Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus

The Bethesda Blog announces a preorder bonus for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, saying those who make an advance commitment to the RPG sequel will receive a "premium quality world map" of the sort that used to be pretty commonly included with games. Word is: "Making real maps of our fantasy worlds is an Elder Scrolls tradition. As Todd Howard said all the way back in a Morrowind blog post, 'Thereís something about having a physical object in your hands that feels like itís part of this other world, that you are that person in the game, finding your way among the hills'."

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 22:06 Surf

I have the Oblivion CE but that didn't come with a cloth map? I think Cloth Maps are great, and should be made in a limited edition or collectors version. Seems cool, no one is forced to buy anything they don't want/need.

I have all the Ultima's (Including a pristine Sierra Ultima 2 with map). Those were SO cool, and they really pulled you into the game a bit, an era where you had to use your imagination more rather than todays mind boggling visuals!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 22:03 Evil Timmy

jimnms wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 20:38:
Not when I can get it for $20-$30 6 months later and after most of the bugs have been patched out.

And, of course, the best thing about Bethesda games on PC: by that time, the mod community will have really had a crack at it. By the six month mark, some of the first TCs or big content additions should be out, and all the balance and UI mods (which are undoubtedly necessary) will have been fine tuned and tested. In other words, the game's truly playable at that point.

31. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 21:19 Tanto Edge

Burlap paper is quasi fabric, that can be digitally printed to. It's an infinitely cheaper process to produce these maps.
Given they're for pre-orders, it makes sense.

As opposed to a Collectors Edition, of which they haven't said anything yet.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2011, 21:25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

30. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 20:38 jimnms

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 19:51:

Why? You don't think a fucking huge game like this is worth $60?

Not when I can get it for $20-$30 6 months later and after most of the bugs have been patched out.

Steam Profile

29. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 19:52 StingingVelvet

Nice to get a premium map. Surprised there was no collector's edition announced as well. I hope they do one, since I have a CE for Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3. It would be a shame to not do one here.

Obviously if I cancel my current pre-order for a collector's edition they better damn well have the nice map in the CE!

28. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 19:51 StingingVelvet

jimnms wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 19:34:
I pre-ordered from Amazon since you don't have to pay until it ships, but if they stick to the $60 PC price I will cancel before it ships.

Why? You don't think a fucking huge game like this is worth $60?

27. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 19:34 jimnms

I pre-ordered from Amazon since you don't have to pay until it ships, but if they stick to the $60 PC price I will cancel before it ships.  

Steam Profile

26. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 19:01 LittleMe

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 12:29:
I still have my cloth Ultima 4 map.

Creston

Same!! The Ultima 3 map is at my bro's.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

25. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 17:50 Killswitch

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 15:56:
I've always wondered about the collector's edition garbage, though.

Seems like stuff for people with hoarding compulsions. You study it for 30 seconds then toss it onto a pile of junk in the corner of your room? Personally, I can't stand unnecessary physical objects cluttering up my living space. I'll take the digital download so I don't have to handle and store a disc.

24. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 17:39 Darks

This is straight from Bethesda.

Bethesda has announced that if you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you will receive (at no added cost) a premium quality world map as a bonus. The premium map will be exclusive to pre-orders, with paper maps going to regular purchases after launch. The map apparently has a feel similar to burlap and it will be available in both North America and Europe.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

23. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 17:28 CJ_Parker

People actually want a 4" tall pewter Duke Nukem bust? What the hell will you do with that? Where are you going to display it? Will it actually go with you when you move?

C'mon if you had some imagination you'd know that people use it for mouth-fucking the Duke .

22. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 17:24 Darks

Cutter wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 16:15:
The Fallout 3 CE was still the best so far. I have my Pipboy bobble head and lunchbox in front of me. Apart from that was the Bioshock CE with the Big Daddy statue. He sits on my nightstand, lol. It's hard to tell from the shot they have up but if that's the map they're offering it doesn't look like any great shakes.

Dungeon Siege actually came with a Cloth Map. I have mine signed by Chris Taylor. Non Collectable too.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

21. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 16:15 Cutter

The Fallout 3 CE was still the best so far. I have my Pipboy bobble head and lunchbox in front of me. Apart from that was the Bioshock CE with the Big Daddy statue. He sits on my nightstand, lol. It's hard to tell from the shot they have up but if that's the map they're offering it doesn't look like any great shakes.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 16:13 WyldKat

I've always wondered about the collector's edition garbage, though. It's pretty much always just that - garbage. People actually want a 4" tall pewter Duke Nukem bust? What the hell will you do with that? Where are you going to display it? Will it actually go with you when you move?

Well, the collectible items are clearly not for you.

Back in the golden age of gaming stuff like maps, figures, and other neat little tangible items were common to receive when just buying the normal game. I remember my Ultima 8 box had a cloth map of the island as well as a pentagram coin. These games also had huge manuals which served as a lorebook as well as how to play the game. It did a lot to immerse you in the world and give you something to read when you weren't playing the game. The maps also harken back to classic pen-and-paper gaming, where elaborate maps would be drawn out.

It's something that the gaming industry has lost really. I remember being thrilled getting my Elemental CE and finding a dragon, cloth map, and lore book inside of it. It reminded me of the classic games, when the bonus items weren't stupid branded flash drives or a cheap tshirt. The bonus items related to the game and felt like a virtual item made real.

As for where you display them, my Pipboy bobblehead makes a great desktop companion. The table where I keep my jewelry box (which looks like a treasure chest) is decorated with cloth maps from games with various pewter figures on them in a very "Game of Thrones" style along with some coins and an "ebony" looking dagger.

19. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 16:10 Ratty

From the Bethesda Blog:
Update: Had plenty of questions about the map. The map is a high-grade material that has a feel similar to burlap, and will be available in North America and Europe. There will be a regular paper map included in all copies of the game, but if you want to get the premium map, we recommend pre-ordering the game.
OK, a couple of you owe Bethseda an apology methinks. I was going to go ahead an preorder for the map but actually I think I'd prefer the paper one instead of the preorder burlap.

18. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 15:59 Orogogus

It's really not as if every single game used to come with tons of stuff. The Ultimas are really the only ones I can think of that came with cloth maps; The Bard's Tale came with a cheap paper one. EA sold their games in those thin square boxes, and SSI had a ton of RPGs with bare bones documentation.  

17. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 15:56 Beamer

Odds that non-preodered copies still include a map, only a lesser quality version of it: very high.

Odds that the majority of buyers never look at it and it ends up in the trash: very high.

The most recent Kill Screen has an interesting article by a guy that received Dragon Warrior free from Nintendo Power and immediately got institutionalized. He couldn't bring the game, but brought the map and just studied it, as well as the enemy chart on the back. Having the same map and same chart, I remember doing the same.
But Skyrim won't be purchased by 8 year old kids that spend more time fantasizing about games than playing them. And, unlike Dragon Warrior, Skyrim will have an interactive map in-game that's far more useful than any paper possibly could be.

I've always wondered about the collector's edition garbage, though. It's pretty much always just that - garbage. People actually want a 4" tall pewter Duke Nukem bust? What the hell will you do with that? Where are you going to display it? Will it actually go with you when you move?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 15:50 Chazix

Sad that this stuff used to be free.
It used to be $100 NZD for a game, with a huge box, multiple thick manuals, maps etc. Now I have to pay $120 - $150 NZD for the "Premium/pre-ordered/collectors" edition, which is usually a basic DVD Case, with a slightly different cover, perhaps a folded up little map tucked inside, or some in-game item thrown in as an afterthought which totally unbalances the start of the game.
Or if you're really lucky a "Bonus DVD" containing trailers and interviews already available on youtube.

Good for you if that's what you want, but personally I don't bother anymore.
I just go for the digital download of the basic version.

15. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 15:46 Nomaar

Why is everyone assuming it's a cloth map? If it was cloth, why would they use a vague term like "premium quality"? Because it's a paper map.

Read here.

Funny how those little tricksters in the marketing department call it "burlap paper" to create the illusion that it is still somehow a cloth map you are getting.

14. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 15:20 Veinman

I used the map included with Morrowind quite a bit while playing.  

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo