Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer

There's a Tribes Ascend Preview on IGN with a look at the upcoming TRIBES revival in development at Hi-Rez Studios. In spite of what we were told about this being a "traditional" multiplayer game, as opposed to the more MMOG-like upcoming Tribes Universe, the preview includes word that Tribes Ascend will be a free-to-play game. In addition to that revelation and other details about the game, the preview also includes this teaser trailer offering the first look at gameplay.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jul 10, 2011, 16:02 Devo_N

Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 03:17:
...Oh lord, it's getting worse by the second. IGN has an extended preview of the game up and it reveals even more terrible news. For one, tanks can't be damaged with regular weapons, which makes them even more overpowered than the tanks in T2. I'm guessing you'll have to use a specialized anti-tank weapon, kind of like the missile launcher in T2, only this time it's probably exclusive to the Anti-Tank loadout...

The T2 tank may have been powerful in a pub full of kids, but it was ultimately irrelevant and unused in any sort of high-level play. It was just too slow to be useful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 23:31 ColoradoHoudini

after reading the preview/watching the video
WTF is that bullshit??

Dear jeebus, please get some real old school Tribes people in their dev house to make this game the right way.

Failing that..
would someone please pick up the Unreal:XMP license and remake that game..just update the graphics.. and make it run smoother.. thanks!

40. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 11:18 Jackplug

Jerykk wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 03:17:
For one, tanks can't be damaged with regular weapons, which makes them even more overpowered than the tanks in T2. I'm guessing you'll have to use a specialized anti-tank weapon, kind of like the missile launcher in T2, only this time it's probably exclusive to the Anti-Tank loadout. In addition, it seems that loadouts consist of primary and secondary weapons, ala CoD. A sniper rifle and a pistol, for example.

Well thanks Jerykk I appreciate the update, I will have to read that now. Although with you saying that, it just makes me shudder to say that they're not listening at all. Sod em, I can't be arsed.

For me Tribes died when T2 came out, looks like another one with deaf ears and they know more than what we do and I'm younger than you Jerykk I'm 45 :D.

ps. Why dont you pm us jerykk and we can chat more deeply on our vast knowledge, my email is concealed but just put your name down and I will reply

39. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 09:24 Shataan

"Once skiing was discovered, Tribes got really fast without any mods. Look up Tribes Legacy on Youtube. All that stuff is vanilla Tribes. I thought the movement in the T:A video was actually a bit slow. Reminded me of T2 more than T1."

I know all about it man. I was there when it was discovered. Well at the time. But, not everyone ie all Classes did not ski equal speedwise. What I am talking about was the 1 particular mod where you could jet pack extremely fast anywhere and not use skiing at all. THAT kinda fast.

Tribes did get faster for certain Classes once the skiing thing was exploited yeah.

As always, everything is good in moderation. For the record, someone below mention how the peeps who enjoyed Tribes back in the day are in their 20s/30s now. hehhhe I am 49 this year. You guys must have been sneaking onto Dads pc to play Tribes back then.

I`ll try to keep an open mind, bu8t if they blow this when they have Tribes 1 as a blueprint on how to do it right, I`d be sadly surprised.

38. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 07:16 Nate

Thanks for answering my tank questions!

Reading this thread, perhaps Hi-Rez should have an open beta ASAP. At least they would get feed back earlier. Global Agenda kinda sucked at release.

37. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 04:53 Jerykk

Hopefully Hi-Rez listens to all this feedback and actually changes stuff. More likely they'll just plug their ears and ignore all criticism.  

36. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 04:10 Beaner

OK forgo the speed, the physics etc. From what I'm reading they are borking the loadout system completely. Granted this is rumor, but if this stuff is true how can any of you honestly say this will be a good Tribes game. How could you even call it Tribes. I don't care how fast it plays.

Primary weapons in loadouts. As an example since a disc launcher and laser rifle are primary weapons you cannot carry both. Imagine telling quake players the missile launcher and railgun are primary weapons, You cannot carry both.

No jumping, no disc jumping.

Ok seriously. I don't care who you are. If this is true they should not even call this game tribes. what shit.

more on their response. I guess with tribes history truly does always repeat itself.
http://forum.hirezstudios.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=234&t=37499

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 04:21.

35. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 03:17 Jerykk

How can you say this if your a die hard T1 player, your talking out of your arse as you can't of played T1 at all. "NO" T1 player wants any Tribes game that leans towards T2, I want T1 but better and T2 wasn't, however this isnt better its worse.

I'm guessing he played a T1 mod instead of Base. Probably TAC or something.

Regardless of whether you liked T1, T2 or T:V, NOBODY ever complained about having too many weapons. Not once did I ever see anyone say "You know what would make this game so much better? Only being able to carry two weapons! Holla holla!" I'm pretty sure the two-weapon limit was made specifically so that Hi-Rez would have more potential loadouts to sell.

As for the sniper rifle, I'm not really sure what instigated that change. Maybe they thought the old sniper rifle was too hardcore, even though it was perfectly balanced and ensured that it was primarily a defensive weapon rather than a railgun.

Oh lord, it's getting worse by the second. IGN has an extended preview of the game up and it reveals even more terrible news. For one, tanks can't be damaged with regular weapons, which makes them even more overpowered than the tanks in T2. I'm guessing you'll have to use a specialized anti-tank weapon, kind of like the missile launcher in T2, only this time it's probably exclusive to the Anti-Tank loadout. In addition, it seems that loadouts consist of primary and secondary weapons, ala CoD. A sniper rifle and a pistol, for example.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 03:48.

34. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 28, 2011, 00:07 Jackplug

Surf wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:23:
This game looks GREAT to me and I am very glad they are leaning to the Tribes 2 format as T1 was great but frankly sucked compared to T2 and those kickin graphics and vehicles.

How can you say this if your a die hard T1 player, your talking out of your arse as you can't of played T1 at all. "NO" T1 player wants any Tribes game that leans towards T2, I want T1 but better and T2 wasn't, however this isnt better its worse.

Who knows what microtransactions they will want to add, it will spoil the game and kill off any further want to play Tribes. It looks all nice and fancy, but now its in the hands of a bunch of greedy corporate grabbers who want to grab a beautiful game and try to rip what life it has left from a community that only wants whats best for it.

In my eyes they can fuck off, cos i wont be buying shit from them. I played T1 to its death, played many a competitive match. Never do I want to see Tribes go down like this, it was bad enough when T2/T:V came out, but this is a piss take..

R.I.P. Tribes...

33. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:56 Jerykk

Lastly forcing two weapon minimum and turning the chaingun into a COD style machine gun?

Yeah, the Chaingun-replacement was disappointing. The Chaingun was balanced in that it had spin-up time, got less accurate over time and fired actual moving projectiles as opposed to hitscans. If the new MG is hitscan, I can see it being very overpowered. I also noticed a pistol in the video. A pistol? Really? In Tribes? The Blaster was the closest thing to a pistol in T1 and T2 and it was pretty useless. Now that we have to pay per loadout, I certainly wouldn't want any loadout with a pistol as one of my two weapons.

I also noticed that there is no HUD for ammo and that the ammo is instead shown on the weapons themselves. That explains why the weapons take up half the screen. Oh, the sniper rifle doesn't consume energy anymore. Now it just uses ammo, completely ruining the perfect balance that the sniper rifle had in the previous games.

Based on the early interviews, I thought these guys understood Tribes. Evidently I was wrong.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 00:04.

32. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:51 Muscular Beaver

God, it looks so effing slow... Even slower than T2 and T3...
No thanks...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

31. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:47 z0dd

The beta video looks good. We can't evaluate the F2P policy until pricing if fully explained. Buying all of their doodads may be cheaper than buying a full-priced game.

PS: BEANER!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:36 eunichron

The preview video looks ok, but I still have doubts about the F2P model. One can be sure that releasing a game for free from the get-go means that purchases will be mandatory to acquire new upgrades.

With the video showing off skiing and the disc thrower though, I have some hope for this one.

29. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 23:04 Surf

Tanks were great if you had a driver and gunner that talked to each other. They could be really annoying but helped tremendously with taking out embedded people.

The deployed tank was great too, forgot the name. Really cool to recharge or get a new suit.

Unfortunately like many games, rewarding defenders pales to the limelight flag getters. Only Bad Company 2 rewards defenders and repair folks more than say snipers.

28. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 22:57 Beaner

Hump wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 17:42:
Not surprisingly, the brain trust at TribalWar doesn't seem to like it.

Of course no one here will either.

Utterly amazing how people can look at a 60 second trailer and decide that it will suck.

Looks like Tribes to me. Why don't you wait to see how they're going to make money on this before flying off the handle.

you mean using rational thought? C'mon cutter, you've been here long enough to know that you're asking the impossible....

Its not the video for me. The graphics look pretty cool and I understand this is still in testing. Its what they just said about purchasing loadout's that is a concern. Lastly forcing two weapon minimum and turning the chaingun into a COD style machine gun? Yeah there is a lot to bitch about without watching the video. Maybe we are all interpreting this information incorrectly. If that is the case, someone needs to fire that writer at IGN or the person they interviewed.

By the way this isn't just causing concern at tribalwar. Go to any Tribes forum unrelated to TW. There are a lot of people concerned about the loadout change and purchasing loadouts. This has absolutely nothing to do soley with the usual asshats at TW. They are legit concerns period..

27. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 22:36 Beaner

The graphics look nice but there are a lot of concerns especially after reading that article. Selling loadouts as micro transactions is bad enough, but to limit a player to two weapons? Don't like that at all. Also did they turn the tribes chaingun into a military style machine gun? wtf is that about? This isn't halo or COD its suppose to be Tribes. Boy do I hope they clarify this mess.

Jerykk wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:52:
I don't have a problem with F2P. I have a problem with F2P that charges for things that affect gameplay. TF2 does not force you to pay for anything that affects gameplay. All weapons and items can be obtained for free. T:A, on the other hand, forces you to pay for each loadout. There's a big difference. Hi-Rez should scrap their current plan and instead charge only for cosmetic items.

This is pretty much the crux of the problem with this new reveal. Firefall, TF2 all these F2P games will sell cosmetic microtransaction items. Things that do not affect gameplay. I'm actually shocked Hi-Rez said they will sell loadouts. Lastly to put salt on the wound they want to limit the number of held weapons to two? wtf are they thinking?

Why cant we have just one developer make a nice looking tribes with everything we loved about the game. Go ahead and throw in some of your new stuff. But why must they always mess with things that have been a characteristic of the game for years. Its like taking quake and forcing you to buy a loadout with the railgun or missile. Taking counterstrike and making you pay for the ability to use gernades or wear shields. Of course those franchises will never have to deal with this type of crap. Just Tribes.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2011, 22:53.

26. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 20:45 DangerDog

Nate wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:31:
Never got into the original Tribes but am sure to try this since it will be F2P.

Question for people in the know, saw a tank in the video. Do you expect tanks to be fun in this game? Or is more geared to the individual soldier flying around?

Tribes has always been too fast paced for vehicles, that is unless they gimp skiing and or make the maps too large.

They've removed jump from the game to "simplify the controls".

25. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 19:52 Jerykk

the biggest thing is that people better start getting used to F2P PC titles because that's the model that is going to be the norm for online MP games. Even Valve, who proved that PC gaming isn't dead, is choosing to make TF2 F2P.

I don't have a problem with F2P. I have a problem with F2P that charges for things that affect gameplay. TF2 does not force you to pay for anything that affects gameplay. All weapons and items can be obtained for free. T:A, on the other hand, forces you to pay for each loadout. There's a big difference. Hi-Rez should scrap their current plan and instead charge only for cosmetic items.

Question for people in the know, saw a tank in the video. Do you expect tanks to be fun in this game? Or is more geared to the individual soldier flying around?

Tanks were very annoying in T2 and T:V. They were basically designed for spamming.

24. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 19:31 Nate

Never got into the original Tribes but am sure to try this since it will be F2P.

23. Re: Tribes Ascend Will Be F2P, Gameplay Trailer Jun 27, 2011, 19:23 Surf

I was a die hard T1 and T2 player, the single person that brought the game to Eidos and my friends there. Also told my buds at EA about it, a game they never heard. We ALL got into it big fucking time.

This game looks GREAT to me and I am very glad they are leaning to the Tribes 2 format as T1 was great but frankly sucked compared to T2 and those kickin graphics and vehicles.

Looking forward to it, glad to see someone has the balls to bring it back to life. However as stated below, people are too spoiled and flat out fucking lazy to invest the time and skill into a game that doesn't have auto aim.

Here's to T:Ascend and I hope the game will keep the cheaters out!

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo