Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EVE Online Player Exodus?

This spreadsheet has a long list of EVE Online players planning on dropping their subscriptions to the MMORPG following the addition of the controversial microtransaction system in the new Incarna update. Develop crunched the numbers on this, noting that if the more than 5,000 (as of their writing) players on the list do depart, it will cost CCP more than $1 million in subscription fees over the course of a year. Apparently there will be an emergency meeting of the game's Council of Stellar Management to discuss these issues.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 17:44 JohnnyRotten

I loaded up excel, but what currency does what crashed it....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 10:53 nin

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 10:50:
So, with dollars you can buys PLEX, which you can then turn into ISK, but also AURUM? And you can use AURUM and dollars in the shop, but not PLEX and ISK, yet you CAN use PLEX to pay for your monthly fee?

:-scratchhead-:

Creston

I'm with ya, Creston. I figure if I can't keep up with the currency shell game, it's probably a good indicator the game isn't for me.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

44. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 10:50 Creston

So, with dollars you can buys PLEX, which you can then turn into ISK, but also AURUM? And you can use AURUM and dollars in the shop, but not PLEX and ISK, yet you CAN use PLEX to pay for your monthly fee?

:-scratchhead-:

Creston

43. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 09:28 bhcompy

Agrikaan wrote on Jun 29, 2011, 00:58:
"ALL VERY PREDICTABLE FEEDBACK".
"...we look at what our players do and less of what they say"
- Hilmar, CCP CEO.

After 7 years with 4 accounts, its bye bye.

Can I have your stuff?

42. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 01:20 Ginny

Ruffiana wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 20:03:
Ginny wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 12:56:
Whats astounded me most were the comments of previous employees as reguards to their level of professionalism.

Previous employees are always the best source of true and unbiased information about a company.

I aggree, but most of those people were genuinely happy with the company, just they couldn't look beyond what the organisation was.

Honestly, if you can't figure out why the wheels fall off reguarding ccp's shortcomings, go here: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/CCP-Games-Reviews-E159347.htm

Listening to the radio podcast with an ex ccp employee the other day seemed to confirm most of whats said in those comments.

41. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 29, 2011, 00:58 Agrikaan

"ALL VERY PREDICTABLE FEEDBACK".
"...we look at what our players do and less of what they say"
- Hilmar, CCP CEO.

After 7 years with 4 accounts, its bye bye.

40. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 20:03 Ruffiana

Ginny wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 12:56:
Whats astounded me most were the comments of previous employees as reguards to their level of professionalism.

Previous employees are always the best source of true and unbiased information about a company.

39. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:32 Veterator

Cash Shops are kinda like 3d movies, it's cool when you see it done the first or second time. Then it gets old and you start wondering why you're spending so much on it versus the regular experience.

Except cash shops tend to get their claws in and the game is never quite the same as it was on subscription only.

Here's hoping cash shops die like 3d.

38. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:24 JohnBirshire

Every "free to play" microtransaction based game I've ever played has ended up with me spending far more than $15 a month. The only people I know that I've seen get excited about a game going free to play were the freeloaders who play casually and didn't plan on spending a dime.  

37. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:22 nin

Speaking of forums though, they're always bad no matter what game

Oh yeah, no argument there.

36. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:20 Jonny

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 19:07:
Hyperbole on my part, but I can't remember seeing panicky, doom laden news items along the lines of "The expansion WoW died"

It's called "cataclysm" and believe me, they're out there.

Cataclysm is a really shit expansion is what I've generally seen, and likely to get worse with Firelands and it's "Oh hai, non-raiders! We see you like to grind so we'd like you to grind shitty dailies for a month to unlock some vendors!"

Apart from the forum whiners the WoW is dead call isn't likely to be taken up until the next expansion, if it turns out to be as badly thought out as Cata.

Speaking of forums though, they're always bad no matter what game, but "The day Eve died" is actually the title of an article on massively, not a ranty thread title. It's really blowing out of all proportion and feeding on itself.

35. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:13 Umbragen

5000? They are most likely the players making a living off PLEX and isk sales, who else would get pissy about CCP cutting into their market?  

34. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 19:07 nin

Hyperbole on my part, but I can't remember seeing panicky, doom laden news items along the lines of "The expansion WoW died"

It's called "cataclysm" and believe me, they're out there.

33. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 18:54 Wallshadows

Hyperbole on my part, but I can't remember seeing panicky, doom laden news items along the lines of "The expansion WoW died", which I have seen plenty of over this storm in a teacup.

The general forums are usually riddled with threads about players who say the game is dying. Some make excellent points while most simply do so to create attention but both types are quickly locked and deleted by administrators. This has been the case now for a long time, especially whenever a new MMO is released or on the horizon an when an expansion is released (especially Cataclysm).

32. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 18:24 Tumbler

But if I could have bought that same dread from the cash shop for that same billion, my real life money would have gone only to CCP, and that dread I would have bought from another player is languishing in the hangar. Not only that, the player selling the dread could not then set the price to 1.5 billion ISK when a war in his region breaks out, because anyone losing their dread knows they could just buy one cheaper.

Faction Battleship are already sold only by ccp.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

31. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 18:12 DeadlyAccurate

Jonny wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 17:55:
Not really, because not everyone will pay the money for the dreadnought. I, for example, would never pay out $55 for the PLEX to buy one, if I couldn't make the ISK in game I wouldn't buy it.

FTR, the reason I didn't have the dreadnought was because I refuse to buy PLEX. I don't like those instant, unearned influxes of cash.

But, if I knew I could buy that dread from the store easier than I could buy it in-game, maybe I'd be tempted to buy the PLEX off the in-game market, convert the PLEX into Aurum, then use the Aurum for the cash shop dreadnought. So while my earned ISK was transferred to another player's real world cash (ISK to PLEX), the manufactured dreadnought is still sitting unsold on the market.

30. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 17:55 Jonny

Not really, because not everyone will pay the money for the dreadnought. I, for example, would never pay out $55 for the PLEX to buy one, if I couldn't make the ISK in game I wouldn't buy it.

Also any RMT price can never be above the item's ISK value in PLEX, or nobody would buy it either. Eve's economy is a lot more complex than a game like WoW's is, I'm pretty sure a balance would be struck as has happened with PLEX.

I wouldn't say that's what happened at all...

Hyperbole on my part, but I can't remember seeing panicky, doom laden news items along the lines of "The expansion WoW died", which I have seen plenty of over this storm in a teacup.

29. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 17:24 DeadlyAccurate

bhcompy wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 16:58:
The people that are pissed are the ones that don't understand that it already exists and that the system is only being expanded to the new currency(AURUM).

Not exactly. It eliminates the player from the supply chain when the item is directly available for purchase, and it also caps the price of goods. If you know you can buy something straight from the store for [x] amount, market traders can never set the price above that. That sets the price at [x] in every single region.

The last thing I was working on before I unsubscribed was a dreadnought. The cost for one unfitted is, IIRC, about a billion ISK. If I'd wanted to, I could've bought PLEX from CCP, sold it for ISK, and then purchased a dread from another player, essentially using real money to pay them for the time they spent gathering mats and manufacturing the dread.

But if I could have bought that same dread from the cash shop for that same billion, my real life money would have gone only to CCP, and that dread I would have bought from another player is languishing in the hangar. Not only that, the player selling the dread could not then set the price to 1.5 billion ISK when a war in his region breaks out, because anyone losing their dread knows they could just buy one cheaper.

28. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 16:58 bhcompy

necrosis wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 16:22:
Nah its the simple thing of 'those who have the money get the gear'. Some only have time to burn on the game. Others have the money. The people that only have time to burn are now pissed at those who have the money.

It is also the fear that X player spend 2 years getting ISK to get Y item. When player A can hop in the game and in 2 seconds have that Y item if he has the IRL cash for it. Which honestly I do not blame player X for being pissed.

Err, this has been that way in EVE for quite a long time. CCP sanctions converting real cash to ingame cash through the ETC/PLEX system that many users use. Market value for one PLEX last week(30 day sub, $17.50 each[must buy in pairs for $35]) was about 390m ISK. You can buy anything you want with that, including characters.

The people that are pissed are the ones that don't understand that it already exists and that the system is only being expanded to the new currency(AURUM). The new currency, of course, can be acquired via PLEX, which you can buy with ISK. And items bought with AURUM can be sold directly for ISK. The problem comes from the fact that CCP is not capable of this kind of communication to its fanbase. They tried with infographics like this, but it didn't help.

27. Re: EVE Online Player Exodus? Jun 28, 2011, 16:53 Ozmodan

This so called news is bogus, there are actually more people on line this week than last.

The only players that have canceled are the few forum trolls that like to stir controversy.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo