Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PopCap in Play for $1B?

PopCap may be for sale, as TechCrunch reports hearing from "multiple sources" that the casual games developer may soon be sold for as much as (Dr. Evil voice) one billion dollars. They also have speculation about possible buyers, listing traditional publisher Electronic Arts and social gaming giant Zynga as possible candidates, though they indicate the $1B may be too rich for Zynga's blood, and add that PopCap could also be the target of an Asian company looking to make inroads in western markets. There's follow-up to this on VentureBeat, where they note that PopCap's "soon-to-be customer engagement leader" Jennifer Kye tweeted a refutation of this story, saying: "Sorry, I might not have been clear. I was simply stating that @TechCrunch‘s article is not true. I’ll be working there next week! My boss confirmed it for me." However, adding fuel to the speculative fire, this tweet has since been deleted, with Kyle calling it a "rookie CM mistake." VentureBeat also has a follow-up statement from PopCap spokesperson Garth Chouteau: "Per company policy we do not comment on rumor and speculation of this type."

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 21:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

1 Billion for peggle type games... I can totally believe it in this day and age. Hopefully they spend most/all of that money on whores and coke to snort off said whores, just to complete the circle of life.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 16:17 Cutter

That would be a very silly, very overvalued purchase.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 13:02 Krovven

Read this yesterday...and thought this was already debunked last night?

5. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 12:40 LemonJoose

Please, God, not Zynga. However, I think Zynga has to be the odds-on favorite to PopCap at this point. Evil is going to triumph, I think.  

4. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 12:04 Kxmode

As they prepared to sell their business they discovered preparations "A" through "G" were complete failures. However "H" looks like it'll be a winning success. Preparation "H" sounds good on the whole.  

3. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 11:37 avianflu

there is a vast consumer interest in casual games and popgames is sitting successfully right in the middle of it.

Yea they are worth 1 billion.

Cant stand casual games myself, even plants versus zombies. Everything is too easy -- no challenge.

2. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 11:12 Creston

I heard (just yesterday) through the grapevine that they got an offer of 750 million not too long ago, and the board just kind of giggled and said "Yeah, we're pretty sure we can get a billion," and turned it down flat.

I think they're probably worth a billion.

Creston

1. Re: PopCap in Play for $1B? Jun 23, 2011, 11:06 Mashiki Amiketo

Shouldn't be long before we see yet another 'tech' bubble implosion.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo