Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Firefox Jun 28, 2011, 07:16 Shadowcat

Updates should be seamless and everyone should have latest.
There are solid reasons for using traditional schemes like (major).(minor).(patch), and when a user sees that the major version number has changed, they know that something really significant has changed in the application architecture, and that if they upgrade to that version there's a reasonable chance that some incompatibilities will ensue.

No, not everyone will have that interpretation, but that doesn't mean it's sensible to remove useful information for the people that do. With the new scheme, the version has no meaning for any user. The whole thing is a pointless backward step.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Firefox Jun 21, 2011, 19:53 Sepharo

Shadowcat wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 05:50:
Yeah, they've completely lost the plot when it comes to version numbers. All for some pointless number war. Morons.

End users shouldn't be paying attention to version numbers these days anyway. Updates should be seamless and everyone should have latest.

Here's my Chrome version: 13.0.782.24 beta-m

Yup, don't care.

3. Re: Firefox Jun 21, 2011, 06:08 Dmitri_M

I probably need to cull some of my addons, but man Firefox is slow.  

2. Re: Firefox Jun 21, 2011, 05:50 Shadowcat

Yeah, they've completely lost the plot when it comes to version numbers. All for some pointless number war. Morons.  

1. Firefox Jun 20, 2011, 21:48 Jim

Seems like FF4 just came out of beta last week. I guess they're following the Chrome method of versioning. And in keeping with Firefox's longstanding "every other release is a dud" trend, I'm expecting 5 to be worth trying (4 was shit, especially in Windows).  
Jim

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo