Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gaikai's Walmart Deal

A new Walmart Gamecenter Page offers online game sales, and will soon offer streaming game demos courtesy of Gaikai, the cloud-based gaming startup founded by Dave Perry. VentureBeat spoke with Perry about this development, and learned how it works:

With Gaikai, users can play any game through a web browser, without downloading anything. If the user’s connection speed isn’t fast enough, Gaikai doesn’t make an offer to play the game. That way, users won’t have a bad experience.

“Over the next 12 months, when people see a video game on TV and want to try it out, they can be sure the fastest way will be on Walmart’s website,” Perry said. ”It’s an exciting time and you’ll see more sites around the world doing these stealth launches with us.”

Under the deal with retailers, Gaikai gets paid for the number of minutes a user plays the streamed game. Perry said that Gaikai is in talks with 20 game publishers to enable them to reach Gaikai’s web site distributors. It already has a deal with Electronic Arts to stream its games.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 20:46 Dev

Blue,
Thanks for rewording the article to read "will soon offer"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 19:48 J

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 18:02:
Two words. Bandwith caps.

Heck, one word: Bandwidth

10. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 18:02 Cutter

Two words. Bandwith caps.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 17:14 StingingVelvet

This is how streaming should be used. Not as pretend purchases on Onlive, but as demos like this.  

8. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 16:53 Dev

Mastaba wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 15:16:
You do understand that this particular Walmart webpage has existed long before this announcement and that the Gaikai streaming effort via Walmart's page has not started yet, right?
Generally release announcements with press releases are timed so that when the announcement is made, games are available at that moment. Unless the purpose is to build hype and its just announcing its under development.

In this case it wasn't really announced in a press release by walmart, intead gaikai just kinda said they scored the deal in the interview with VB.

Oddly enough the interview seems to imply that dead space 2 is playable NOW with it:
The newly discovered Walmart.com Game Center web site shows that you can now play a game such as Electronic Arts’ Dead Space 2 video game simply by clicking on a link

Unfortunately I think what happened was the interviewer confused the beta testing being described by the gaikai guy as being live at the walmart site.

I think blue picked up on the original interview and assumed whoever did the interview was competent enough to know what he was talking about, and thus worded this news blurb this way. From what I can tell though, this gaikai deal isn't yet live.

The most amusing part to me is that walmart is selling dead space 2 for xbox 360 and ps3 for $55 and for PC for less than $20.

7. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 15:16 Mastaba

You do understand that this particular Walmart webpage has existed long before this announcement and that the Gaikai streaming effort via Walmart's page has not started yet, right?  

6. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 14:56 Dirwulf

Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 14:09:
Dirwulf wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:39:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:22:
LOL. They have a horrible Gameboy-like 8 bit scroller Hawx2 shooter and a defense web game PlantsvsZombies, that's it.

Apparently you've never played either of these games. Hawx 2 is a arcadey combat flight sim, but no way is it an 8 bit scroller. You are very high. And Plants Vs Zombies is a very good tower defense game, I highly recommend it. It sold quite well on Steam and many other platforms. And the web version is just a demo.

Why not click on the link for information before you try to tell someone they're wrong?

"Own the skies with your piloting skills and support Ghost Recon Troops in our 8-bit H.A.W.X. game - H.A.W.X. Blast from the past."

Direct quote about the game available. Add to that, the title bar for the game says "H.A.W.X. 2" for some reason and has the picture of the H.A.W.X. 2 cover beside it.

You're right...I didn't click on the buttons, since I had played both games before. I've played time restricted full game demos over a web site previously, so I mistakenly assumed Walmart was doing the same thing. I have no idea how that 8 bit Hawx is going to sell Hawx 2, and I think that home page is slightly misleading as it says "HAWX 2 play now!!" I blazed over the tiny writing that says 8bit in the description. I apologize.

5. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 14:09 Teddy

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:39:
LOL. They have a horrible Gameboy-like 8 bit scroller Hawx2 shooter and a defense web game PlantsvsZombies, that's it.

Apparently you've never played either of these games. Hawx 2 is a arcadey combat flight sim, but no way is it an 8 bit scroller. You are very high. And Plants Vs Zombies is a very good tower defense game, I highly recommend it. It sold quite well on Steam and many other platforms. And the web version is just a demo.

Why not click on the link for information before you try to tell someone they're wrong?

"Own the skies with your piloting skills and support Ghost Recon Troops in our 8-bit H.A.W.X. game - H.A.W.X. Blast from the past."

Direct quote about the game available. Add to that, the title bar for the game says "H.A.W.X. 2" for some reason and has the picture of the H.A.W.X. 2 cover beside it.

4. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 13:39 Dirwulf

3. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 13:31 Creston

Big surprise that EA is the first to sign up. They're drowning in jizz at the thought of renting games to players.

Creston

2. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 13:27 Dev

After a certain minimum bandwidth, I think the latency matters FAR FAR more to services like gaikai.  

1. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 13:22 Bumpy

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo