Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hear Yee, Hear Yee

California State Senator Leland Yee's statement is now online reacting to the latest setback in his ongoing efforts to craft a violent games bill that passes constitutional muster. Unsurprisingly, he decries this as harmful to the kids, accusing the SCOTUS of putting the interests of corporations, rather than the Constitution, ahead of them:

“Unfortunately, the majority of the Supreme Court once again put the interests of corporate America before the interests of our children,” said the law’s author, Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco). “As a result of their decision, Wal-Mart and the video game industry will continue to make billions of dollars at the expense of our kids’ mental health and the safety of our community. It is simply wrong that the video game industry can be allowed to put their profit margins over the rights of parents and the well-being of children.”

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 17:04 Dev

Creston wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 15:37:
If Cali only had a 1.3 billion deficit, its Representatives and Senators could all go fishing for a year for all anyone would care. Sadly, it's quite a bit more than just that.

Creston
Actually, I often think that CA would be better off if they DID just go fishing for the year. At least then they wouldn't pass any more numbskull laws like this (Yee isn't the only one, remember it had to pass with majority in both houses, then signed).
And since the budget is often 6 months late anyway, agencies just have to keep going with previous years budget much of the time (or issue IOUs).
gilly775 wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 14:19:
But the underlying thing is, how many social services/law enforcement offices in America would really come after such a thing as spanking? In my rural area up in MN, I don't think it would happen as much as say in the Twin Cities. It really depends on where you are.
I think its not really the offices, but the people. So the question really is, in how many offices is there a single tool who would try to pursue something like that. And I bet the answer to how many offices in America contain a tool working for them, is quite a lot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 15:37 Creston

ldonyo wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 22:41:
California has a $1.3 billion deficit and this ass-clown wants to take a fourth shot at this? If I were in his district I'd be calling him to say that enough is enough already!

If Cali only had a 1.3 billion deficit, its Representatives and Senators could all go fishing for a year for all anyone would care. Sadly, it's quite a bit more than just that.

Creston

53. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 15:29 Creston

Fuck, lee is such an unbelievable fucking tard. How is the game industry being allowed to put profit over the rights of parents, asscunt? How exactly is this decision INFRINGING on the RIGHTS of parents?

The only thing it's infringing on is your fucking desire to legislate what parents ARE TOO FUCKING LAZY TO DO THEMSELVES.

Can we get an earthquake in California that just takes away the piece of land this waste of air happens to be residing on? Maybe if he floats away to the fucking northpole we'll be rid if his insanity.

Creston

52. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 14:19 gilly775

Dev wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 08:57:
gilly775 wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 08:40:
Dev wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 22:55:
Depends. You can get thrown in jail and your kids taken away nowadays if you give a spanking.

It's not illegal unless you get caught. I rarely spank my kids, but if I do so it's because they really did something wrong and the alternatives did/do not work. I was often spanked as a kid and I turned out fine. Just another pussification of America as we know it today.
I'd say getting jailed goes beyond sissyfication of America. And its not necessary to get caught in the act, all it takes is one upset kid complaining to someone such as at school.

Well, any kid can say anything if they really feel like they're being mistreated. I told my kids early on that if they really felt like they had it hard, I'd enroll them in military school and they can see what hard is. But the underlying thing is, how many social services/law enforcement offices in America would really come after such a thing as spanking? In my rural area up in MN, I don't think it would happen as much as say in the Twin Cities. It really depends on where you are.

51. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 09:21 Prez

So yay, America, the land of the...free??

How about "America, Land of the Slightly Freer Than Elsewhere For Now?"

Kinda sad that this thread turned into kind of a Libs versus Cons thread. Clearly this is one of those rare topics where both sides can see some common ground, at least if the Scotus Spread is any indication.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 09:02 Slashman

Dev wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 08:57:
Depends. You can get thrown in jail and your kids taken away nowadays if you give a spanking.

It's not illegal unless you get caught. I rarely spank my kids, but if I do so it's because they really did something wrong and the alternatives did/do not work. I was often spanked as a kid and I turned out fine. Just another pussification of America as we know it today.
I'd say getting jailed goes beyond sissyfication of America. And its not necessary to get caught in the act, all it takes is one upset kid complaining to someone such as at school.

So yay, America, the land of the...free??

49. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 08:57 Dev

48. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 08:40 gilly775

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 18:12:
Parents have the same rights they had before. They have the right to discipline and control their own children.

47. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 01:57 Jensen

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
It will become irrelevant as physical media is mostly phased out over the next 10 years.
I think the xbox 3 and PS4 will be the last consoles with a significant amount of physical media, and they may even transition to mostly download sales.

Kids have long been able to access free violent games on the internet, from Doom shareware to TF2 F2P... not to mention piracy. Banning physical store sales to minors would do little to prevent them from getting access to violent games.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 02:22.

46. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 01:36 Dev

Jensen wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 00:04:
This case is almost irrelevant anyway, as physical media is phased out.
Yeah, no.

Almost all full console games are still physical retail.

Also, there's still a large physical retail presence of PC games. Some people just like to have the retail box, especially if its collectors. Check NPD for data on retail physical PC sales, its still quite significant. No one would bother actually making a boxed copy if it wasn't still significant.

My wild guess is that at least a third to a half of game sales are still physical retail box. Of the digital sales, at least half of those are probably steam sales.

45. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 28, 2011, 00:04 Jensen

This case is almost irrelevant anyway, as physical media is phased out.  

44. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 22:55 Dev

briktal wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 18:49:
In the most recent FTC Undercover Shopper Survey on Enforcement of Entertainment Ratings (link), 64% could buy explicit CDs, 33% could buy tickets to R-rated movies, 38% could buy R-rated DVDs but only 13% could buy M-rated games.
ZOMG! How dare you bring up actual FACTS when politicians like Yee are trying to pass a law!!
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 18:12:
Parents have the same rights they had before. They have the right to discipline and control their own children.
Xirgu wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:13:
funny how in a videogame you can maim, splatter, gut and torture individuals for kicks and noone bats an eye.
show a bare breast though and its rating 18
That said it doesnt seem unreasonable to ban violent games from being sold to *minors*?
Just depends on which part of the world. Its exactly the opposite in many countries in europe for instance, no one batting an eye at sex and nudity (nudity is on broadcast TV in many european countries), and instead going nuts over violence. That same thought, "its not unreasonable to ban" is why in countries like germany they've just outright banned things like blood on any game thats on store shelves. Thats why you have games with things like green blood, or changing things to robots with black oil blood, to comply with german stuff. As I recall,Team Fortress 2 has green blood and instead of gibs has things like rubber duckies come out in the german version.

43. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 22:41 ldonyo

California has a $1.3 billion deficit and this ass-clown wants to take a fourth shot at this? If I were in his district I'd be calling him to say that enough is enough already!  

42. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 22:34 Sepharo

Haha Valve just front page'd this shit on Steam.

41. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 21:56 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:24:
Cutter wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 17:31:
You dittoheads provide me no end of amusement. You just keep drinking the kool-aid and believing what you're told to believe, champ. Don't try thinking for yourself, it's dangerous.
Except that there's plenty of prevailing evidence to support his claim. All you need to do is look at Europe, or to Canada(see NDP, Bloc, or Greens). The state taking care of personal responsibility is the mainstay of liberals and the left today.

Simply because you don't fit into that mould doesn't make it any less true.

Or maybe people have different ideas about what responsibility entails and to whom. So no, there isn't any evidence, just your irrational ideas of what constitutes liberal, consrvative and responsibility. That's typical of small minded, irrational conservatives of which there is plenty of evidence. Conservative hyporcrisy and deluding oneself is alive and well however, thanks for pointing that out once more.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

40. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 21:52 Overon

Psychological studies purporting to show a connection between exposure to violent video games and harmful effects on children do not prove that such exposure causes minors to act aggressively. Any demonstrated effects are both small and indistinguishable from effects produced by other media. Since California has declined to restrict those other media, e.g., Saturday morning cartoons, its video-game regulation is wildly underinclusive, raising serious doubts about whether the State is pursuing the interest it invokes or is instead disfavoring a particular speaker or viewpoint.[q
That's the majority opinion in the case decided today striking down California's law.

For the record, I don't think playboys should have paper bags over them for minor's sake.

39. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 20:30 LittleMe

I personally don't think it's a liberal/conservative issue, but rather a statist one. Statists are often obsessed with controlling much of the world around them, usually using 'fear and want' as a rationalization. These are people who don't understand that the universe often functions better without someone dictating everything. They are lost in the egoic state of consciousness, obsessed and completely identified with the thoughts in their heads.

In other words, these are insane people and drama and human suffering follows them wherever they go.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

38. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 20:24 Mashiki Amiketo

WyldKat wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 20:08:
Yet you're the one arguing that it's the liberals who are responsible for the evils of society... Yeah... You don't believe that a name appended by a party will point to the true political leaning of them AT ALL...

*facepalm*

I'm done here.
Actually I didn't. You implied I did, I'll wait for you to figure it out. Though that might take 10 or 20 years.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 20:18 Sepharo

Although Supreme Court justices are not supposed to be politically affiliated, based on who appointed them and their judicial record they're traditionally though of this way:

Roberts - Conservative
Scalia - Conservative
Kennedy - Conservative (swing)
Thomas - Conservative
Ginsburg - Liberal
Breyer - Liberal
Alito - Conservative
Sotomayor - Liberal
Kagan - Liberal

Those in bold underline formed the majority decision which struck down Yee's bill.

Damn those liberals sure hate children!

36. Re: Hear Yee, Hear Yee Jun 27, 2011, 20:08 WyldKat

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:55:
WyldKat wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:48:
Oh I see. So any conservative that you disagree with instantly qualifies as "not conservative".
Obviously you don't see. Rather you believe that a 'name' appended by a party will always point the true political leaning of a person. Even in Canada, we grew out of that type of political hack 30 years ago.

Yet you're the one arguing that it's the liberals who are responsible for the evils of society... Yeah... You don't believe that a name appended by a party will point to the true political leaning of them AT ALL...

*facepalm*

I'm done here.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo