Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend

A new Q&A on FPSguru.com discusses Tribes Ascend with Todd Harris, COO of Hi-Rez Studios, developers of the upcoming first-person shooter. Along the way he assures them the PC is the lead platform on this game: "Tribes: Ascend is being developed as a PC title first and foremost. Any console release will be much later." He also explains their goal of satisfying fans of the entire series:

Calling the Tribes community "passionate and vocal" is quite the understatement. I've always viewed Tribes more like a fast-paced, high-flying online sport than just an FPS. And Tribes fans are certainly as passionate as the most hard-core sports fans. Think about the fierce debates involved with a proposed rule change in sports, say moving the 3-point line in basketball, and you get a sense for how the community argues even among itself about which previous Tribes was actually the best and why, and how to best improve the game. Of course as the Dev team we want to remain true to the core IP but also improve and evolve the franchise.

So our biggest challenge is that, even though Hi-Rez has a great reputation for working with the community, in the case of Tribes it is not a single community. The community is actually divided into sub-factions in that some believe T1 was best, some T2, and some T:V. This is also a huge opportunity because we have a chance to bring all these skilled and incredibly knowledgeable players together within our single brand new title, Tribes: Ascend, and introduce the franchise to a new generation of FPS players.
We answer most fan mail with the acknowledgement, 'we know how much Tribes means to you, and we'll try not to f*** it up'.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 24, 2011, 02:37 Beaner

Overon wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 14:41:
Tribes 2 had 64 man servers almost a decade before any other first person shooter. How can they possibly not have dedicated servers? How can you play a game where you need to lead your target in the z access peer to peer? Please.

Well other than eye candy its a known fact gaming is devolving. 32 players = Unreal Engine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 21:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 17:53:
Wow. I thought these guys had some understanding of the Tribes community but apparently not.

Ugh, after listening to the podcast, I have even lower expectations. They're adding leveling and unlockables.

I repeat my earlier comment: this game is already fucked, boycott it.

41. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 17:53 Jerykk

Welp, fuck that then. Part of what Tribes tolerable was the communities ability to mod the disaster that was vanilla.

If you mean T1 client-side scripts that made it easier to ski, use inventory stations and keep track of scores and such, I agree. If you mean the server-side modifications that completely changed the rules of the game and added ridiculous new weapons and items, I wholly disagree. Mods like Renegades and Shifter were terrible and existed solely as a reaction to new players being unable to learn the skills necessary to compete in Base.

It was an earlier interview: http://www.tribesnetwork.com/apps/podcast/ (edit: I believe it was this one)

Main points:

A) They control the content. They're justifying this by saying they're going to keep making content for awhile, but essentially they don't think they can charge for content unless they stop the community from making it. No mapping, no modding.

B) They control the servers. They plan on letting people rent private servers from them.

Wow. I thought these guys had some understanding of the Tribes community but apparently not.

Ugh, after listening to the podcast, I have even lower expectations. They're adding leveling and unlockables.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 18:36.

40. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:19 OldScho0l

Beaner wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 06:18:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 22:01:
Total BS till I see it happen. Crysis2 and The Witcher 2 are prime examples of this BS.

Well at least they aren't chained down by a big publisher. The Tribes franchise has been a sad victim of publisher stupidity and ignorance.

So True. I just about cried the day the Dynamix doors were locked and the employees turned away. It was like a close friend had just been murdered.

39. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:14 OldScho0l

LittleMe wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 23:19:
I didn't even know a Tribes sequel was in the works. Can we hold more than two weapons at once? lol
I doubt it. Consoles will make that decision for them just like every other game since 360 came out.

38. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:11 OldScho0l

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 21:53:
Translation: "we've ALREADY fucked it up, but the somewhat rabid fanbase will probably buy it anyway, so we're holding off spending money getting it certified for Xbox in case we need that money to survive in the coming months instead."

Yup! Exactly what Google translate said when I copied it in. /sigh

37. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:07 OldScho0l

Evil Timmy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 21:21:
Great...the thing that made Tribes enjoyable (and I was a T2 fan first and foremost) was the combination of smoothness and speed. If you played well, you'd be moving at incredible speeds but actually aiming slowly, as each motion was carefully planned and targets were more allowed to drift in front of you than aimed at. The kind of motion needed really is only possible with the speed and precision of a mouse; a controller may be a hindrance in a standard FPS but this would humble even the most skilled twinstick user. Let's hope this really is true and they set it up for the skilled PC user, then just slow everything down for console peasants.

Yeah, playing any Tribes game on a joystick would be terrible. Since they are planning to have it on console eventually, that means that we are going to get screwed. There are like 200 seperate keys used in Tribes2. I dont see that happeing on a console without ruining the game.

36. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:02 OldScho0l

Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 20:25:
I'm going to be harsh: If you plan on releasing Tribes Ascend on consoles, that means you are going to be making game design decisions with the future console ports in mind. Given this fact how do you not compromise what made Tribes, Tribes?

I hope they prove me wrong.

The community is actually divided into sub-factions in that some believe T1 was best, some T2, and some T:V.
Okay I understand the T1 vs T2 part, it's definately true. But T:V? That must be the biggest overstatement ever. The only thing T:V had was a pretty decent single player story and pretty graphics.

I completely agree with you.

35. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 16:00 OldScho0l

Jerykk wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 20:21:
Nice! That certainly alleviates some concerns. It's also good to see that they are aware of the fanbase and how divided it is between T1, T2 and T:V. That said, I'm not sure how they plan on uniting the fanbase, given that their tastes often conflict.

I'm still not expecting much but hopefully they can surprise me.

The only way that I can see them uniting the fanbase is to make such an aweful sequel that all factions hate it equally. A good example would be for it to be a console port. If Sony of Microshaft throws enough money at them, this will likely be the outcome. Remember when all of us PC gamers were excited about Halo and M$ stepped in, bought Bungie and shafted us PC gamers? This could happen all over again.

34. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 15:51 OldScho0l

The mere thought of a Tribes game on a console makes me cringe.  

33. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 15:21 Verno

They aren't doing P2P, they're doing the rented host approach like EA does nowadays. Basically what it means is that you get little control over the server since you have no access to the binary and few mods, if any at all.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

32. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 14:41 Overon

Tribes 2 had 64 man servers almost a decade before any other first person shooter. How can they possibly not have dedicated servers? How can you play a game where you need to lead your target in the z access peer to peer? Please.  

31. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 12:30 Sambuca

Maybe they will actually listen to the fans and make modding, mapping and dedicated servers a high priority. If they don't develop the game with these features in mind, it will be much harder to add later.  

30. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 11:06 space captain

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 08:58:
Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 05:46:
Uh, where did you get any of that information? I didn't see any mention of it in the interview.

It was an earlier interview: http://www.tribesnetwork.com/apps/podcast/ (edit: I believe it was this one)

Main points:

A) They control the content. They're justifying this by saying they're going to keep making content for awhile, but essentially they don't think they can charge for content unless they stop the community from making it. No mapping, no modding.

of course you need citations to find that shit... you think they would advertise that "feature"??

again, i dont give two shits about this until i can play it - then we will see if it deserves to be called "tribes" or not

Go forth, and kill!

29. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 09:23 Hump

I'd like to see if this guy is as polite and understanding when they finally release the game and the "community" gets to comment.

I predict Todd Harris will quit working in the industry at that point and go into growing and selling flowers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

28. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 09:00 Verno

Welp, fuck that then. Part of what Tribes tolerable was the communities ability to mod the disaster that was vanilla.  

27. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 08:58 Suddenly_Dead

Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 05:46:
Uh, where did you get any of that information? I didn't see any mention of it in the interview.

Main points:

B) They control the servers. They plan on letting people rent private servers from them.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 09:09.

26. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 08:56 Verno

Jackplug wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 04:30:
No map editor, no dedicated server software and no changing of rules. 3 strikes, they're out...

Talk about kill the game before its released..

[Citation needed]

I hate to be that guy but your post is begging for it.

25. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 06:18 Beaner

Bumpy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 22:01:
Total BS till I see it happen. Crysis2 and The Witcher 2 are prime examples of this BS.

Well at least they aren't chained down by a big publisher. The Tribes franchise has been a sad victim of publisher stupidity and ignorance.

24. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 22, 2011, 06:09 Beaner

They did mention no mods, mapping or dedicated servers in other interviews. Granted they may change their tune on some of that at a later date. Who knows.  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo