Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play

The City of Heroes Website announces that City of Heroes Freedom will launch later this year, brining a free-to-play component to Paragon Studios' MMORPG. This will be a hybrid method which will still include subscriptions as well as the ability to play gratis. There's an interview on the topic on Gamasutra, and here's word on what this means to existing subscribers:

All current City of Heroes subscribers will automatically be upgraded to VIP accounts when City of Heroes Freedom launches. When City of Heroes Freedom launches, you will continue to enjoy all of the subscription benefits and content you enjoy today, as well as brand-new exclusive rewards, features, and services. Additionally, beginning on July 1, 2011, you will earn 400 Paragon Points each month. When City of Heroes Freedom launches, you will become a VIP player, and you will start with a tidy sum of Paragon Points to spend in the new in-game Paragon Market.

View
10. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 15:52 kanniballl

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 15:32:
I poked my head in DCUO the other day just to see what was going on (I still had the free sub going from after the hack) and the beginner area was a ghost town.

And Champions, ugh... I'll probably never play that again because of how gimped the F2P is. In the 30 days after I bought it for like $5 on a Steam sale, I created an Iron Man-type power suit hero and played him up to level 25 or so.

It got REALLY REALLY bad just prior to the hack, I tried a little after and it was still fubar. There are pretty much only 2 or 3 populated servers anymore (like 1 PvE and 2 PvP) which is why they want to go to megaservers/merge.

Meanwhile people keep abandoning their toons to go to filled servers. But even the popular servers aren't THAT popular anymore.

As for Champions, that stinks. I know they are just about to release (or just recently released) the Force F2P powerset, I have no idea when Power Armor is coming up. Actually, my main is now a great Power Armor toon.

I went with a pre-release lifetime which paid for itself by the time I stopped (mostly) playing. I don't play that much anymore but at least all of my toons are freeform.

Really, the only real "advantage" Champions has over City of Heroes is free form. So unless they seriously gimp City of Heroes then I'd rather just play that one for free.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 15:58.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jun 21, 10:18 Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Prez
  2. Jun 21, 12:54  Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Narf2029
  3. Jun 21, 14:14   Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play kanniballl
  4. Jun 21, 14:54   Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Teddy
  7. Jun 21, 15:16    Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play kanniballl
  5. Jun 21, 15:02 Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Shineyguy
  6. Jun 21, 15:12  Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play kanniballl
  8. Jun 21, 15:18 DCUO kanniballl
  9. Jun 21, 15:32 Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play jacobvandy