Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 17:55 Veterator

Teddy wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 17:15:
Veterator wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 15:29:
My feeling on the matter is even if one of the employees were involved, firing a sizable portion of your security staff is not going to allow you to secure yourself from anything the employee did.

I don't disagree. I'm more speaking of a legal standpoint. All it would take is one former employee being involved to cast doubt that it was avoidable. It then becomes a matter of sabotage, rather than negligence.

Again, I'm not saying this is even remotely likely, just suggesting the possibility and contemplating the effect it would have on potential lawsuits.

Seems more like an attitude change. While I realize employees can do this kind of stuff to companies. Companies are the one's collecting the information, so it's their responsibility when the leak comes within the company, outside of the company, or somewhere in between. Personally I think there should be a law penalizing companies who "lose"(IE Stolen or if it's deleted and causes fees/harm to people due because of either) information to breaches, and "common sense" guidelines put in place that they should have in place. If it's something no one could have imagined happening, they should divulge the information to authorities and let them revise the guidelines to incorporate it for other companies operating under the guidelines.

I don't think for instance a forum like this should have to follow anything that would cost money if it were breached because the information stored is minimal. However a banking website, any merchant place someone can buy something in your name (newegg, ebay, etc), or companies that store billing data such as SOE. More so if they take no measures to secure the information. Even if it involves making people use more secure passwords in those circumstances.

I mean there's pretty easy ways to make it so you have one hard to remember password you rarely need versus one easier to remember password. You setup something like NCSoft, where you have a master account and sub-account(s) for games where you can reset the password on it via the master account if it's stolen.

I guess my overall point is, even if their ex-employees did have a hand in it. I think Sony is still responsible in full for any damage done. If they want to pursue taking some of that out of their employees hide, that's their choice....but I have a feeling they would argue that their damages should be limited because of this guy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 17:15 Teddy

Veterator wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 15:29:
My feeling on the matter is even if one of the employees were involved, firing a sizable portion of your security staff is not going to allow you to secure yourself from anything the employee did.

I don't disagree. I'm more speaking of a legal standpoint. All it would take is one former employee being involved to cast doubt that it was avoidable. It then becomes a matter of sabotage, rather than negligence.

Again, I'm not saying this is even remotely likely, just suggesting the possibility and contemplating the effect it would have on potential lawsuits.

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 15:29 Veterator

Even if employee was responsible, SONY is ultimately responsible for the data they collect and store. I don't understand why they need to keep so much data on non-currently subscribed customers. Remove their card and make them re-enter it if they are no longer subbed to anything. They presumably had data from over 10 years ago stored in their databases since they never said otherwise....people forget what data they even turned over to SOE after 10 years.

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 14:58 Teddy

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 14:26:
Way to go Sony! I talked about how security/IT are sometimes in the first wave to be downsized since they have no directly obvious effect on the bottom line, but I had no idea Sony themselves were going to prove my point.

Sounds like negligence if a class action happens.

Unless it proves that any one of the employees laid off was involved. I doubt it, but I don't discount the possibility.

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 14:26 Dev

Way to go Sony! I talked about how security/IT are sometimes in the first wave to be downsized since they have no directly obvious effect on the bottom line, but I had no idea Sony themselves were going to prove my point.

Sounds like negligence if a class action happens.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo