Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 30, 2011, 08:50 Verno

I see more interest in 3D from gamers but it's still not a big market. Sony really put a lot of money into it and it doesn't make a lot of sense unfortunately. Maybe in 5 years when we get some better version of passive 3D but right now there are so many barriers of entry that the consumer is all but prevented from even trying to get into it.  

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 22:42 Sugarman

I didn't read any of the comments, but for me, I'd have to say no to 3D games, I've been blind in one eye since birth so the whole 3D glasses thing doesn't work for me.  

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 21:47 Jivaro

DedEye wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 20:15:
I still recall Daggerfall at launch.....what a mess.

so true..and yet that game was soooo fun.

31. Re: Do I want 3D? Jun 29, 2011, 20:42 Jensen

If we're talking true 3D holograms that you can see "around" and such, then that would be cool for some select situations.

You can have something very similar to "true 3D holograms" for games. Just combine head tracking and stereoscopy. You can even do it glasses free.
Check out http://youtu.be/OOy-Dnr3xyU to see an example with 3D videoconferencing.

There is a simple reason 3D is more common in movies than console games: cost.
For consoles, the cost is GPU power. The xbox can't even handle 720P at 60fps for most games, and stereoscopy requires twice the fill rate.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 20:59.

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 20:15 DedEye

Even when I had stereoscopic vision (circa Jaws 3D) it was underwhelming. I no longer have stereoscopic vision, so I don't really care about it. My understanding from the experiences related to me by friends and family is that this latest fad is no different; same 70-80 year old optical tricks.

Holography would be exciting!

I love Bethesda RPGs, but admit they would be much less appealing without the mods and I like most sandbox games.

I still recall Daggerfall at launch.....what a mess.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 20:01 Dades

It's not worth it on either platform if the only option is to only pay full price.

Hunh, I don't see whats so hard to get. Many games are worth full price and other people like owning games they enjoy. People aren't just running out to the store because someone has a gun to their head, forced to purchase these awful videogames at full price without any informed consent, demos or reviews.

Onlive is making more options available but games like Duke are a perfect example. People who paid $60 for that on pc got screwed.

People who bought Duke Nukem Forever knew exactly what they were getting or didn't care. Anyone who paid money for that at all got screwed.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 20:08.

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 19:51 Tumbler

Hunh, not sure what is so hard about all this.

I buy a bunch of games for full price and I get tons more for $5 a pop thanx to other gamers wanting to trade.

On the PC I'd have to buy all my games at full price. It's not worth it on either platform if the only option is to only pay full price. Onlive is making more options available but games like Duke are a perfect example. People who paid $60 for that on pc got screwed. People who paid for that on consoles are trading it and hopefully will be getting another game at a much better price.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 18:38 Dades

Regardless, I don't see the point of asshat Dades ripping into him for wanting to save some money on a game he is unsure of. But hey Dades is a douche, we all know that.

You shouldn't put me up on a pedestal like that, I'm blushing. Ripping into him would be more difficult if he didn't write something pointlessly inflammatory in the first place.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 18:25 yuastnav

Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 16:43:
Krovven wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 15:51:
He is comparing his Gamefly subscription cost (to play 360/PS3) to that of purchasing the game.

No, he's just trolling. It's overpriced everywhere compared to a rental service, including the consoles. A rental service doesn't give you all aspects of ownership either so it's a dumb comparison. You can also just buy a retail copy on the PC and sell that on Ebay when you're done, Skyrim isn't digital exclusive or something and Bethesda is really good about DRM or lack thereof.

Quiet you! Don't try to undermine his argument with logic and reason! It has no place here! If he says that a game, that costs less on the PC than on consoles, is overpriced then it is so!!11!

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 18:01 Verno

Fair enough but no one is saying he can't have an opinion, just that it was bull. He can make whatever silly comparisons he wants but that's not going to stop people from debunking them, particularly when he starts playing platform warrior. I don't like being forced to pay for every bit of extra content for example, I like getting a lot of DLC free on the PC but I don't go around calling the console games a shitty deal despite a higher price and no free content.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 18:06.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 17:47 Krovven

Actually I was the one that started the PC talk, by jokingly changing his sentence in the quote.

He again changed it to talking about the PC version being overpriced. To which my point, based on what he has posted, he is comparing the price of renting the console version(s) vs. paying the full price to buy the PC version. Has he done this in other threads...fine whatever. Is he "trolling" by intentionally making himself unclear as to what he is saying...maybe. Or maybe he is just being the normal Tumbler...and isn't expressing himself very well.

Tumbler sees value in renting a console version for $5 vs. buying a PC version for $60. I get it.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 17:21 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 17:00:
No, that's exactly what he is doing...and sorry Goozex, not Gamefly.

No, again he is just trolling. He does this in nearly every topic lately. He literally posted "the PC version is overpriced" based on false assumptions that ignore the PC equivalents of most things he claims to care about. He could have said "I would rather rent it than buy it" but he didn't, he specifically marked the PC SKU for trolling.

Either way, I won't pay $50 for Skyrim either. Bethesda has time and time again proven to me that they make great games on paper...but always execute it horribly. I'm in the minority on this, but I've never enjoyed any of their RPG's.

Which is all fine and opinionated stuff that is debatable but has nothing to do with what he posted.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2011, 17:27.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 17:00 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 16:43:
No, he's just trolling. It's overpriced everywhere compared to a rental service, including the consoles.

No, that's exactly what he is doing...and sorry Goozex, not Gamefly.

Regardless, I don't see the point of asshat Dades ripping into him for wanting to save some money on a game he is unsure of. But hey Dades is a douche, we all know that. If Tumbler doesn't think he'll play it enough to warrant buying it...then the logical solution is renting it, or waiting till it's cheaper. Maybe he rents it, then ends up buying...who gives a fuck?

Either way, I won't pay $50 for Skyrim either. Bethesda has time and time again proven to me that they make great games on paper...but always execute it horribly. I'm in the minority on this, but I've never enjoyed any of their RPG's.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 16:43 Verno

Krovven wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 15:51:
He is comparing his Gamefly subscription cost (to play 360/PS3) to that of purchasing the game.

No, he's just trolling. It's overpriced everywhere compared to a rental service, including the consoles. A rental service doesn't give you all aspects of ownership either so it's a dumb comparison. You can also just buy a retail copy on the PC and sell that on Ebay when you're done, Skyrim isn't digital exclusive or something and Bethesda is really good about DRM or lack thereof.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 16:37 Dades

Tumbler wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 16:03:
More time than is necessary?? So you just won't be playing it all then? Because it's not necessary to ever play the game.

A week maybe, 2 weeks tops. I'm not interested in playing this game long term. Cheapest I can get for 1-2 weeks of play is my best option. $5 seems better for a week or 2 of play than $50, graphics and all.

It must really suck to be such a dollar driven consumer whore. I like to actually play videogames as much or as little as I want. I let the game and how much fun I am having control those things instead of playing penny stock broker with my hobby. You strike me as one of those people who drives around for hours searching for cheaper gas.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 16:13 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:18:
I'm expecting Skyrim to be better overpriced on ps3 PC for the same experience as the consoles. (fixeded)

Because games that sell for 50 bucks on the PC are overpriced compared to the same game for 60 on the console?

Of all the crazy crap you post at times, this is undoubtedly the #1. Congrats.

But hey, at least you got to pimp your goozex site again!

Creston

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 16:03 Tumbler

More time than is necessary?? So you just won't be playing it all then? Because it's not necessary to ever play the game.

A week maybe, 2 weeks tops. I'm not interested in playing this game long term. Cheapest I can get for 1-2 weeks of play is my best option. $5 seems better for a week or 2 of play than $50, graphics and all.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 15:51 Krovven

Verno wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 15:21:
I don't see what all of that babbling has to do with Skyrim being "overpriced on the PC".

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 15:47 The Half Elf

Tumbler wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 14:18:
I'm expecting Skyrim to be better overpriced on ps3 PC for the same experience as the consoles. (fixeded)

I would gladly pay 80 bucks for a Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas/Skyrim game for the PC as long as it has the toolsets for the modders.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2011, 15:43 Bhruic

I don't see myself spending more time than necessary in this game

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo