Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2011, 08:40 Shadowcat

2 hours? Wow. My longest games haven't exceeded 1 hour, and that's pretty much only when things have gone badly and I'm pinned down and playing cat-and-mouse to try to resurrect my chances...

But I do understand how you could spend that much time checking every possibility. I tend to try to figure out what's most likely, and ignore the options that are not yet a concern. Sometimes I end up dead as a result, mind

It's a great game. There are still some bugs, but nothing which should put anyone off buying it. The core mechanic of simulating what you think the enemy might do is unlike anything I've played before.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 17:43 jimnms

I haven't started the campaign yet or played a MP game. I've only done a couple of missions using the skirmish generator. I did play the tutorial and watch the tutorial videos. My first game lasted two hours and only took two turns. The first round didn't take me too long, but I was in a situation on the 2nd round when one of my guys was in a bad spot. I think I over think things too much, I ran every possible scenario I could think of with the simulation before committing to a plan. I ended up going with my best defensive option, but the only way he would survive would be for the enemy to rush into the room rather than what I would have done and circle around to the window. It paid off because he rushed the room and I came out the winner because my other guys took out the rest of the AI units as well. My second game went quicker. The AI did surprise me, but I still won.  

Steam Profile

5. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 17:33 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm up to the seventh or eighth mission now. Some have taken a few tries, but I've been learning from the failures too. I've found it to be challenging, but not to the point of being overly frustrating. The toughest mission so far was probably the one where you first run into enemies with rocket launchers. That one gave me some trouble.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 14:01 UConnBBall

I am really liking it. I missed Laser Squad Nemeses from years ago. It doesn't have the different races but it sure has the strategy down. I would say this is a Turned Based FPS.  

3. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 13:23 nin

I'm only like an hour and a half in. I like it, but it is frustrating sometimes. I wish there was difficulty settings in the SP, instead of the AI just raping you from the get go. I wish I could "log in" and not be hassled every 5 seconds for a match from a complete stranger (instead, I have to stay in offline mode). I wish I could customize what weapons my characters get to use, instead of being stuck with whatever the game gave me.

Brutal AI, trying to figure out the game, and them sticking you with the short range shotgun for the first mission is not a good first impression, I'll say that.

Maybe the sequel will have those features. I went with the soundtrack edition directly from the devs, and they threw in another "album" of material and then I also tossed in the _ensnare_ album for another $6. So if nothing else, I got some good music out of the deal, and I supported an indie dev.

No regrets, just wish it was a little more polished.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 12:49 Esoteric

How are you liking it so far? I'm still honing my skills in the campaign before I start doing regular multiplayer. I'm loving the game, think it's going to be a sleeper hit.  

1. Re: etc. Jun 20, 2011, 10:38 nin

Frozen Synapse: Beginner's Guide on Games On Netů

Just started playing last night, so I welcome this. After getting my ass handed to me several times on the first mission, I'm now up to the third. It's so frustrating when things don't go well, but it also has those "holy fuck!" moments like in XCOM, when things magically go your way.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo