Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is the 15th anniversary of the release of QUAKE, id Software's first-person shooter. I keep thinking I'll get used to these commemorations involving ever-larger numbers, but the shock never seems to diminish. I don't think I currently have the original QUAKE installed on my machine, but I'm going to dig it up and play some for old time's sake.

QUAKING Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Army of Ages.
Links: Building Historic Burt Rutan Designs Brick By Lego Brick. LEGO! Thanks Jim.
Science: European Space Agency set to build experimental transport spacecraft.
Spying on Spy Satellites with Thierry Legault. Thanks Jim.
Media: A Warning From The Future.
Eyebrow Video Bomb.
WRC: Mikko Hirvonen neither slid downhill nor hit a tree.
Auction: PopCap Charity Auction Week #2.
The Funnies: Simon's Cat now on the Mirror.co.uk.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2011, 23:13 ^Drag0n^

Pankin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 22:58:
I always enjoy posting this little reminder of Blue's humble beginnings when there's an important Quake anniversary. Plus, I know he gets a kick out of it too.

It's an entire Quakecast via Pseudo Online Network from Oct 2, 1997. Yowza!

http://www.cvanepps.com/audio/quakecast_oct_2_1997.mp3

The fan mail read at the 6:00 mark (the one comparing Quakecast to Howard Stern) was from me. I love the Eddie Jones ad for the SpaceOrb 360 at 35:59. "Girlbomb's a creep!" LOLers!

Anyway, enjoy all! And congrats to Blue, for being the venerable gaming presence for all these many years.

Cool and bittersweet. Reminds me of JCal...Did they ever find out what happened to him?

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Happy Birthday, Quake.... Jun 25, 2011, 23:10 ^Drag0n^

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 14:58:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 13:09:
...and if any members of Dark Requiem are out there, Cheers to you!

Steve & Walter: Hard to believe we've know each other as long as we have. What a crazy and amazing world, eh?

^D^

I was thinking something similar when I dug up my QUAKE CD and I recalled how I got it autographed at that QuakeWorld event in SoHo. Sure enough, it's signed by Carmack, Romero, and *scribble*. The last is probably American McGee by the looks of it, but I can't be sure. Not sure why I didn't get it signed by the other guys. Anyway, it is indeed hard to believe that will have been 15 years ago this September.

I still have mine too...Mine was signed by Barrett, Romero, American, Carmack and Hollenshed...funny part is John had problems with the pen, and had to sign it twice...

The part I remember most about the QW party (aside from being ripped the Tourney had FF off ;-) ) was John's impromptu talk on programming theory in Quake--there must have been 10-15 of us listening to him in the center of the circle, talking way over our head, but not caring.

So much respect for John. He is so selfless with his knowledge, truly a class act.

^D^

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2011, 10:28 Ant

Damn, we're old! I remember getting qtest and playing it briefly it in a small computer lab in the late hours. Computers had no speakers, but who cares.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

26. Re: 15 YEARS?!? Jun 23, 2011, 01:26 PHJF

I was stuck gaming in software mode until getting a TNT2

Unreal, however, still looked damn beautiful that way.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: 15 YEARS?!? Jun 22, 2011, 23:14 Hoop

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 23:03:
two beautiful Canopus pure 3d 4mb voodoo video accelerators

I remember those! Think the local Computer City stocked them.

Updated my post below as they were in fact 6meg cards when every other was 4meg. My memory for memory is fading.
They were such a quality card I went the whole voodoo 2 generation without upgrading. Did upgrade to a cheap voodoo 2 near when the geforce arrived then got a geforce when their prices dropped.
I was the first of our group of lan buddies to upgrade to the newly arrived Pentium 2 which had the encased fan just prior to Unreal being released.sigh

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 23:41.

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: 15 YEARS?!? Jun 22, 2011, 23:03 nin

two beautiful Canopus pure 3d 4mb voodoo video accelerators

I remember those! Think the local Computer City stocked them.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 22:58 Pankin

I always enjoy posting this little reminder of Blue's humble beginnings when there's an important Quake anniversary. Plus, I know he gets a kick out of it too.

It's an entire Quakecast via Pseudo Online Network from Oct 2, 1997. Yowza!

http://www.cvanepps.com/audio/quakecast_oct_2_1997.mp3

The fan mail read at the 6:00 mark (the one comparing Quakecast to Howard Stern) was from me. I love the Eddie Jones ad for the SpaceOrb 360 at 35:59. "Girlbomb's a creep!" LOLers!

Anyway, enjoy all! And congrats to Blue, for being the venerable gaming presence for all these many years.

22. Re: 15 YEARS?!? Jun 22, 2011, 22:54 Hoop

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 22:16:

[UPDATE] I was trying to remember when I got around to getting my first 3D card. It was a 6MB 3dfx Voodoo Banshee I believe, and I don't think I got it until after Half-Life came out, so somewhere around late 1998/early 1999. I remember seeing Quake 2 at the computer shop I worked at for the first time, with bilinear filtering, thanks to a customer's computer brought in for service. That was neat.

My first 3d card was a shitty voodoo rush (IE 2d/3d combined). It was ok at glQuake, but nothing great. Back then, we all talked about how big our FPS was, and I was on the short end.

Then Unreal came out, and blew everyone's mind. The rush could barely run that, so it was time to step up and buy a Voodoo2.

So many awesome memories!

Ok here comes my pure can'o 'piss story again.

I believe my good friend Edwin & I were the first of very few in New Zealand to own 3dfx voodoo graphic accelerators.
Shit we may have been the first.
Edwin who was older than me & prepared to ship from the states two beautiful Canopus pure 3d 6mb voodoo graphic accelerators (at the time 4mb was the most on other brands) at I think $400.00 NZ each. This gave us bragging rights for quite a few months before the 8meg monster cards came out.
I remember unpacking them like it was yesterday.
The size of them almost floored us, we thought fuck they are'nt going to fit the cases, ended up having to cut away some of the hard drive racks. Eddie modded an improvised cpu heatsink fan for each reaching out over the cards chipsets.
At the time not one voodoo card was available here.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/canopus.htm

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2011, 05:47.

Um .. Behind you...

21. Re: 15 YEARS?!? Jun 22, 2011, 22:16 nin

[UPDATE] I was trying to remember when I got around to getting my first 3D card. It was a 6MB 3dfx Voodoo Banshee I believe, and I don't think I got it until after Half-Life came out, so somewhere around late 1998/early 1999. I remember seeing Quake 2 at the computer shop I worked at for the first time, with bilinear filtering, thanks to a customer's computer brought in for service. That was neat.

My first 3d card was a shitty voodoo rush (IE 2d/3d combined). It was ok at glQuake, but nothing great. Back then, we all talked about how big our FPS was, and I was on the short end.

Then Unreal came out, and blew everyone's mind. The rush could barely run that, so it was time to step up and buy a Voodoo2.

So many awesome memories!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. 15 YEARS?!? Jun 22, 2011, 22:03 Riker

It is indeed extraordinary how time flies... that's just crazy hard to believe. My fondest memories of Quake were with Quake 1 CTF. Because of latency, I tended to play mostly (but not exclusively) with bots, but it was still a helluva lot of fun.

Even though I was quite good at Quake 1 CTF using only the keyboard, eventually I bit the bullet and trained myself to use mouselook. I remember trying to shoot, strafe, and look down all at the same time... which was the insta-game-killing combination of CTRL+ALT+DEL. And today mouselook is the standard, and by far the best control mechanism for first-person games considering all platforms.

Happy birthday, Quake, and thanks, id.

[UPDATE] I remember my first time seeing a 3D-accelerated game first-hand; it was with Quake 2 at the computer shop I worked at, thanks to a customer's high-end computer brought in for service. That was neat. I was trying to remember when I got around to getting my first 3D card. It was a 6MB 3dfx Voodoo Banshee I believe, and I don't think I got it until after Half-Life came out, so somewhere around late 1998/early 1999. Until then I had been struggling along in software mode at 512x384. I vaguely remember the card getting less-than-ideal reviews due to image quality or something, but it was quite a thrill for me regardless.

[UPDATE #2] Okay, I'm done editing this post now.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 22:17.

19. No subject Jun 22, 2011, 21:01 AnointedSword

I did this as well, and shot you an email about it. Lets get together and bust some faces. Man, I just loved Rocket jumping and coming down on someone's head with a rock or two!:)  
If you were right, I would be agreeing with you.

18. Re: Happy Birthday, Quake.... Jun 22, 2011, 20:44 frag.machine

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 14:58:

Steve & Walter: Hard to believe we've know each other as long as we have. What a crazy and amazing world, eh?

^D^

I was thinking something similar when I dug up my QUAKE CD and I recalled how I got it autographed at that QuakeWorld event in SoHo. Sure enough, it's signed by Carmack, Romero, and *scribble*. The last is probably American McGee by the looks of it, but I can't be sure. Not sure why I didn't get it signed by the other guys. Anyway, it is indeed hard to believe that will have been 15 years ago this September.

Ohhh... A autographed Quake CD. It's like having Monalisa with a dedicatory from da Vinci himself.

For all of you Quake veterans, the 2011 QEXPO is happening at http://expo2011.quakewiki.net. Engine coders, mappers and modders are showing their current projects for Quake, Quake 2 and Quake 3.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 17:31 Dmitri_M

I got Quake bundled with my highend Creative Labs 3D Blaster Rendition Verite V1000 with 4mb graphics memory. Two years later a bag containing that CD was stolen from my car. Happened to be after a LAN party. Lost a lot of good stuff to that fucker. I still have the Q manual though. And of course a 1 gig folder dating back to those days that somehow worms it's way onto all the PCs in my life. You never know when you'll be freelancing in an office and it turns out one of the other artists is an old quake player. Proper old quake. Not Q3. And you "say guess what I have.." and then 4 hours later it's midnight and the fraglimit of 100 has been hit on Aerowalk and your eyes are glazed over like it's 1997. It's rare, but it does happen.

EZQuake is by far the best Q1 version if you're looking for a streamlined "original QW" experience.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 16:05 Capella

Has anyone played with the DarkPlaces mod? I tried it but only get about 2 fps. I am thinking my 4850 should do better than that.

Here is the link to the mod: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

15. Re: Happy Birthday, Quake.... Jun 22, 2011, 14:58  Blue 

^D^

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 14:57 OldScho0l

Same here! 8MB Canopus Pure 3D. It was awesome!  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 14:40 CrimsonPaw

Hmmm, I didn't realize that I got married on the day Quake came out; makes sense though since I remember working at Best Buy and playing the demo of it around that same time. Been married for 15 years; been gaming for more than twice that.  
~~Crim~~

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 14:34 cbusylol

I go back and read a bit of the ~97 news archive all the time. There's just something warm about reading all the cutting edgeness of the time and seeing how influential Quake was. There should be a Q or Q2 server set up or something for old time's sake.  

11. Happy Birthday, Quake.... Jun 22, 2011, 13:09 ^Drag0n^

^D^

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 12:51 Jim

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 09:57:

Ah, yes. The game that made me buy a 3d card.

I was a bit behind the curve, as I didn't get my first 3d card until Quake 2, but Quake was the game that brought me to Blues News.

Jim

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo