Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today

The 2K Games Forums have word that the playable demo for Duke Nukem Forever should now be available on Xbox 360 for all Xbox LIVE Gold members, and should be released for all Steam owners around noon eastern time today: "As you all know, last week, after 15 long years, against all odds, Duke Nukem Forever launched. Today we are giving people the chance to try the game for themselves. The Duke Nukem Forever demo will go live on Xbox 360 at 2 AM PDT and on Steam at 9 AM PDT. (We are currently working with Sony to get the demo out as soon as possible too.) If you haven't played DNF yet, now is your chance to try out part of gaming history and have some big fun Duke style -- check it out and tell us what YOU think." Thanks Voodoo Extreme.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 22, 2011, 08:43 kanniballl

Cave Johnson wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:41:
Please, please leave the gameplay as-is. All we want is updated graphics and music. Please do what LucasArts did for their Monkey Island reboots. I guarantee you will win a whole new generation of gamers with minimal development costs.

I don't think that works, unless you have a specific word for "classic"

Some games would be fine: Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Privateer, etc.

But...

Doom 1 and Doom 2 - very fun in my youth. However now-a-days you aren't going to win anybody over with a re-hash with a new graphics engine. It was too basic: only movement, activate, shoot. I'd still find it fun, but I doubt it will win anyone over more than CoD or whatever.

Leisure Suit Larry - a fun and funny game with a mix of graphics and text based gaming. I'd get a kick out of it, but honestly that wouldn't fly so well. The whole "type in the commands" thing would probably make the youngsters today want to cut themselves.

Full Throttle (and similar) - I'd enjoy a remake but I doubt the average youngster today would enjoy that kind of game.

I could list more counter examples but you get the idea. As fun as some of the classics were, their mechanics are too primitive for today or were for a different generation.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 22, 2011, 05:56 Yuioup

I played the demo yesterday on my xbox.

Man ... respect to the developers who finished it but it was clear that they had nothing to work with.

This game is pretty bad. Poor level design, poor mechanics and a complete lack of excitement in any form. I only played a part of the demo - I got bored after the lacklustre driving sequence.

This is not even worth it as a bargain bin game. About 2 euros would be around the right price. Not 20 en definitely not 60.

23. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 18:50 Jackplug

This game rates along with all the other biggest hyped bullshit games of all time like Daikatana.  

22. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 17:41 Kxmode

CythrawL wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 12:55:
This goes true for a lot of the older games.. Some need re-mastering as it were.

Quake 1 looks like its going to be (although that Doom 3 mod Shamblers Castle is amazing). But others like Tie Fighter, Hexen, SOF 1&2, POD, and many others would really benefit from a remaster (Note: not Reboot). Some of those older classic games are hard to get running on a modern system these days, and when you do you wish they would look better even though the gameplay is still totally solid.

The gaming industry loves to copy Hollywood and visa versa. I think it's only a matter of time before they try to reboot some of their older classics. This message goes out to all developers considering the move. Please, please leave the gameplay as-is. All we want is updated graphics and music. Please do what LucasArts did for their Monkey Island reboots. I guarantee you will win a whole new generation of gamers with minimal development costs.

21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 14:36 Teddy

Yep. SOF2 had the ability to create random missions. It used templates of areas, tossed in randomly placed groups of enemies (in random numbers) and off you went.

Granted the mission types were generic, "Get item from here, go to extraction point." or "Escape from the prison camp and get to extraction point." But such is the nature of randomly generated stuff, they have to have a basic framework.

Let me see if I can't find some info on it.

Edit: Templates isn't really the right term. It wasn't one set of levels that just had randomly placed enemies. I mean more, sections of map strung together in different orders, you'd see repetition in the buildings, but they'd be in different locations, etc.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 14:50.

20. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 14:07 Ant

Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 12:56:
Ant wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:55:
Anonymous wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:48:
Anyone out there love Soldier of Fortune 2 as much as I do?
SOF was cool, but not awesome.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. The ability to randomly generate missions in a first person shooter made it pure awesomeness. Something that no one has done since, to my knowledge.
Wait, randomly generate missions? I don't remember that. Maybe I didn't play SOF2. I know I played ONE. Isn't SOF the one in Iraq or somewhere? And it was the first FPS to shot off body parts?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:56 Teddy

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. The ability to randomly generate missions in a first person shooter made it pure awesomeness. Something that no one has done since, to my knowledge.

18. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:55 CythrawL

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 11:53:
I fucking LOVE SoF. I still replay it from time to time, and I seriously wish we'd get a (real) new SoF with a modern engine.

Creston

This goes true for a lot of the older games.. Some need re-mastering as it were.

Quake 1 looks like its going to be (although that Doom 3 mod Shamblers Castle is amazing). But others like Tie Fighter, Hexen, SOF 1&2, POD, and many others would really benefit from a remaster (Note: not Reboot). Some of those older classic games are hard to get running on a modern system these days, and when you do you wish they would look better even though the gameplay is still totally solid.

17. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:51 CythrawL

No that Boss fight IS the beginning of the game.....

Then it dumps you into some levels quite a ways into the game

16. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:14 Dev

Drayth wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 11:19:
I'm pretty sure it starts from the beginning of the game (I'm not getting the full copy till there's a massive steam sale on it).. then jumps to some part futher into the game.

And no, no multiplayer.
Probably not beginning of game, it starts you right into the boss. I think its end of first level, then jumps you ahead to one of the truck riding sequences.
(first access demo did anyway I think this one does too)

15. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:53 Creston

I fucking LOVE SoF. I still replay it from time to time, and I seriously wish we'd get a (real) new SoF with a modern engine.

Creston

14. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:25 Rilcon

Thread is now about SoF 1. God damn that game was fun; it played the GORE AND VIOLENCE card a lot, but had the gameplay to back it up.

I managed to finish 1 and 2 on whatever the hardest difficulty was called by only killing bosses and trigger enemies. That was good times.

13. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:22 DanteUK

At least they're releasing a demo.

I'll try it no matter how bad they say it is. There has to be SOMETHING in it worthwhile...

I am NOT looking forward to boring shooting though. Duke Nukem 3d's shooting was fucking cool between the blood splatter on walls that was animated (What the fuck happened to games doing this?) and the aliens choking on their own blood.

Also the bootprints in the blood were cool too.

I'll bet you anything they don't have blood pools, blood spatter, cool gory decals (note I said cool mind you) or dismemberment.

From playing the full - no, none of those cool things are there.
Loved SOF2 - especially online!

So many levels and idea in DNF look cool and fun for about a minute or so, then become bah. The whole shrunk level with electrified water on the ground looks so fun, trust me it gets dull and annoying very quickly! and I think that about sums up most of the levels actually.
I thought all the titties and lap dance bits might cool and fun but it left me cold. Funny what adding 15 years to your age does.

12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:19 Drayth

I'm pretty sure it starts from the beginning of the game (I'm not getting the full copy till there's a massive steam sale on it).. then jumps to some part futher into the game.

And no, no multiplayer.

11. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:16 Ant

Drayth wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 11:13:
Ant wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:46:
nin wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:17:
You too can see how bad the game is!!!

Go get em, Ant!

Yay! Bah to Steam again! Finally we can see how crappy it is! I hope I can play it during my long Independence Day 2011 weekend.

It took me less than an hour to play through the demo, Ant. It's very short.
Aren't most game demos short these days? Does it even come with multiplayer?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:15 Overon

Did they pick the beginning of the game for the demo?  

9. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:13 Drayth

Ant wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:46:
nin wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:17:
You too can see how bad the game is!!!

Go get em, Ant!

Yay! Bah to Steam again! Finally we can see how crappy it is! I hope I can play it during my long Independence Day 2011 weekend.

It took me less than an hour to play through the demo, Ant. It's very short.

8. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:09 Verno

Ratty wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:55:
At least they're releasing a demo.

I'll try it no matter how bad they say it is. There has to be SOMETHING in it worthwhile...
Ditto. Already decided to maybe get this when it's ten bucks or so, but I'll try the demo. Who knows, right?

The demo has literally no redeemable gameplay or features in it. Wait, you can draw on the whiteboard. That's about it. They took the most boring parts of the intro and another level then mashed them together to make the demo.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

7. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 Beamer

Also the bootprints in the blood were cool too.

I still remember getting the PC Gamer or CGW with the first big preview of the game. It talked about the bootprints in blood. I was mesmerized. Still remember where I sat reading that, and reading about pipebombs in elevators, etc.

Downloaded DN3D from GOG over the weekend, though. Has not held up. The control scheme kind of kills it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 10:55 Ant

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo