Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Yesterday, it popped into my head that R2-D2 is not actually an android, but simply a robot, leaving me wondering why this never occurred to me before. The thing is, it's not like I was watching Star Wars or Blade Runner or anything related, it just struck me out of nowhere. I guess I'm lucky that geekiness is in favor these days, as that's painfully geeky.

Geeky Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Bazooki: A Silent Affair. Thanks Daniel.
BoozeUp.
Combat Hero Adventures.
Links: 12 Hilarious Old Baseball Cards. Thanks Boing Boing.
Cameramail. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: San Francisco considers banning the sale of all pets even goldfish.
The Federal Reserve Stores $1 Billion In Dollar Coins That No One Wants.
Science: The Physics of Cheating in Baseball. Thanks Boing Boing.
Media: Female Armor Sucks. NSFW.
Neil Gaiman, Adam Savage, and Gollum: I Will Survive.
This snapping turtle can climb fences.
Auction: PopCap Charity Auction Week 3.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2011, 07:26 Trixxta

yeah gotta love the Female Armor Sucks - a predictable joke but still not bad

http://www.sydneyvoice.com - Interesting and Funny News, Articles and Videos from all around the Internet
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2011, 01:26 Buke

But I believe "droid" is a word Lucas made up, because the Droid telephone is trademarked for the name under lucasarts.

The word "android" is a combination of Ancient Greek andros and the suffix -oid, which literally means "in the form of a man (male human being)". This could be contrasted with the more general term "anthropoid", which means humanlike. According to this fashion, a female human-like robot would be a "gynoid".

The term android was popularized by the French author Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam in his work Tomorrow's Eve (1886), featuring an artificial humanlike robot named Hadaly. As said by the officer in the story, "In this age of Realien advancement, who knows what goes on in the mind of those responsible for these mechanical dolls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(robot)

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 20:26 Wookiestick

Jabba the Hutt is a hermaphrodite, Blue.

-= does the Wayne's World flashback thing =-
Didlyoop Didlyoop

Love thy wookie.

17. Re: by the bell Jun 29, 2011, 18:29 Creston

space captain wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 15:01:
something was about to pop into my head the other day but then i saw some chick's tits about to fall out of her shirt

Did that make something else pop?

Creston

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 18:29 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 16:49:
But does simply having a humanoid shape qualify one as an android? I always thought they had to actually look human ala Bladerunner or approximate it very closely ala Data, with hair, skin, eyes, etc. (synthetic or otherwise). More human than human, as Dr. Tyrell said.

In Star Wars canon, yes. In other universes... I guess it depends on the universe.

Creston

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 18:25 Hoop

This picture is supposed to be of R2-D2, but I can't for the life of me find him.

http://goo.gl/rQtZg

Um .. Behind you...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 16:49 Cutter

But does simply having a humanoid shape qualify one as an android? I always thought they had to actually look human ala Bladerunner or approximate it very closely ala Data, with hair, skin, eyes, etc. (synthetic or otherwise). More human than human, as Dr. Tyrell said.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. by the bell Jun 29, 2011, 15:01 space captain

something was about to pop into my head the other day but then i saw some chick's tits about to fall out of her shirt  
Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 13:32 beaves

The Android logo is a lie.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 13:23 Creston

kanniballl wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 11:53:
For a walking trash can that can only make a small number of beeps and whistles...

That metal guy had a lot of character, arguably more than half the Star Wars cast.

-

He definitely had better dialogue than everybody in the entire new trilogy combined.

Creston

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 13:13 Jim

It doesn't matter what you call them, these are not the robots you are looking for. Move along.  
Jim

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 12:32 nin

Guess what Blue wants for xmas?!

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/operation-star-wars-puts-r2d2-on-the-slab/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:53 kanniballl

For a walking trash can that can only make a small number of beeps and whistles...

That metal guy had a lot of character, arguably more than half the Star Wars cast.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:38 Jonny5

R2-D2 was indeed a "droid" A repair droid "RD" model two "2"

But I believe "droid" is a word Lucas made up, because the Droid telephone is trademarked for the name under lucasarts.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:15 zirik

another weird law still in effect at san francisco is the ban on sales of air guns. apparently in the old days when milk wagons were common kids would use air guns to play a prank on the driver by shooting the horses with pellets which would send the wagons careening down the streets of san francisco.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:09 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 11:06:
GONK!

GONK!

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:09 Creston

Female Armor Sucks is funny, if utterly predictable.

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:06 nin

GONK!

GONK!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:05 Creston

I think in Star Wars vernacular, R2-D2 would have been considered a "droid," as they don't really ever use "robot."

C3-PO is an android by virtue of having a humanoid appearance.

And Gonk is just a giant piece of shit who gets in the way when you're trying to slice a dark jedi in two! And then doesn't even have the common courtesy to drop a battery! FUCK YOU, GONK!

Creston

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:01 nin

Yesterday, it popped into my head that R2-D2 is not actually an android, but simply a robot, leaving me wondering why this never occurred to me before. The thing is, it's not like I was watching Star Wars or Blade Runner or anything related, it just struck me out of nowhere. I guess I'm lucky that geekiness is in favor these days, as that's painfully geeky.

Deep Thoughts, by Stephen Heaslip.

edit:
The Art of the Brick - Blue.

Some of those are wonderfully creepy, especially the one where the guy is ripping his face off.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo