Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Had a fine old time over the weekend, and even overcame my bout of stomach pain to do some grilling. We had chicken breasts in a Cuban-style citrus marinate, chicken sausages stuffed with cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, and some asparagus fresh from the farmer's market. Good stuff, though I'm not sure it was all as light as we intended when we planned on avoiding red meat. Oh well, maybe we'll do better next time.

Light Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Marmoot.
Days of Monsters.
Links: Arrested Development Clue Board Game. Thanks Reddit.
Donít know much about history. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Blind woman invokes Monty Python in lawsuit against Rick Scott. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Images: How Your Dad's Jams Indicate What Tunes Are On Your iPod.
Media: Eagle drops deer on power line, causes outage.
Wet Paint Bench Prank.
Hydrogen Powered Batmobile.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2011, 06:15 InBlack

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 18:02:
The terrorist eagles disrupting America's power grid!

Gotta admit that was pretty funny...

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2011, 03:24 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 01:46:
Your house is in 2D and it sucks

To quote Monty Python... "It got better."

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5056/housewithcatacombsv2.png

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2011, 01:46 Sepharo

Cave Johnson wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 01:23:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 16:20:
Is that a map of a "large" world?

Yup. The height is always the same, the only difference between small, medium, and large is the width.

Here's my house complete with catacombs!

Your house is in 2D and it sucks

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2011, 01:23 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 16:20:

Yup. The height is always the same, the only difference between small, medium, and large is the width.

Here's my house complete with catacombs!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 18:02 Bill Borre

The terrorist eagles disrupting America's power grid!  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 16:20 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 16:17 DNForever

Thanks Cave, I considered getting it a couple weeks ago but now I defintiely will.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 14:04 Kxmode

Apparently you can create a map of your Terry world. This is the size of a typical Terry-generated world. I wish there was a way to generate a map without revealing the entire world. I want to explode and discover this for myself.

I thought the world was large but this is just MASSIVE!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 12:34 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 11:50:
Kanniballl, you can easily resolve any history deficiencies with your library card...

Obviously, or even Wiki will provide some general info on various topics. Obviously I have the money and means.

But between work, after-hours support, and having to read computer programming books/sites to keep myself current...

I'd rather dedicate my free time to reading fiction than learning stuff. I already feel like I'm in school most months because I have to learn X, Y, and Z for work during my free time.

It's something I'd "like" to do, but in the list of accessible things I'd like to do it's not even in my top 10.

Above "history" are things like home maintenance (plumbing and such), cooking, car maintenance, learning to flippin' DANCE, learning Polish, move to a new place, etc. And most of THAT isn't even in my top 10 but it at least involves some activity besides just reading.

Still, my history knowledge is better than average. For example I know the names of all the US presidents in order they served, while I doubt the "average" student today can simply name 10.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2011, 12:42.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 11:51 nin

I still need to pick that one up...I got a steam wishlist out the wazoo.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 11:50 Mr. Tact

Kanniballl, you can easily resolve any history deficiencies with your library card...  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 11:47 Mr. Tact

Yeah, been playing Terraria a bit myself. I would call it a mix between an adventure game and Minecraft. Well worth $10, IMHO. However, I'd say if you don't like side scrollers or thought Minecraft was WAY stupid, don't bother.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 11:42 Kxmode

Picked up Terraria over the weekend on Steam. So since I still haven't been able to figure out how to pronounce it I'll simply refer to said game as Terry.

Terry is a fun game! It blends the best aspects of old-school adventure gaming with your favorite MMO past-time: crafting. Entirely from crafting you build your very own town, weapons, armor, furniture, vanity items, and more! As is the case with crafting you have to go out into the world of Terry and gather mats. But it's not just a mat-gathering game, there's also an adventure game. You have to battle lots of baddies. As you move further left or right of your starting location the landscape and difficulty changes. The same is true if you dig. Apparently Terry contains any number of bosses but I'm not exactly sure how many since I'm still in the newbie stages.

I'm not at a town level yet. I've been busy making my house look fat and sassy. I even built some wicked looking catacombs (I need to find me a cool looking non-lethal skelly to tuck in a corner). I'll try and post a screenshot tonight.

Terry is rocking those old school sprite graphics and it looks great! If you're looking for something inexpensive that will suck up all your free time Terry is your ticket to fun, fun, fun!

Check out all the Terry videos on Youtube to see what the game is like.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2011, 11:57.

3. American History Jun 20, 2011, 11:01 kanniballl

On one hand, back as a kid I hated history. It was memorizing a bunch of dates and names as opposed to learning "how" to do something (math, science, etc) or at least to think that much about anything (literature, philosophy, etc).

Meanwhile the complaints about the lack of knowledge about the Korean war... I don't think any of my classes through high school covered anything that contemporary. Almost all of the focus was on older stuff (Ancient, Medieval, the Colonial US, etc) and the most recent content I recall learning was WWII. I don't ever recall spending much or any time on stuff like Korea or Vietman.

I did alright and probably know more than the average person, but looking back I wish I knew more. It is interesting to think about the past.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 10:58 Dirwulf

Hey Blue, are you one of the lucky ones "affected" by asparagus?

LOL

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 10:41 PHJF

I had... grilled chicken in a white wine sauce with red peppers, onion, and artichoke hearts.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo