Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GRID Off the Grid

Codemasters announces the shutdown the multiplayer servers for the Windows and PlayStation 3 editions of GRID, just three years after the release of the latest installment in the Race Drivers series of racing games (thanks MCV), though Xbox LIVE play is unaffected. This has lead to outcry on the game's forums as well as calls for boycotts of other Codies games from unhappy fans. Here's word:

After three years of service, 2008’s Race Driver: GRID's online play service has been discontinued for the PS3 and PC editions of the game. This follows the decision by a third party provider to decline the offer of an extended contract to continue online play on these platforms. Race Driver: GRID for Xbox 360 is not affected. We thank fans for their support and apologise to those affected by the end of this service.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Make bed/lie in it Jun 21, 2011, 08:11 TheVocalMinority

and the bitches are LOVING IT  
Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 21, 2011, 01:52 Evil Timmy

GRID is still one of the few examples of games with an online competitive drift mode, and in any case it's the drift mode I've had the most fun with. NFSU2 was the last game I can think of that had a drift mode worth mentioning (fun, challenging, and competitive), although I've played little of the newer NFS games due to a general dislike of their look and feel. Dirt 3, while otherwise excellent, kinda fails in the drift department. So, yeah, this is a pretty crappy move on Codemasters' part...letting consumers host their own servers would be a great way to keep the community alive.  

17. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 21, 2011, 00:47 Tanto Edge

Lame.
Grid is a good game.
Wtf is wrong with them though? If you're shutting down the servers, release a patch to allow us direct connections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

16. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 19:17 Endo

And this is exactly why whenever possible, multiplayer games need to be designed to allow anyone to host their own dedicated server.  

15. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 19:02 Zandog

+1
I would be hard pressed to think they'd be willing to give up the network server files. GRID is definitely a test bed for the DiRT series and that kind of network code information is too valuable. Thanks Grid! It was a blast!

14. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 17:56 Cutter

I think 3 years is pretty fair. However, I do agree that they should allow the community to host their own servers in that case.  

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 17:39 Vulkan

See if it were me I'd release some public server software so people could keep the game alive through user run servers and party like it's 1996.

But then again, they're complete morons so that's probably too much to ask.

12. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 17:39 SectorEffector

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 10:41:
G.ood R.iddance I.nbred D.rivers!

we have GT5 , I don't need any other car games.

I got over driving simulators that apparently felt crashing wasn't a part of driving. Have fun with that.

GT5's crashes still look like a joke, and remove me from experience.
I love racing full speed, and taking corners praying I don't total the car if I mess up on this critical turn.

It just feels more... realistic.

something I think DRIVING SIMULATORS should strive for.

srsly tho, no dedicated servers = this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

11. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 17:36 FloorPie

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 13:06:
We thank fans for their support and apologise to those affected by the end of this service.

That should read: We thank fans for their support and suggest those affected by this to go out and buy the new version.

Creston

Pretty much. It amuses me that they think forcing folks to buy the new version won't anger more people than those who would not have upgraded to the new game. I find it hard to sympathize with developers who cry about increasing costs with their own official servers when the alternative is so much better. Then again, they would lose out on DLC money.

10. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 16:01 The Half Elf

Optional nickname wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 10:41:

Um no, YOU have GT5, and until Forza 4 comes out, Forza 3 still holds the crown as the console racing game of choice.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 15:10 MonkeySoup

I just bought this a couple weeks ago after giving the demo a whirl. (Sent it back for a refund to Amazon last week, it advertises as a multiplayer game in which it is broken)

It really boggles my mind that multiplayer support would just be shut off. I would bet that most people here play at least one game online occasionally that is older then 3 years.

8. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 13:58 badasscat

They want you to buy F1 2011,...duh.

I liked GRID,...kinda like an updated Test Drive..

Been a while since I've installed it,..but if it has no IP to IP
multi-player,..then this is just stupid.

rFactor has been going for ages,..all that's required is a simple matchmaker...

When Nascar 2003 died off,..and they took our matchmaker with it,..we still had the ability to host....you just had to know an IP.

Which brings me back to my stance,....if I can't host it,I don't want it....and IMHO,..FPS games are not in this rant,...race games are because they are never popular enough to hear the devs and publishers,..and they are always wanting to you to buy the same game next year with updated cars and drivers....like the Madden model.

7. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 13:06 Creston

We thank fans for their support and apologise to those affected by the end of this service.

That should read: We thank fans for their support and suggest those affected by this to go out and buy the new version.

Creston

6. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 13:00 Ginny

Wide of the mark JC, plenty still play it, i still play it.

Grids still a quality game, with no sequel yet. The compare between ea shuting down a yearly update isn't a fair one.

Codemasters realy have jumped the shark, there as money grubbs as the acti's, ea's of the business these days.

They used to be a very games/gamers first company, they built their entire reputation on it.

There last 2 or 3 releases have been market driven and low on quality with ad nauseum gameplay designed for the dlc model.

5. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 12:22 Cutter

Well I could see where both people left playing this every once in a while would be upset about this announcement.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 El Pit

Codemasters' winning streak goes on. They got hacked, lost LotRO Europe to Turbine, and now this. What's behind all this? Journalists, please investigate!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

3. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 11:45 Prez

EA has done the same with many games, and in shorter times following release. I can't play coop Mercenaries like I used to enjoy doing; they killed that server a scant year after release.

Well, technically you can still play coop using a custom server, but still it shouldn't require such geek fu.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 10:42 swedishfriend

Three year lifespan? That is ridiculous. I buy plenty of games for the first time when they are that old or older. So the game will never work as advertised for someone like me? They could have at least let the community take over. Where are consumer protection laws for this sort of thing?  

1. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 20, 2011, 10:41 Optional nickname

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo