Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's report on the ten top-selling games on Steam for the past week:

1. Duke Nukem Forever
  2. Left 4 Dead 2
  3. Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
  4. Terraria
  5. FEAR Collection
  6. Dungeon Siege III
  7. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition
  8. Portal 2
  9. Alice: Madness Returns
  10. Darkspore

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 21, 2011, 01:09 Dev

Prez wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 10:07:
I almost pre-ordered DS3 on Steam just to get DS1 and 2! Funny thing, I noticed that it says 1 and 2 are singleplayer-only. I was like WTF?
Weird, because they had multiplayer when I played them I dunno if they screwed up in the specs, or if steam has some weird chopped down version.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 19:39 Jerykk

GamersGate is selling Bulletstorm for $12: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BSUS/bulletstorm

Deal expires in 7 hours.

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 18:31 nin

I'll probably go $10 on DNF. Just so I can say I played the train wreck.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 17:04 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 15:08:
But CLIFFY KNOWS Bulletstorm is worth $60 dollars, how can these indie dev's be so STUPID!

I noticed that was down to $30 on Steam. Another $20 and it'll be good to go!

Yep. I'll buy it when it hits 10 bucks. That's still 5 more than I'll pay for DNF, though.

Creston

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 15:08 nin

But CLIFFY KNOWS Bulletstorm is worth $60 dollars, how can these indie dev's be so STUPID!

I noticed that was down to $30 on Steam. Another $20 and it'll be good to go!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 14:57 SectorEffector

EricFate wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 09:35:
I've already logged about 60 hours of playtime in Terraria, and I'm still not bored with it. Best $10 I've spent in the past year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 13:41 Creston

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 09:14:
I'm sure someone we all know will be along shortly to profess his love for the game and tell us how wrong we are though.

Acleacius will be happy to tell you it's the Publisher's fault.

Creston

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 12:15 Slashman

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 10:21:
DS was a bit too automated, but nowhere near awful.

I only played the demo, but felt it was awful. It got decent reviews, but all of them complain that it felt more like watching than doing.

I stuck with Diablo. Same idea, more control.

That's your problem right there. It wasn't the same idea as Diablo at all.

The class system was a 'level by doing' type. Which means you could mix classes how you liked. This didn't stand out as much in the first game because there were no really specialized class skills. But DS2 hit that out of the park with not only skill trees, but actual special attacks which could be used in desperate battles to turn the tide apart from regular skills.

The other aspect of the game was allowing you to have a large party of adventurers which you could mold into whatever you wanted (and pack animals of course).

DS and DS2 actually had some uniqueness to them which DS3 lacks IMO.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 11:36 Fish Head

I loved DS1 and DS2. As a matter of fact I'm currrently playing through DS2 in Act 3 right now for probably the 4th or 5th time.

I played the demo of DS3 to the end and enjoyed it as well. Granted, it is more consolized than the previous games, and although the full version isn't out yet, I don't believe it deserves to be shat upon...at least not yet anyway. Did you guys ever play the Champions of Norrath, or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games? Those were all good console ARPG's, and from what I have seen so far, this has the potential to be bigger and better.

Personally, I would definitely rather see some new games of this type coming out than I would another FPS or MMORPG, consolized or not.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 10:46 PHJF

DS was all right but suffered severely from comparison to Diablo (I remember it having a Computer Gaming World cover titled "Chris Taylor's Diablo Killer").

Dungeon Siege 2, however, was a vast, vast improvement and a ton of fun. I bet I played through DS2 ~6 times.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 10:21 Beamer

I only played the demo, but felt it was awful. It got decent reviews, but all of them complain that it felt more like watching than doing.

I stuck with Diablo. Same idea, more control.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 Prez

I almost pre-ordered DS3 on Steam just to get DS1 and 2! Funny thing, I noticed that it says 1 and 2 are singleplayer-only. I was like WTF?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:48 wtf_man

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 09:10:
The control scheme is an insult to mankind, as well. At LEAST allow people to rebind keys, ugh.(Demo version, if the retail allows rebinding, that's a small plus)

Even though I don't have Dungeon Siege III, my solution to games like that is my logitech G-11 keyboard. A G-11, older G-15, or the new G-510 will work. Any of them that has "banks of 3 keys" so you can put WSAD on the middle bank.

Don't get me wrong... I hate limitations due to consolization too... but a good programmable keyboard is a "blanket" work around.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:47 eRe4s3r

Well i'll agree with you, its just a terribly BORING game. Not sure how thats possible to do with a dungeon crawler and random loot... maybe because theres nearly no decent dungeons and nearly no decent random loot. Its like they wanted to clone Dungeon Siege 2 but didn't notice why it was a half-way decent hackn'slash, HINT: The story and quests were not the reason.

Add to that the terrible bone-headed inventory which only VERY slightly sorts by usefulness (as in, it sorts via a mysterious PRICE value which has no actual bearing on how USEFUL a weapon it is) . the annoying as hell camera which is either too close or to far, but never displays enough of whats in front of you or behind you...

Its just one of those "yuck" games

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:35 EricFate

I've already logged about 60 hours of playtime in Terraria, and I'm still not bored with it. Best $10 I've spent in the past year.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:15 Slashman

Dungeon Siege 1 was good fun when it came out. They fixed the holes in it with Dungeon Siege 2 but neglected to upgrade the graphics sufficiently to make DS2 really stand out.

But DS2 really made the gameplay fun with every class having a specific skill tree and special attacks that were effective and fun to use.

DS3, from what I have read isn't bad in concept, but the execution is lacking. Like clunky controls and no health potions(where they really would have fit in with the game).

I still think that moving away from a party-based action RPG kind of removes what defined DS in the first place(and so doesn't make much sense)...but that's more a personal quibble than anything else.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:14 Verno

The control scheme is an insult to mankind, as well. At LEAST allow people to rebind keys, ugh.(Demo version, if the retail allows rebinding, that's a small plus)

The retail version doesn't let you rebind keys either and has mostly the same railed experience from what I could tell from my limited time with it. I uninstalled it within a few hours despite getting it for free as a gift from a friend. It's that poor of a game. I'm sure someone we all know will be along shortly to profess his love for the game and tell us how wrong we are though.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 09:10 MoreLuckThanSkill

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, for all of their MANY flaws, at least had you controlling four to eight PCs most of the time. The worlds were far more open than Dungeon Siege 3, and there was no failed attempt to make a true rpg out of either game, as unfortunately Dungeon Siege 3 has. I could maybe tolerate DS3 if it had been called something else, but even then it's unfortunately just boring.

To be fair, I've only played the demo, which was basically a very narrow path, with three enemy types, and a lot of loot that had almost no functional difference, piece to piece.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 08:46 Verno

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 08:21:
If I remember correctly, the first dungeon siege was far more about watching things happen than doing anything. An awful game that looked pretty and had a cool theme.

How do you consolize that?

It's the controls and user interface mainly. The gameplay itself is more like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance but unfortunately nowhere near that fun.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2011, 08:29 Prez

I don't know Beamer - I have a lot of fun with many of your so-called "awful games". Maybe I just don't have refined tastes like you.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo