – the PvP Duel Area and the zombie-infested Cow Room. Finally, there is a special prize waiting for everyone upon entering the Hellgate Open Beta today.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jul 2, 2011, 14:27 Krovven

I'll be passing on this, again. It won't let me rebind Right-Mouse to Move Forward. Deal breaker.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jul 1, 2011, 14:08 Ant

So, this game is basically the same? I played it for free with its beta or something several years ago.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

15. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 23:57 mlw

The first two acts are basically an unlimited trial. The cost to open up the remaining acts 3-5, stonehenge, 2nd attack and Abyss is only one ticket ie $4. Although minimum coin purchase is $5.

So that is $4 for the entire original Hellgate London game and more. I think that is a great deal. Of course, there is a cash shop for extra goodies.

This information from forums GM FAQ about the ticket system today.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2011, 00:28.

14. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 23:28 Longswd

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 13:05:
Hellgate done correctly could be a good game.

Certainly could have been, I'm not sure why they (Failship Studios and now this Dev) keep trying to shoe-horn this into an MMO.

HG:L should be a simple SP/COOP game and you pay for expansion(s) just like Diablo 2 and the other ARPG's have done. If they would have not worried about putting in an MMO $$$ layer and concentrated on game play this could have been a Diablo killer. This "MMO" offers nothing more then what you can get with Diablo 2 and Battle.net.

From what I have read, this "new" HG:L isn't really much different from what Failship produced, so not much interest from me.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how this an MMO as opposed to, well pretty much every other multiplayer/coop out there. There is no common world (unless partied/same instance), just tiny little shared town spaces.

MMORPG.com is apparently hellbent on including it in coverage, despite never being able to answer (and I have tried many times to get one) the question of why they are covering it as it isn't an MMO by any reasonable definition.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

13. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 21:06 Sempai

I LOVE YOU BILL ROPER!

/hugs n kisses

12. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 15:31 JohnBirshire

Cabezone wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 12:13:
This game should not be referenced as free to play. You have to pay to play past the first act.

Free to play has been a gimmick since day one, "The future of MMO's" my ass, anybody naive enough to believe that should buy some swampland I'm selling in Alaska.

11. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 15:28 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 12:15:
(apologies to Roper fans; I just detest that guy).

Uhhh... that would be fan (singular)... and that is himself.

I guess if you count his ego, that would be more sort of "more than one".

10. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 14:34 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jun 30, 2011, 12:15:
Hellgate done correctly could be a good game. I'm not expecting much from the F2P version, but it has to be better now that Bill 'idiot-boy' Roper is nowhere to be seen (apologies to Roper fans; I just detest that guy).

What Roper fans? It's like apologizing to Bobby Nodick fans.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 13:05 Undocumented Alien

Hellgate done correctly could be a good game.

Certainly could have been, I'm not sure why they (Failship Studios and now this Dev) keep trying to shoe-horn this into an MMO.

HG:L should be a simple SP/COOP game and you pay for expansion(s) just like Diablo 2 and the other ARPG's have done. If they would have not worried about putting in an MMO $$$ layer and concentrated on game play this could have been a Diablo killer. This "MMO" offers nothing more then what you can get with Diablo 2 and Battle.net.

From what I have read, this "new" HG:L isn't really much different from what Failship produced, so not much interest from me.

8. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 12:19 Illumin

So its Free to play, AND in beta and you have to Pay? oh hell no.  

7. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 12:15 Prez

Hellgate done correctly could be a good game. I'm not expecting much from the F2P version, but it has to be better now that Bill 'idiot-boy' Roper is nowhere to be seen (apologies to Roper fans; I just detest that guy).  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 12:13 Cabezone

This game should not be referenced as free to play. You have to pay to play past the first act.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

5. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:53 Verno

I found a floating island in Terraria last night. It had a gold bricked house with a treasure chest inside. The chest contained a bunch of stuff and an item that makes me no longer take falling damage. I flew off that island like a kid who was warned not to take his bike down that steep hill near his house. I love Terraria.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

4. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:50 PHJF

I've averaged ten hours per day since I bought Terraria four days ago.

If they made a game like Hellgate and did it right I'd probably play the shit out of it. Not "lifetime subscriber" play the shit out of it, but still play the shit out of it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:14 Mr. Tact

Aye, from zero there is nowhere to go but up!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:13 Kalthorn

It has to be, right?  

1. Re: Hellgate Beta Opens Jun 30, 2011, 11:05 Creston

"growing" Hellgate community? Really?

Creston

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer