Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 Sells 3 Million

Gabe Newell says Portal 2 has sold more than three million copies since the puzzle/platformer sequel was released, reports Joystiq, saying Valve's managing director stated this at the Games For Change conference here in the big apple. Which platforms this comprises and whether this figure counts Steam sales are not clear.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Portal 2 Sells 3 Million Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 Verno

When Gabe/valve say a) "portal 2 is our last isolated single player" and b) we want to enter mobile, social, and "entertainment as a service" markets, that means something has to give. And those particular statements weren't offhand vague statements thrown off a single time. They've been repeated recently multiple times by gabe and others at valve.

You seem to make an awful lot of conclusions based on second hand press quotes that usually don't even contain full context. Valve takes a long time to make games. They aren't going to make them any faster because you get uppity about it and call them sellouts using what you think is more subtle language. Valve don't just make games for the PC and they have never pretended differently. That doesn't mean the PC doesn't get a lot of focus thanks to Steam.

What exactly is your goal here? You seem to actually desire them to say "WE ARENT GOING TO WORK ON ANY GAMES ANYMORE SO THERE!". They have always been tight lipped about what they are working on and even slower bringing it to market. This stuff should be no surprise to you if you've been following Valve a long time and even less of a surprise to someone who understands how different the gaming industry is these days.

They are not sitting on a bed of cash laughing maniacally about they never have to work anymore, sorry to break it to you. They are just slow and work on a lot of different games so sometimes a project takes a backseat to something else. I think it's great personally, we've seen some pretty remarkable games that we might not have received if they just sat around grinding Half-Life games for the entire existence of the studio.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 17:11 Jerykk

Portal 2 does show definite signs of console influence. For one, they replaced the standard, PC-centric options menu with one that is much more gamepad-friendly. They also added aim assist for the portals. In addition, they made sure that the loading screens were TRC/TCR-compliant. And finally, there's no menu option for custom maps, unlike the first game.  

33. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 15:55 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 14:01:
but for Dev to demand they do what customers want is idiotic. As we all know customers, en masse, are fucking morons. Any company listening to them will be burned.
I clarified that already, more than once. I just don't want them to stop focusing on PC market. If they continue to work on PC games as they have in the past (whatever they want that makes them happy), that will make me happy. If they do ep3 I will be even happier. I'm not demanding they do any particular genre, or any particular feature. I certainly don't want them to churn out crap like other companies. Everything they've made I've liked AND bought much of it multiple times, almost all of it pre-order.

They have a finite amount of manpower (a mere 250 people), and can't find anyone else they want to hire (gabe said they'd hire 50 more people in a heartbeat if anyone met their requirements, obviously, they can't find people to hire that do).

When Gabe/valve say a) "portal 2 is our last isolated single player" and b) we want to enter mobile, social, and "entertainment as a service" markets, that means something has to give. And those particular statements weren't offhand vague statements thrown off a single time. They've been repeated recently multiple times by gabe and others at valve.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2011, 16:12.

32. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 14:01 Beamer

They live in the same world with the same business realities as the rest of us mere mortals.

Not when they're sitting on an enormous warchest. They more have the same realities as Paris Hilton.

Or do you see Half-Life 2: Episode 3 anywhere, you know, a game they very much wanted to do?

No. If they didn't do what they wanted to we'd have HL 8 now. But, since they're flush with cash and revenues, they can afford to not push out HL products.

. I doubt very much that each and every one of their games meets the taste of each and every employee.

No. They let those in charge do what they want. You're an executive producer? Congrats, you have free reign! You're Gabe Newell? Congrats, you have input into everything? You're a level designer? Congrats, in a few years you'll probably be more!

Still, even Valve isn't living in a box so any and all of their business decisions are certainly not just based on the "fun factor" but on the same factors that EA or Activision are basing their decisions on (ROI and all that bottom line stuff).

Valve operates, and can afford to operate, ignoring things like ROI and bottom line in their decisions. They like to take risks and have fun. They won't make a decision they can't validate as something they'd enjoy. This has always worked well for them. This isn't to say they're perfect, or always knows what fun is, it means they never feel obligated to make a WW2 game, or a space marine game, or a HL sequel, if it isn't what they're feeling into at that moment.

But I'd be very hesitant to glorify them as the rebel yell hard rock idols of gaming because that's definitely not who or what they are.

I didn't say they were rebels, I said they did what they think is fun rather than what they think is guaranteed to sell. They're also confident enough in their senses to think those overlap, but for Dev to demand they do what customers want is idiotic. As we all know customers, en masse, are fucking morons. Any company listening to them will be burned.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 13:54 mag

spindoctor wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 04:57:
mag wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 01:58:
I bought the PS3 version because it came with the PC version also, and I've still only played the game for about thirty minutes because of the PSN's downtime. By the time it was back up crunch time was back on.

I understand why the PS3 version is desirable and why that probably led to increased sales of it. I'm just saying that the PSN downtime might have contributed to counter balancing that increase in sales. Either way, I don't believe it would have outsold the 360 version.
That happens very rarely.

I totally agree with you about the PSN downtime decreasing sales--I wasn't clear in my comment. I ordered the game from Amazon the night before the PSN went down, and then couldn't play on the PC (my preferred) for a month because of that. If it had gone down a day earlier, I wouldn't have bought it at all, or I would've gotten it from Steam.

30. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 13:54 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 13:10:
Don't see how. Are you denying that Valve does whatever the hell they want to do?

Yes, I'm denying that. They live in the same world with the same business realities as the rest of us mere mortals. I'm 100% sure that sometimes they are doing what the hell they have to do rather than what they want to do.
Or do you see Half-Life 2: Episode 3 anywhere, you know, a game they very much wanted to do?

Are you denying that they make what they think is fun for themselves?

Valve is a corporate entity employing over 250 people. I doubt very much that each and every one of their games meets the taste of each and every employee. So who is this mythical "they" we are talking about?
Regardless of that I'm naturally not denying that what they are making is fun for themselves because if they did anything else in their very independent luxury situation (nod@Steam) they'd be seriously frackin retarded. They don't have to be the mercenaries of the gaming world like Obsidian.
Still, even Valve isn't living in a box so any and all of their business decisions are certainly not just based on the "fun factor" but on the same factors that EA or Activision are basing their decisions on (ROI and all that bottom line stuff).

And let's face it: Valve are not taking a lot of chances or risking much. They started out safe by making a shooter and if you look at all of their games they are (or rather were) almost exclusively amateur or hobby projects gone professional (CS/TF/Portal/DoD etc.). Valve always kept the risk very low by not investing big and obviously they had a really good sense for what would fly with people. Credit where credit is due. They did an awesome job on that front. They are an extremely efficient business venture.
But I'd be very hesitant to glorify them as the rebel yell hard rock idols of gaming because that's definitely not who or what they are.

29. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 13:10 Beamer

Gaaaawwwwd... *sound of curling toenails*... fanboi much, dude?

Don't see how. Are you denying that Valve does whatever the hell they want to do? Are you denying that they make what they think is fun for themselves? I can't be much of a fanboy when I haven't played a Valve title in years. Wait, no, I bought L4D2 for $10 and played it for about 10 hours. But I haven't played Portal 2, or L4D1, or more than 2 hours of TF2.

Bungie does this, too. I'll never claim to be much of a Bungie fan but I'll give them credit for pretty much mortgaging their future to make a game they want rather than the game their fans want.

-------------

28. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 13:06 Verno

Dev wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 11:24:
I was referring to valve doing PC games such as they have in the past, such as more portal or ep3. Contrasting to valves recent statements that they are going into 3 other markets: mobile, social, and "entertainment as a service", which is obviously going to lead to a loss of focus on PC games.

Nowhere was I saying I wanted them to churn out crappy FPS clones.

I don't see any evidence that Valve is going to stop making PC games, just a bunch of inferred conclusions based on vague press quotes. Valve just takes their time doing it, much like Blizzard. It can be infuriating at times but it doesn't mean they are abandoning the platform. Quite the opposite, creating games for the PC creates great tie-ins for Steam and those kinds of exclusives are what keeps people coming back.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

27. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 12:36 CJ_Parker

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 11:35:
It's Valve, for shit's sake. They're gamers, serious gamers, and they make the games THEY want to play.

Gaaaawwwwd... *sound of curling toenails*... fanboi much, dude?

26. Re: Portal 2 Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 11:44 Creston

Wow, that's impressive for what is, after all, a puzzle game.

So, odds on Portal 3 before HL3... 3 to 5?

Creston

25. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 11:35 Beamer

Valve has always done what they wanted to do. The fact that they did what they wanted to do was what made their products so good.

You're now demanding they give up this right, one they've earned, and just give customers what they want. Sorry, Dev, it's been proven time and time again in sales numbers that customers want crappy FPS clones. So yeah, maybe what you mean is "Hey, Gabe Newell, stop doing what makes you happy and do what makes me, Dev, happy. I'm more important here. Me me me me me me me me me me me me."

Screw that. Valve has certainly earned the right to keep doing what they find interesting, what they're passionate about, and what gives them incentive to keep their quality top notch rather than merely going through the motions and kicking out what specifically what Dev wants to play.

And yes, you keep saying that Valve is going to make the next MafiaWars. If Valve is focusing more effort on a casual game that no one here will enjoy rather than a AAA title or a social game with significant depth people here will love... it's not happening. It's Valve, for shit's sake. They're gamers, serious gamers, and they make the games THEY want to play.

-------------

24. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 11:24 Dev

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 07:18:
At least consider working on stuff that your customers want, instead of stuff thats interesting to you.

You know, Dev, you're right. Developers should do what customers want, not what's interesting to them. After all, doing what customers want gave us a billion soulless Call of Duties, right?

And isn't that what "marketing suits" demand, that studios make artistic concessions and work not on what they'd enjoy but what customers want and therefore will sell? Customers want goofy sidekicks, quick, someone bring back Superfly Johnson!

I was referring to valve doing PC games such as they have in the past, such as more portal or ep3. Contrasting to valves recent statements that they are going into 3 other markets: mobile, social, and "entertainment as a service", which is obviously going to lead to a loss of focus on PC games.

23. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 09:27 Sepharo

Fibrocyte wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 08:16:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 23:30:
Shadowcat wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 23:22:
I've noticed a pattern (or at least several instances) of sequels being mentioned without their identifying number in headlines here, of late. That should change. Portal 2 is not Portal (and nor will Portal 3 be).

First it's the Firefox version numbers, now Blue's right

I couldn't find an example in 200 article titles (4 pages in news forum).

You posted your comment in an example.

HURR HURR

22. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 08:54 Ant

I still haven't bought and played Portal 2.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 08:16 Fibrocyte

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 23:30:
Shadowcat wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 23:22:
I've noticed a pattern (or at least several instances) of sequels being mentioned without their identifying number in headlines here, of late. That should change. Portal 2 is not Portal (and nor will Portal 3 be).

First it's the Firefox version numbers, now Blue's right

I couldn't find an example in 200 article titles (4 pages in news forum).

You posted your comment in an example.

20. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 07:18 Beamer

At least consider working on stuff that your customers want, instead of stuff thats interesting to you.

You know, Dev, you're right. Developers should do what customers want, not what's interesting to them. After all, doing what customers want gave us a billion soulless Call of Duties, right?

And isn't that what "marketing suits" demand, that studios make artistic concessions and work not on what they'd enjoy but what customers want and therefore will sell? Customers want goofy sidekicks, quick, someone bring back Superfly Johnson!

-------------

19. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 07:10 Dev

So Gabe, now maybe you'll make more games with "isolated single player" like you consider portal 2 to be, instead of this one being valve's last?

Edit: Apparently this isn't clear to some so I'm going to clarify it. I want them to continue making PC games. Whatever they decide to make, I've liked their stuff in the past I likely will in the future whatever it is. I'm NOT "demanding" any particular type of game, like churning out crap that console masses want. Let those hordes go buy latest crap shooter clone from some other company (valve will get its cut through steam anyway).

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2011, 15:58.

18. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 05:28 Eccentric

..so does getting the PC version with the PS3 version count as one sale, or...  

17. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 04:57 spindoctor

mag wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 01:58:
I bought the PS3 version because it came with the PC version also, and I've still only played the game for about thirty minutes because of the PSN's downtime. By the time it was back up crunch time was back on.

I understand why the PS3 version is desirable and why that probably led to increased sales of it. I'm just saying that the PSN downtime might have contributed to counter balancing that increase in sales. Either way, I don't believe it would have outsold the 360 version.
That happens very rarely.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

16. Re: Portal Sells 3 Million Jun 23, 2011, 01:58 mag

spindoctor wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 01:41:
fujiJuice wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 00:44:
I imagine PS3 sales would be the highest, considering PC is my first choice, but the fact that the PS3 version included the PC version, I purchased that instead.

PS3 sales would be hit by the PSN downtime though. That started a day after the game released.

As for the total figures, I assume they would follow the general sales trend that almost every other game these days follows... 50% xbox, 35% PS3, 15% PC.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo